SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Terra cotta tile kitchen floor. Doable or a pain to keep clean?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Terra cotta tile kitchen floor. Doable or a pain to keep clean? Login/Join 
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted
My kitchen currently has 12x12 laminate tiles and they're peeling up and gross. They're next to impossible to keep clean. Since we've bought the house we've wanted to replace them with 12x12 tiles of some sort. I was thinking terracotta tiles because of their rustic/southwestern style look which is somewhat prevalent in the house but I've heard they may not be the best for a kitchen. Does anyone have any experience with them or maybe other suggestions for a similarly colored/styled 12x12 tile?

Posts: 6337 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The t.c. tile I had to deal with in AZ was a p.i.t.a. +5, leveling up appliance's was horrible. Never in my home. Do you have a heated floor ? Aren't they goin to be really chilly there in winter ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
I would concerned they might break easily if something was dropped on them.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe look for porcelain tiles in that color

Posts: 3663 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by petr:

This is what I'd do.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7039 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of adobesig
posted Hide Post
They are quaint and pretty but very delicate. You are walking on clay.

Posts: 1088 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Cold, Hard, Loud, and Brittle/Chippy.

I'm not a fan.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
Terra cotta as in Mexican tile, an inch thick?
Careful of your appliances especially the dishwasher for removal purposes.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1083 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not good for a kitchen, they chip and crack if you drop heavy things on them like a pot or pan......better off with a porcelain tile.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
We have Saltillo (handmade Mexican terra cotta) tile in our kitchen at our vacation house. Never had a problem with it cracking or breaking. Confused I guess if you’re in the habit of dropping cast iron dutch ovens the tile might be damaged, but I think that would damage most kitchen floors. It is somewhat more work to keep Saltillo clean if you’re picky-the grout lines are necessarily wider because the tiles aren’t perfectly uniform in shape, and the tile surfaces are somewhat uneven. This surface unevenness also makes it uncomfortable for me to walk on barefooted. So I wear house shoes. Yeah, it’s cold in the winter months. Like porcelain tile is.

On the plus side, it doesn’t show dirt as much. We’re old people with no grandchildren and we don’t spill food on the floor very often. My wife loves the Saltillo’s appearance and absolutely wouldn’t want it replaced with porcelain tile.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
quote:
Originally posted by petr:

This is what I'd do.

Agreed. When I read "terra cotta floor" my first impulse was HELL NO.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone, I knew the people here would know. Here are some similar ones that are porcelain that I'm currently looking at:

https://besttile.com/tile-coll...rcelain/castle-cotto

https://watertowntile.com/bran.../indian-red-m-30949/

https://watertowntile.com/bran...adic-desert-m-17794/

Posts: 6337 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
To me the one from Best Tile looks the most like terra cotta. I like how they put the specs right with it too, class IV and V2.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7039 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Definately take the appliances into account if putting in thicker flooring. We had to replace the dishwasher in our last house that had heated slate floors (the entire lower floor was heated). But I had to remove the tiles in front of the dishwasher in order to replace it.
Apparently the flooring & cabinet guys didn't coordinate.

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1210 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had them in several restaurants where I worked. The grout is a pain to keep clean. We ended up using a deck brush and bleach, with huge blowers for ventilation. I say no.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post