SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Plane carrying Dale Earnhardt Jr. and family crashes near Elizabethton, TN airport
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Plane carrying Dale Earnhardt Jr. and family crashes near Elizabethton, TN airport Login/Join 
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted
https://bleacherreport.com/art...crashes-catches-fire Pics and video in the link.

From what I hear, no life-threatening injuries. Smile Considering the shape the plane is in (burnt up), it could have been a lot worse.

This happened about half a mile from my workplace. Red Face I can't tell you any other details because I was inside the building working and busier than V-Tail at an ass-kicking contest. Razz

Posts: 27929 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
Rick Hendrick is probably having a very bad day.

I'm glad no one appears to have been seriously hurt

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that runway goes awful quick!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:

busier than V-Tail at an ass-kicking contest
¿¿¿ Confused ???

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Maybe not enough runway for that Latitude to operate safely. Not enough data yet to know.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10908 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I’m a Junior fan...I’m glad he and his family are ok, as well as the crew....apparently their dog was on board too...hope he/she made it out too

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Heard that it overshot the runway while attempting to land near Bristol Motor Speedway.

Glad everyone is okay.

Posts: 9144 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coloradohunter44:
Maybe not enough runway for that Latitude to operate safely. Not enough data yet to know.
First thing I thought of as well, but a quick Google on the plane and the runway dispells that theory, runway is almost 2X what the plane needs. However, there is a pic of the approach at the airport's site that makes it look postage stamp short, and it is in the mountains so lots of variables can contribute. Citation pilots may want to chime in.

BYW, post-incident videos show the dog running free without apparent injury.

Posts: 6458 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted Hide Post
quote:

Why they would choose to use 0A9 airport instead of the closer TRI airport with 8000ft runway boggles my mind.

Pressure altitude at the time was over 4000ft. But the runway should have been sufficient for landing.

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark_a:

Richard Hendricks had a MUCH worse day in 2004, when a Hendricks motorsports plane crashed and he lost almost all of his family (Son, grandkids etc.).

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
quote:
First thing I thought of as well, but a quick Google on the plane and the runway dispells that theory, runway is almost 2X what the plane needs. However, there is a pic of the approach at the airport's site that makes it look postage stamp short, and it is in the mountains so lots of variables can contribute. Citation pilots may want to chime in.

BYW, post-incident videos show the dog running free without apparent injury.

I fly an XL, but don’t want to second guess my compadres til I here/see more info and data.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10908 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Originally posted by mark_a:

Richard Hendricks had a MUCH worse day in 2004, when a Hendricks motorsports plane crashed and he lost almost all of his family (Son, grandkids etc.).

That is what I was referring to...

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sock Eating Golden:

Pressure altitude at the time was over 4000ft. But the runway should have been sufficient for landing.

Density altitude over 4,000, perhaps?

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Density altitude

?

Elizabethton is ~1500 feet, if that helps in calculating it (whatever it is). The air temperature - which affects its density - might have something to do with it. It was in the high 80s.

Posts: 27929 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
I'm glad all aboard are OK.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24071 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
Density altitude

?

Elizabethton is ~1500 feet, if that helps in calculating it (whatever it is). The air temperature was in the high 80s.

Pressure altitude is indicated altitude when the altimeter is set to 29.92" hg.

Density altitude is pressure altitude corrected for temperature.

OA9 field elevation is 1593'.

An 80 degree temp, with 80 degree dewpoint (100% relative humidity: worse-case), altimeter 29.92, makes density altitude 3763'

A 90 degree temp, 90 degrees dewpoint, standard altimeter 29.92, makes density altitude 4548'

This is to say the airplane on a 90 degree day at that location will perform as though it is landing and taking off at an airport 4,548' above sea level, instead of the actual 1,593' above sea level. Takeoff distance will be longer, approach true airspeed higher, landing distances longer, brake energy higher. More runway is required.

The published runway is listed as 4,529' long, by 70' wide. A Notice to Airmen, published in October 2018, shows runway length as 5,010' long, by 75' wide.

Today Earnhardt is saying that the airplane had a hard landing, followed by a bounce, then departed the runway and went through a chain link fence.

A common visual illusion when approaching a narrow runway is that the aircraft appears higher than it is. Pilots flying turbojet aircraft typically operate off wider runways. An aircraft which appears higher may tempt the pilot to steepen the descent or increase rate of descent, or fly a low or below angle approach.

The flight did make a hard landing according to Earnhardt with a subsequent bounce, which appears to have led to a loss of control with a runway departure. The rest is headline news.

coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Well, no knowledge is ever useless, I like to say.

Smail business jets of that type do fly in and out of there fairly often. I think the runway was lengthened a couple of years ago.

posted Hide Post
https://www.pscp.tv/w/1dRKZmYPydVxB

The NTSB reported this afternoon that the entire event was caught on surveillance video, and clearly shows the airplane bouncing at least twice. The right main landing gear collapsed as a result of the second bounce.

a Cockpit Voice Recorder was installed, and will be reviewed. There was no Flight Data Recorder. Pilot accounts to the NTSB matched what was seen on the video.

Arrival conditions were visual, calm winds. Preliminary report for the event will be available in a week at NTSB.gov.

posted Hide Post
It was said on the news just now that the landing gear collapse severed the hydralic lines, which included the brakes. One expert said no pilot error but what caused the hard landing ?

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Hard to believe they all survived...

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/n...hardt-182852415.html

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post