SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    do you like the horn on the vehicle you drive ?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

do you like the horn on the vehicle you drive ? Login/Join 
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
In '89 I put the Delco two-tone horn out of a '65 Caddy hearse into my Dodge D150 pickup truck. It was a rich two-tone. Suitable for waking the dead Wink in a dignified manner. With a hint of grey wool three-piece suit, expertly tailored. Stylish and sincere.

With the existing horn, the Delco formed an almost exact major triad, three notes of a chord. Loud as all-get-out.

Sadly, Fathers Day '89 also saw a quick rain upon sun-baked asphalt roads. A sharp turn coupled with an inexperienced driver ended ownership of a wonderful truck.

The wrecking yard would not let me get the horn off the truck.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Tundra horn is crap. For a big gas guzzling truck its on the light side.

Also for some unknown reason when the temp drops below zero it sounds even worse.

Posts: 5414 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Mine is a weak little "meep"

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
I ride motorcycles most of the time. I have NEVER heard a motorcycle horn that impressed me.

But, bear in mind, I grew up in and around the trucking industry. I don't know how you would get enough air capacity on a bike to drive a set of train horns.... Smile

All motorcycles I have owned had wimpy horns until my 2012 Goldwing. It has a great horn. I was shocked when I first used it because I was not expecting it to be as loud as it is.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
It was a nice day, so I was wearing my hat. The snazzy one, with the feather.

I was driving along, minding my own business, when some young whippersnapper blasted his horn and then tried to run me off the road.

If I ever catch up with that youngster I'll take my cane and thrash him within an inch of his life.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30640 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FBHO
posted Hide Post
I do. Green light sleepers think it's inappropriately loud.

Posts: 1046 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: September 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:
Horn is on a list of many things that have stopped working on my daily (cd player, cab light, a/c are stand outs).
Was never very authoritative, but I never looked into changing it. Wish I was on air just so I could run a set of train horns (lowered S10).

I worked in an independent shop for about a year and one of our customers had an S10 with the bed lined with air tanks that fed two train horns, awesome sound. The Hella super tones are best next to air, I have these on my Jeep.

I'm waiting on LRAD to become affordable to the public so I can project a few notes of Thunder Struck to the dumb fucks ahead of me. Come to think of it, a dazzler would come in handy as well.

Posts: 693 | Location: West of the Pecos | Registered: July 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
I ride motorcycles most of the time. I have NEVER heard a motorcycle horn that impressed me.

But, bear in mind, I grew up in and around the trucking industry. I don't know how you would get enough air capacity on a bike to drive a set of train horns.... Smile

All motorcycles I have owned had wimpy horns until my 2012 Goldwing. It has a great horn. I was shocked when I first used it because I was not expecting it to be as loud as it is.

I purchased an XS1100 Yamaha in 79 and the salesman suggested adding an air horn the dealership could install, so why not? There was no capacity to it, the compressor blew the horn.

That horn provided much entertainment before the bike and me got between earth and a Chevy Vega. I miss that bike.

Posts: 693 | Location: West of the Pecos | Registered: July 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alpine79830:
XS1100 Yamaha in 79 (snip) I miss that bike.

Thread drift: Stickman is rebuilding an XS1100 right now. There's a thread around here somewhere about it.

God bless America.

Posts: 13483 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I used the Stebel air horn on my Suzuki SV650S for safety. Can't find a place for it on my Honda Interceptor.

I lost a horn on a Lexus RX330. They wanted $75 for the part. I went with Fiamm on Amazon for $13, replaced both, and find the Fiamm tone just fine.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I try not to use my horn unless absolutely necessary. I once drove a car for several years that did not have a functioning horn. That was in my youth, and I would not do that today. I found I was using the horn more to express emotion than anything else. Of course that was before cell phones.

Posts: 17221 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have this on my bike and is VERY loud
https://www.harborfreight.com/...-air-horn-94117.html

Posts: 632 | Location: Cajun Country, Sportsman Paradise  | Registered: March 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
I do like the horn on my newest vehicle... now!

Just swapped in a set of Flamm Freeway Blasters. Two tone, 120 DB.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4125 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had always wanted an air horn on my motorcycle, because my bike is not loud, Triumph, so my Mom bought one for me & my mechanic installed it for me. He had to make some special brackets & some extra stuff for it, but it has saved my life many times & has given me enjoyment on those occasions that people just plain are not paying attention. They bout crap themselves. Technically it is illegal, but I don't use it that often.

Posts: 537 | Registered: March 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Sure, it is fine. I mostly only ever use it to call the goat dogs. When they hear "shave and a haircut" they come running to get fed. I can't remember the last time I ever used it on a public road.

Posts: 6909 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I'm actually embarrassed to hit the horn on my 07 Civic, it's SO anemic and gay-sounding it makes me wonder what the point of having it is.

Posts: 33750 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I bought my car in August of 2014. I haven't hit the horn yet. I have no idea what it sounds like. I'm so used to chirping the siren or using it to cycle through different sirens because of work I don't use it in my personal car.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8008 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Honestly I don't think I've honked either of my cars horns yet. One of the car's I've had for two years.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Gah! Yesterday. Four lanes northbound at the traffic light. Two lanes for left turns. I was in the second (the one on the right) of the two left turn lanes, newish car with temporary (30-day) cardboard license plates on my left.

Left turn arrow comes on, we both start, car on my left starts drifting across the lane line into my lane. I could not move to the right, there was not enough room to accelerate out of the problem, brakes would not stop / slow me enough to let the other car get ahead of me.

I just laid on the horn. Not a "toot," but a long continuous non-stop blast, which brought the other driver back to this world; the car snapped back into its own lane.

At the next traffic light the driver signaled that I was Number One. Roll Eyes

I definitely need a louder horn.

I remember my 1973 Citroën DS-21. The horn was actuated by a little lever on the right side of the steering column, sort of like the turn signal lever. Move it in one direction and get a polite little "meep" for city use. Move it the other way and get a really loud highway horn. I'd love to have something like that on my current car.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30640 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
The horn in my GMC truck is fine. I'm embarrased to use the one in my wife's Subaru. My HD Electraglide's horn promptly got replaced with a Stebel air horn when I brought it home years ago. The grandkids still love it.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post