SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone Drive for Uber or similar?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone Drive for Uber or similar? Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted
Curious if it's worth the effort?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15302 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought I had read at some point that an average driver makes $12 an hour or something like that.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
No experience with Uber or any current driving job, but in college I worked for a while delivering for Domino’s. Initially, it seemed like I was making great money. When the engine driven fuel pump died on the 327 in my El Camino in the middle a shift one night, I was lucky a parts store was open and I had the tools to quickly replace the pump and be back on the road. After thinking it through a bit, I realized that part of that “great money” I was making was turning my car into cash. If one wants to really see what they make, they need to figure in the total operating cost on the use of their car (fuel, maintenance, loss in value due to miles, etc).

Posts: 6916 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
My neighbor, a student, used to drive for Lyft. He quit though, because he found that delivering packages for Amazon was more lucrative.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8941 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Don't forget to get a quote from your insurance company! 2 years ago I was in an accident (not Uber, Lyft, etc... related) and the insurance company asked me several times if I had anyone else in the car, and if my vehicle was being used to transport people. I think this is turning into a big issue for them. Someone has a car, at some point decides to work for Uber/Lyft and then gets in an accident. Your typical insurance probably does not cover transporting people for money.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
My uncle, a retired preacher, does it, and likes it. He enjoys both driving and meeting new people, and only has to work when he wants. I think he mostly does it during the day, maybe even Saturday and Sunday mornings.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would think the drunks horking in your ride would be less than optimal.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16083 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
That's why you need those Pet-friendly car seat covers & heavy-duty mats!

quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:

Don't drive late at night, especially on weekends, for sure.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12411 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I would ask people in your locale, but everyone I've asked averages about $20/hour. In addition, Uber keeps track of your mileage for you as long as the app is open and you are available for rides. So, you get to expense .51/mile while driving, which can knock your taxable income in half, or thereabouts.

EDIT TO ADD: RE Insurance, I was told $20/month to add coverage to your personal policy.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
It's not worth the effort. I was a Lyft driver for a year to support myself during the off-months at the school. I'd much rather have been a taxi driver, instead. Passengers can make or break your driving experience and they're often extremely critical. Few people give tips. Driving during peak times and special events can be counter-productive due to the attraction for other drivers to be operating at that same time, cutting into any profit you may hope to garner. I had several interesting passengers and some good drives over the weeks I spent driving, but in the end the money generated from driving wasn't much of a supplement.

quote:

Don't drive after midnight and you won't have to deal with that issue. This doesn't mean I didn't encounter drunks during my driving--one was even drunk at 5pm. But you ultimately have the final decision on which customer requests to accept and can even refuse service to people after meeting them.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
How do Uber drivers NOT have to obtain Commercial drivers licenses? Guys i worked with took part time jobs delivering small packages in their cars. They ended being required to get CDLs, ICC numbers and proof of commercial insurance on their cars. They quit.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post