SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Metal Cutting Services?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Metal Cutting Services? Login/Join 
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
For welding up a frame, I’d be much more concerned about warping and fit issues coming from the welding than I would about the angles being a degree or three off. Tacking, welding a bit at a time, moving around and being aware of the material warming up is much more important that getting the cuts ultra precise.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
For welding up a frame, I’d be much more concerned about warping and fit issues coming from the welding than I would about the angles being a degree or three off. Tacking, welding a bit at a time, moving around and being aware of the material warming up is much more important that getting the cuts ultra precise.

This is what I'm coming to realize & got a similar response on the Locost forum when inquiring about margin of error wrt cut angles.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
It would help to know your experience level in this type of stuff and the equipment you have.
Unless it's at a pretty high level, I would buy something like a finished frame and do the rest of the project. The other idea would be to buy a reasonable condition project car.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have built a chassis, but not completed it yet. Going to start over. For the square tubing for a locost, just get a miter saw and some cutting disks. Won't cost much and it is fit for purpose. I had a metal bandsaw as well, but the miter was fine. Good luck!

There is something good and motherly about Washington, the grand old benevolent National Asylum for the helpless.
- Mark Twain The Gilded Age

#CNNblackmail #CNNmemewar

Posts: 706 | Location: Seacoast in USA | Registered: September 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post