SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    VCDL - National Reciprocity Push - HR 38 Action Items - Please read
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

VCDL - National Reciprocity Push - HR 38 Action Items - Please read Login/Join 
Serenity now!
posted
From VCDL's email:

THIS IS TIME SENSITIVE AND WE NEED TO SPREAD THE WORD FAR AND WIDE ACROSS THE NATION!

The petition requires 100,000 signature BY AUGUST 17TH to be considered by the President. Please sign and forward to any and all gun groups you know - from gun clubs, gun organizations, chat groups, friends, family, coworkers, and fellow church members!

We can do this, but we need all the help we can get from gun owners across the nation.

Here is the link to the petition:

https://petitions.whitehouse.g...ndgun-permit-holders

or

http://tinyurl.com/yakuske5

Here's the wording:

National Reciprocity for the Nation's 17 Million Concealed Handgun Permit Holders!

Mr. President, you have said many times that you would sign a national concealed carry reciprocity bill. Please urge Congress to pass H.R. 38 as soon as possible!

H.R. 38 will allow America's 17 million concealed handgun permit holders to carry in every state in the Union as they go about their lives. As the recent shooting in Alexandria shows, crime and terrorism have no borders. Neither should self-defense!

No other group is as law-abiding as concealed handgun permit holders, regardless of which state they are from.

Currently over 20 states, such as Virginia, North Carolina, and Arizona, already honor permits from all other states, without issue. H.R. 38 will simply make such recognition uniform across the nation and will save many innocent American lives!

30 days is not long, guys and gals! Use any forms of social media that you can to get the word out.

Let's roll, VCDL!

-------

PHASE 3 - CONTACT THE SPEAKER OF THE HOUSE, PAUL RYAN

Right now National Reciprocity is languishing in a House Judiciary subcommittee. We have contacted Virginia Representative Bob Goodlatte to urge him to get H.R. 38 moving. However, we must get the House leadership behind that effort.

Apparently the Speaker, Paul Ryan of Wisconsin, has not been hearing from enough people that national reciprocity is important to them.

We can certainly fix that problem!

While we are not constituents of his, he is OUR Speaker and there is a way to communicate with him as such.

ACTION ITEM FOR EVERYONE

To call the Speaker's DC office (best option): 202-225-0600
To email the Speaker: http://www.speaker.gov/contact (select "A Better Way" for Area of Interest, for Subject use: "Please get H.R. 38 to the Floor ASAP!", and for Issue use: "Homeland Security")

Talking points:

* National Reciprocity is an important bill to the 17 million concealed handgun permit holders in the U.S., as it is a life-saving measure that allows people to protect themselves as they travel around the country
* Please get H.R. 38 to the Floor for a vote ASAP

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sig 226,

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2671 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
Just a bump to get people so spam Speaker Ryan and get additional signatures.

9/11/01 Never Forget

Posts: 2671 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
Done

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Done

Posts: 590 | Registered: December 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of johnj49
posted Hide Post
Done.

Posts: 40 | Location: Stuart,Fl. | Registered: August 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
I'm a little scared of National Reciprocity.

It puts a LOT of power into a few hands; power that ought to be diffused to state level as it is now.

Consider: Pro-gun forces won't be in power indefinitely -- sooner or later the hoplophobes will be back in charge, as they were during the Obama years. If the power to set standards for issuing a CCW is in hoplophobic hands, it'll be easy for them to make those standards impossible to reach.

What I'm saying is that I fear that National Reciprocity could be turned into gun control writ large. How are you going to keep that from happening?

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I would need to see what such a bill would actually entail. Just saying we want to pass national reciprocity leaves way too much out there that concerns me like others who have expressed such reservations.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SapperSteel:
I'm a little scared of National Reciprocity.

It puts a LOT of power into a few hands; power that ought to be diffused to state level as it is now.

Consider: Pro-gun forces won't be in power indefinitely -- sooner or later the hoplophobes will be back in charge, as they were during the Obama years. If the power to set standards for issuing a CCW is in hoplophobic hands, it'll be easy for them to make those standards impossible to reach.

What I'm saying is that I fear that National Reciprocity could be turned into gun control writ large. How are you going to keep that from happening?

^^^^
This.
I guess it really comes down to how much you trust government over the long-haul vs. the immediate short-term.

I think National Reciprocity would be a huge increase in Federal power preempting local authority.
That Federal power, once established, would be under the control of whoever is in power.

The BATFE would likely have regulatory authority to decide the uniform requirements for carry which all states must follow.
It is *unlikely* they would use Alaska as a model.

There would now be a single point of concentration for all of the effort to impose burden on carry.

I don't think you can simultaneously want "small government" at the Federal level AND ask for a Federal *legislative* solution to a local problem. Legislative solutions never diminish government authority to restrict and regulate. They always increase it.

In this case, it is giving Congress and Executive rule-making agencies the *perceived* need to create or declare, among other things I'm sure the bureaucrats can think of that I can't:
- Minimum training and proficiency levels.
- Record keeping and a national database of permit holders.
- "Safety" requirements and regulations.

I'm all for state-level preemption to keep cities like Seattle from creating a patchwork of regulations, but state boundaries are pretty clear. States are welcome to negotiate with each other and create reciprocity, based on their own perceived needs.

At the same time, we have some promising court cases headed up to SCOTUS that may well sort this out in ways that are harder for the legislative and executive branches to tamper with. I'd rather be patient, see how that settles out, then maybe come back around for a legislative solution.

Posts: 964 | Registered: August 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Done

Posts: 1314 | Location: Gainesville, VA | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
I would need to see what such a bill would actually entail. Just saying we want to pass national reciprocity leaves way too much out there that concerns me like others who have expressed such reservations.

Check out HR 38

9/11/01 Never Forget

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I've read the bill and am not finding much fault in it. This section in particular seems to leave much of the authority in regulating where and when one can carry up to the States.

quote:
“(b) This section shall not be construed to supersede or limit the laws of any State that—

“(1) permit private persons or entities to prohibit or restrict the possession of concealed firearms on their property; or

“(2) prohibit or restrict the possession of firearms on any State or local government property, installation, building, base, or park.

“(c) (1) A person who carries or possesses a concealed handgun in accordance with subsections (a) and (b) may not be arrested or otherwise detained for violation of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof related to the possession, transportation, or carrying of firearms unless there is probable cause to believe that the person is doing so in a manner not provided for by this section. Presentation of facially valid documents as specified in subsection (a) is prima facie evidence that the individual has a license or permit as required by this section.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rock Paper
Scissors
Lizard Spock
Picture of James in Denver
posted Hide Post
Done from Colorado!

----------------------------
"Voldemorte himself created his worst enemy, just as tyrants everywhere do! Have you any idea how much tyrants fear the people they oppress? All of them realize that, one day, amongst their many victims, there is sure to be one who rises against them and strikes back!"
Book 6 - Ch 23

Posts: 4484 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Done

Posts: 2753 | Registered: March 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not in the National Reciprocity camp.

Having worked for the Feds, I don't want them any where near my gun rights.

Posts: 7016 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
I don't see anything in the text that inserts the Feds or the BATFE into state carry requirements. I have every confidence that if they don't sneak it here somewhere, they will add it in another bill. That doesn't give me a warm fuzzy.

Additionally, the GDCs in CA will undoubtedly tighten things up a lot. Of course they will do that if and when they finally lose Peruta at the Supreme Court and are forced to go shall issue.

Posts: 6914 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Done

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16184 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Done

Posts: 12657 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
Done.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerBook
posted Hide Post
Done when it was first posted.

Posts: 1777 | Location: Ashburn, VA USA | Registered: June 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
I am not in the National Reciprocity camp.

Having worked for the Feds, I don't want them any where near my gun rights.

They already are. It's a matter of whether or not you want a say in the "how".

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post