SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    He is only big enough to reach two bolts but the smile on my face could not get any bigger!!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

He is only big enough to reach two bolts but the smile on my face could not get any bigger!! Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted

My oldest is finally getting big enough and having enough focus to actually be helpful and to learn how to properly use real tools.
While in the background his younger brother is somewhere swinging a 24" breaker bar like a champ.

We were able to swap out the tensioner pulley and drive belt. Now the 5.3L Vortec Motor runs whisper quiet.

I love working on cars and I hope I can enstill that love into my boys having them share in my passion.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25409 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
Father and son moments are precious memories! Congrats on including them!!

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Awesome. Remember doing all kinds of mechanical stuff with my dad. Basically learned every trade Smile My 2 daughters were just never into mechanical things. Don't wish I had a son instead of one of my daughters but it would have been cool doing car and mechanical stuff with him like I did.

Posts: 1769 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes thanks for sharing those great pictures.

I have a grandson about his age. I bought him a set of kids tools and a tool box, he loves them.
He broke the pliers putting them on a nut and squeezing them too tight.

Teach them how to do things themselves without relying on someone else to do it.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He needs a couple of dirt smudges to show Mom.

Posts: 2771 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
My son was about that age when i pulled the motor from a suburban. I have pictures of him inside the engine bay cleaning it to be shiny like the new motor which was coming.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Have him do your wheel swap, Black. Big Grin

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Have him do your wheel swap, Black. Big Grin

Hahaha, I saw the title and thought that this was going to be about the wheel swap. Big Grin

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a great photo. I am anxiously awaiting the day I can teach my children how to use tools. My daughter will pick up my 28oz hammer and hand it to me when I ask or hand me a screwdriver but she's only 2 and can't use them yet. My son is one and takes great pleasure in using his toy tools to hit everything insight.
I can only pray that one day I am blessed to have a day like yours. Tools are my livelihood. And I hope to teach my kids it is ok to work with their hands.
Sorry for the bit of a thread drift but I must say grade A work dad.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: March 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Uh oh.....This is how Two of the Jr DFs became gearheads. Now they are into fast cars and tuning. Be careful what you teach your younglings. Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29684 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bushpilot
posted Hide Post
That is precious photo Black...Something to remember for the rest of your life. My three boys all helped me as they were growing up and now my grandson is helping. Gives me a lump in my throat.

****************************************************W5SCM
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1143 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
reminds me when I was little, my brother and I would disassemble my mothers car all the time. we thought we were the pit crew. it was all fun and games until the car wouldn't start.

Posts: 5587 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Put a dab of anti-seize on his hand and. Let him run through the house lol

Posts: 23400 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSAC:
He needs a couple of dirt smudges to show Mom.

That was removal for the install. Both of them got plenty dirty. Arms, faces, and shirt. Once we got it fixed they had to go for a ride. But they were filthy so they look like my little rednecks. No shirt and no shoes riding in the back seat of an old pickup truck.
We were cranking some Alabama, Hank, and David Allan Coe!!

It was a blast.

I wish cranking those tunes in the minivan gave me the same feeling. So far new tunes have helped bring as big a smile to my face when driving the minivan. Maybe one day I'll find something.

quote:
Originally posted by synthplayer:
Having a son is, perhaps, the best thing in the world. I hear folks who never had any children disparaging kids and I think to myself, it all depends on how much of yourself you're willing to invest in them. If they know you love them unconditionally - even enough to discipline them if the need arises, they will be the best parts of your life. You have to be consistent (even when you're tired, etc.), always honest and you have to be a worthy example for them.

I congratulate you, Mark - you're obviously doing an excellent job!

You are exactly right.

I recently heard the song A Father's Love by George Straight for the 1st time and it hit home and lines up with your post pretty spot on.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25409 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Wrenching with Dad.

Memories for a lifetime.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Now teach them to swear...

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:

That part seems to come without effort in my house Wink. Just had my little guy drop the fbomb on dad yesterday- and I got the look, not the kid (guilty as charged)
Love to see your boys growing and learning, Black!

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5306 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
I have been learning or re-learning how much fun it is to teach, especially taking my nephew hunting. I didn't know how big a kick I would get out of it, and it has been a blast.

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1887 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
If they get real good at it they can join the Navy and become a Gunner's Mate Chief.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
My son learned to turn wrenches at a young age. Then he picked up a guitar and had me show him the ropes on that instrument. His sister wet sanded her Firebird GTA and painted it, then drove it through her high school years.
We used to fire up the amps, with my daughter on drums and play for hours. Great memories have been made that will live on long after I'm gone. It looks to me like you've got a good start.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post