SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    do you like the horn on the vehicle you drive ?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

do you like the horn on the vehicle you drive ? Login/Join 
posted
My "65" chevell had a good horn , not great , not quite loud enough.

my "95" Pontiac grand prix's horn was on the wimpy side , and again , just not loud enough

But I find that my Buick LeSabers horn is the perfect volume and the best pitch of any of them

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54603 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
I find my Lesahbray to be adequate.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I ride motorcycles most of the time. I have NEVER heard a motorcycle horn that impressed me.

But, bear in mind, I grew up in and around the trucking industry. I don't know how you would get enough air capacity on a bike to drive a set of train horns.... Smile

Posts: 6301 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They have after market horns for motorcycles that are extremely loud.

Sgt. USMC 1970 - 1973

Posts: 411 | Location: Columbiana, Ohio  | Registered: May 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Purple Roadrunner horn on my old gal. Most excellent.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7503 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was commuting on a Gold Wing 1100, I found an article that showed how to adapt the horn from a Fiat 124 to the bike. I never did it, but as I owned a 124TC in the 1970's, I can tell you it was a good one -- loud enough, and pretty mellow.

If you're riding a bigger bike, you may want to look into it. There are probably companies out there that still supply parts for the car, since the 124 Spyder was so popular.

As to the horn on my car, a Chevy Cruze, it sucks, but I don't want to be bothered trying to install a truck air horn on it. Not enough room under the hood.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9144 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
There's always one of these.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

In other words, it's pretty pitiful. But not as bad as a motorcycle I had. That horn was pathetic, made more so by being mounted inside a fairing. I prefer to use brakes and steering to evade a hazardous driver anyway. The only times I "meep" are by accident.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Not at all. I added some 118db Hella supertone horns to my last car - wired in with a relay. I often saw people jump in their seats in front of me when I used it. I have been too lazy to remove the bumper and install another set on the new car.

Also been studying random oem horns trying to find a simple drop in replacement pair that are louder.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Not necessarily, but I'll say this- I've surely gotten my money out of that sumbitch.

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I didn't, so I changed it. Still wasn't impressed. Added another. So so. And again. Long story short, I ended up with 5 horns on my little SUV. Now it sounds sort of like the horns from the old days.

(5 horns sounds like a lot, pardon the pun Wink but heck, I have 9 backup lights)

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
No, it's rather basic and boring. I've always preferred Ferrari horns.

Posts: 5583 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
I ride motorcycles most of the time. I have NEVER heard a motorcycle horn that impressed me.

But, bear in mind, I grew up in and around the trucking industry. I don't know how you would get enough air capacity on a bike to drive a set of train horns.... Smile

Having worked on motorcycles for over 15 seasons in a past life (stopped at the end of '87) I can state that most motorcycle horns are woefully out of adjustment.
I have adjusted many that initially sounded like little more than an amplified mouse fart to one that would definitely make people move out of the way.

I also adjust my car horns to produce an authoritative audible level if needed.

Biggest problem is listening to the horn blowing while adjusting it.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Nope. Stock horns are anemic as heard OUTSIDE the cars. Frown

Changed the stock horn for Hella twin Supertone #85115 horns (375Hz & 500Hz) on my 2003 Honda S2000. A small sportscar is too easily unseen so it MUST be heard!

And swapped the stock horn on my 2011 Hyundai Sonata Ltd which sounded like someone stepped on a mouse for Fiamm #40365 12V Low Note & #40310 12V High Note 130dB horns.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The HD FXDL I presently own has a horn that sounds like the AZ Roadrunner....."meep,meep".

However, the GW I owned has a pair of serious sounding horns.

Older BMW motorcycles offered an OEM accessory loud horn set up at a modest cost.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Are you judging the sound from inside or in front of the car?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
I hardly ever use mine.

Posts: 8273 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bumper sticker: "Horn broken, look for finger".

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I currently drive a 2012 Honda CRV, so NO.

However, my 1971 Eldorado had a bitchin' horn. Damn, I miss that car.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
I've rarely needed to use the horn, but for the times I've needed to get someone's attention, the basic horn served its purpose.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post