SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pressure Washers any advice?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pressure Washers any advice? Login/Join 
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted
I have a Troybuilt 2450 PSI 2.0 GPM unit with a Briggs 7.75 HP engine. I have had this unit for probably closing in on 15 years. I runs great, no problems other than keeping the orifice glean in the bowl screw and keeping the hose off the muffler. I'm just spending too much time when I use it. I like to keep the driveway and pool deck clean, and an occasional automotive project and misc. I have been thinking of stepping up. Home Depot has a Ryobi 3100 PSI at 2.5 GPM and Lowes has a Simpson 3600 PSI at 2.5 GMP model. Both have Honda engines. Does anyone have experience with either or any other options? Thanks in advance!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryo..._-NA-_-203615829-_-N

https://www.lowes.com/pd/SIMPS...sher-CARB/1000142741

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
This heresy I know, but last summer I ditched my old gas unit and got an electric unit. It’s a Sun Joe brand; right around 2k psi.

It’s smaller and lighter than my old gas unit and works great for what I use it for: patio/driveway, siding, outdoor furniture, etc. I’m actually surprised how well it works at 2k psi.

On a whim I bought the round attachment for patios and it’s much, much faster than just using my old nozzle. Having gone electric and enjoying the smaller/lighter package (both for lugging around the yard and for storage), I won’t go back to a gas unit.

I know I didn’t answer your question about those two units, just tossing it out there.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
If you're willing to go to the price point of the Lowes machine you linked to, I recommend you consider this one instead.

https://www.pressurewashersdir...e-Washer/p16430.html

More volume and a CAT pump, along with a GX Honda motor and aluminum cart, make it a better alternative for $50 less money.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Simpson unit is a good product. You may also want to try a paint store as they are often very competitive on power washers.

-------------

The sadder but wiser girl for me.

Posts: 1056 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
Just upgrade the pump on your existing washer.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1087 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Try the round deck cleaner first. It's a real time saver they claim, Im looking to buy one now. Then if you upgrade the washer anyway you are GTG!

side note. In case you are comparing washers...
Honda engines are great, just be aware of whether you are looking at the consumer model GC series, or the GX professional series. (cast iron sleeve and other upgrades.)

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
The important figure is GPM over PSI.
I have a friend who used one commercially and the key to effectiveness is water flow.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
Try the round deck cleaner first. It's a real time saver they claim, Im looking to buy one now. Then if you upgrade the washer anyway you are GTG!

side note. In case you are comparing washers...
Honda engines are great, just be aware of whether you are looking at the consumer model GC series, or the GX professional series. (cast iron sleeve and other upgrades.)

The round deck cleaner kicks ass, especially on tile roofs.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the Input! Looks like I have a little time to mull it over before I jump. I have to travel for work off an on the next couple weeks unexpectedly.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I was a small engine tech, so listen carefully.

ALWAYS buy a unit with a horizontally mounted pressure washer pump. They are eons more durable than the units with the vertically mounted pump on the bottom of the engine.

The $379 unit you looked at is a Honda GC engine. It has a plastic camshaft/camshaft gear and when used on pressure washers they bust the camshaft gear 100% of the time once you get to about 100-200 hours. I used to have DOZENS of these Honda GC engines in my junk pile, because its actually cheaper to replace the engine than it is to tear it apart and replace the broken plastic bits. NEVER, and I mean, NEVER, buy a pressure washer with a Honda GC engine. The Honda GC is fine for a push-mower, but not on a pressure washer. The load is just too great for the engine to handle.

The $700 unit has a Honda GX200 engine. THIS is what you want on a pressure washer. This is an extremely durable engine, plus parts are VERY cheap for this engine to keep it going long term. If the coil goes out, its like $15. If the carb needs replaced, its like $15. This is the best pressure washer engine in the world for homeowner use. Period.

CAT pumps are industry standard. Its not a deal breaker, but if the unit you are looking at has a CAT pump, and a Honda GX200 engine (or GX200 Chinese clone engine), then that is where I would spend my money. Its honestly a lifetime pressure washer because the engine will last a super long time. If it dies, throw on one of those $99 Harbor Freight Chinese clone engines, and your good for another 20 years. If your pump dies, throw on a $200 replacement and you are good for another 20 years.

I always recommend the Honda GX200/CAT pump combo. You could buy a $350 pressure washer every 5 years, or a $700 pressure washer that will last for the next 30 years.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:

ALWAYS buy a unit with a horizontally mounted pressure washer pump. They are eons more durable than the units with the vertically mounted pump on the bottom of the engine.

The $379 unit you looked at is a Honda GC engine. It has a plastic camshaft/camshaft gear and when used on pressure washers they bust the camshaft gear 100% of the time once you get to about 100-200 hours. I used to have DOZENS of these Honda GC engines in my junk pile, because its actually cheaper to replace the engine than it is to tear it apart and replace the broken plastic bits. NEVER, and I mean, NEVER, buy a pressure washer with a Honda GC engine. The Honda GC is fine for a push-mower, but not on a pressure washer. The load is just too great for the engine to handle.

The $700 unit has a Honda GX200 engine. THIS is what you want on a pressure washer. This is an extremely durable engine, plus parts are VERY cheap for this engine to keep it going long term. If the coil goes out, its like $15. If the carb needs replaced, its like $15. This is the best pressure washer engine in the world for homeowner use. Period.

CAT pumps are industry standard. Its not a deal breaker, but if the unit you are looking at has a CAT pump, and a Honda GX200 engine (or GX200 Chinese clone engine), then that is where I would spend my money. Its honestly a lifetime pressure washer because the engine will last a super long time. If it dies, throw on one of those $99 Harbor Freight Chinese clone engines, and your good for another 20 years. If your pump dies, throw on a $200 replacement and you are good for another 20 years.

I always recommend the Honda GX200/CAT pump combo. You could buy a $350 pressure washer every 5 years, or a $700 pressure washer that will last for the next 30 years.

Excellent summation!!

Posts: 1499 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
If you're willing to go to the price point of the Lowes machine you linked to, I recommend you consider this one instead.

More volume and a CAT pump, along with a GX Honda motor and aluminum cart, make it a better alternative for $50 less money.

The one you linked to thats $50 cheaper has a Honda GC engine, and should thus be avoided. The $700 Simpson is a much better machine.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
These two units are identical. Same frames, same engines, likely the same AAA pumps, likely made in the same factory. These are good home owner units. You can upgrade to a CAT pump for about $150 more if you want, but the AAA pump should give you good service for a while if you want to go the cheaper route. You could always throw a CAT pump on later if the AAA pump dies.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEW...r-DXPW3425/204663857

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sim...nda-PS3228/203448615

This is a really good homeowner unit.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sim...-ALH3228-S/300912604

Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:

That one says it has a GC engine. Is there another one that you had in mind that has the GX?

Beth Greene

That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
He might have been referring to this one. GREAT price currently. This is a good unit.

https://www.pressurewashersdir...e-Washer/p15789.html

Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
quote:
These two units are identical. Same frames, same engines, likely the same AAA pumps, likely made in the same factory. These are good home owner units. You can upgrade to a CAT pump for about $150 more if you want, but the AAA pump should give you good service for a while if you want to go the cheaper route. You could always throw a CAT pump on later if the AAA pump dies.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEW...r-DXPW3425/204663857

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sim...nda-PS3228/203448615

This is a really good homeowner unit.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sim...-ALH3228-S/300912604

I was going to ask how to identify a CAT pump. The Lowes unit in my original post has a Triplex pump but does not specify CAT. That was some pretty detailed difference info between the two Honda engines! This time around I prefer to buy once and save my upgrading to automotive platforms. Between guns and cars and a house, there is not much time left over! If id ever hit the lottery, I would turn into a full time home hobby wrench turner!

Beth Greene

posted Hide Post
Last year my old Excel was starting to fail...pump getting wonky, Honda GC motor hard to start. I went to home depot and got a Generac 3200psi on sale for $329.00 So far it has been a beast and done everything i have needed exceptionally!

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have to move my older Northern tool unit between our garage and the barn. The handle is great if you are 5' tall or less but too short if you are 6'. You have to stoop over to wheel it. Be aware of this if you normally move it or you can make a handle extension.

Posts: 1499 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:

Bubba I am listening. Thoughts on the Subaru unit that Costco sells?

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12623 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Bubba I am listening. Thoughts on the Subaru unit that Costco sells?

From a small engine tech perspective, NEVER, EVER buy Subaru anything.

Why? Some of the most robust, best built small engines in the world are made in Japan by Subaru. So why never buy? Simple. If they work,that's great. If you ever need to fix it, IF you can find parts for it, you'll find them to be 10 times the cost of Honda parts. Ive thrown away dozens of Subaru small engines because the parts to fix them and keep them running cost far more than the engine is worth. When you tell people that it will cost $400 in parts to fix your old Suburu engine, or $300 for a brand new Honda engine, most folks will junk the Subaru and replace it.

We live in America, where Honda and Briggs dominate the parts supply chain. Parts are readily available, and affordable. Small scale foreign manufacturers, such as Suburu, just do not have a good American supply chain. Parts are so darn expensive,when you can find them. Some parts are not available at all in the states, and I have had to order direct from Japan on several occasions. For big $$$$ and a 30 day wait.

The Suburu that Costco sells has the pump on the bottom (vertical mount), does it not? Avoid for that reason alone.