SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    can this happen when purchasing a used car ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

can this happen when purchasing a used car ? Login/Join 
posted
Last december I purchased an "04" LeSaber .

and today someone pointed out the 7th scratch in the exterior paint,
well I can't figure out whats going on

My little red car only got two paint scratchs in 9 flippin years !

Could the dealer ( that I purchased the car from) have coated it with a magic wax that hid all of these scratchs? until now.

did I just not see any scratchs on the lil red car ,
and the dark navy color of the buick just shows scratchs better ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54626 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Yes...and yes.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
Magic wax? More likely, people enjoy keying and scratching your car. Do you still park in the same places as with the previous car? Kids in the neighborhood? It's an 04, so 17 years old. Only 7 scratches? That's less than one per year. Get a tube of touch up paint and smile

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Micro-meteors...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Let me clarify. Pretty much every car dealer uses a paint and dent guy. These guys make the rounds to dealerships offering their services. They will fill and blend scratches with various techniques and substances to hid or eliminate the visible scratches. These fixes will reveal themselves over time as they are not as durable as the original piant around them. As for the other part of the question, yes, some colors show scratches more than others.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Magic wax? More likely, people enjoy keying and scratching your car. Do you still park in the same places as with the previous car? Kids in the neighborhood?

car is in the garage, and when I am out and about its either four spaces away from other cars or in the handicapped space if available

Posts: 54626 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was it dark when you bought the car? Did you get new eyeglasses?

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
no and no

posted Hide Post
Tomcat scratched the neighbors new red Fusion.
He walked all over the hood, roof & trunk. Bad news.

If the scratches are only in the clear, you or someone with a good buffer, mild compound and finish up with glaze on a foam pad should remove the scratches & any swirl marks.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wallacemf
posted Hide Post
Years ago, I used to use "color wax" to cover/fill the scratches in the car. It came in different colors, eventually it would wear off and then I'd do it again. Maybe you were victimized by color wax Roll Eyes

Posts: 377 | Registered: December 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wallacemf:
Years ago, I used to use "color wax" to cover/fill the scratches in the car. It came in different colors, eventually it would wear off and then I'd do it again. Maybe you were victimized by color wax Roll Eyes

in other words, the crayons wore off.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Aliens?

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Post some pics. I am sure Big Deal and people with more experience have some ideas. Location of scratches would be a clue as well.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's a dings and dents place next to my car wash. For 50 bucks they pretty up my truck once or twice a year. Takes about 20 minutes, looks like a dream for a few months. I don't care because I'm always getting new scratches and dents anyway. Sometimes I think people think my car looks like a shopping cart corral.

Posts: 17142 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Aliens?

....maybe this is a local motorized version of 'crop circles'???

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
This perhaps?

Linky

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
A car dealer hide something?!
Never.

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1852 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post