SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    ripping cds to mp3 using windows question...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ripping cds to mp3 using windows question... Login/Join 
california
tumbles into the sea
posted
Is there a way to look up and overwrite the songs titles?

I'm using Windows 7 Professional / pc tower. I can change the album title and artist with a right click in the menu below.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
When you right click, you don't have the option to download the album info from the internet?

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
When I right click the album on the left side it says find album info, then a window pops up: this page cannot be displayed - fai.music.metaservices.microsoft.com. link says it's not supported anymore.

now i need a better ripper program i guess.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
mp3tag is what I use for editing. It's much more comprehensive than what little WMP or file editing allows. And it's free.

Also, MusicBrainz Picard *might* get that information just from the disc title. If not, you can opt to "look up in browser" rather than auto-fetch. You still might need to find artwork and embed it, which is what mp3Tag is good for, among other things.

MB Picard will populate a LOT of additional information if contributors added it, like contributing artists, producer, record company, maybe even esoterica like BPM.

mp3Tag will allow you to add even more tags in Advanced Settings where if your player is sophisticated enough, you can tag with moods and such, and have the player auto-compile playlists based upon that. Or add multiple genres and website links.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I use DBPowerAMP and it downloads all the info including the cover art and more.
Not free but an awesome product.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
I went to DB PowerAmp and am very happy with it.

It also will RIP to lossless file formats, if you like. FLAC format and other lossless file types can give audibly better playback than MP3s, which trade off audio quality for file size. MP3's approach was key back when portable devices had microscopic storage capability, and most digital music was being played through tinny headphones, but is less important these days.

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Windows Media Player in Windows 7 no longer does CDDB lookups. Windows 10 will.

I use Exact Audio Copy with LAME MP3 encoder. It has a couple of metadata lookup options. Depending on the album, sometimes one will work better than the other.

Yes, I know FLAC and all that, but I wouldn't be able to fit my music collection on my phone if I ripped to FLAC.

Posts: 3659 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
dbpoweramp.
Thanks - working great.

posted Hide Post
Also, if you own the CD, downloading the .mp3 is technically legal.
A lot of torrents are 320kbps & already tagged properly + album art-not for genre in my case as I use a broad Genre to group, but that's easily fixed in mediamonkey or mp3tag. AudioKid does the best in my experience for both mp3 & flac. Usually I use Amazon's 'auto rip' & just download when I order the CD.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:
Windows Media Player in Windows 7 no longer does CDDB lookups. Windows 10 will.

I use Exact Audio Copy with LAME MP3 encoder. It has a couple of metadata lookup options. Depending on the album, sometimes one will work better than the other.

Yes, I know FLAC and all that, but I wouldn't be able to fit my music collection on my phone if I ripped to FLAC.

This is what I have been using for years.

Posts: 1769 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post