SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If you had $10,000.00 to invest, what would you do?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you had $10,000.00 to invest, what would you do? Login/Join 
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted
Money markets? Mutual funds? Stocks? I’m looking for a place to park some money (that I don’t need right now) safely and earn more than a savings or checking account. Could be for a year; could be 4-5 years.

Thoughts? I’d like to do this on my own with no or extremely minimal fees.

Edit: no mortgage; no debt obligations. This is not really “fun” money...but close.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bcereuss,

Posts: 2927 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
Hookers, cocaine.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
A year isn't long enough for stocks. 4 to 5 maybe.

I'd diversify it and do some ( very little if only a year ) in a stock index fund and some on a bond mutual fund and some on laddered certificates of Deposit.

Diversificatoon is the only free lunch on investing so best to use it.

Oh, start by paying off all debt you may have.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Send it to me and I will invest it wisely.

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Index mutual fund. Warren Buffet likes this one. VFIAX...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/j...on-bet/#79a0fef42a6c

https://investorplace.com/2019...unds-warren-buffett/

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
Roth IRA?
Tax exempt (Municipal) bonds?

But I am no expert.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1369 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A few months ago I parked a $12,000 emergency fund in an online savings account at Ally. They are paying 2.2%.

Posts: 337 | Location: Bardstown, Ky | Registered: December 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
10k for a year? I’d probably park it in short term T bills with staggered maturities. Pretty much cash with some interest. Longer term I’d think about mutual funds, but darn things are frothy in the US stock market these days. Doesn’t mean they won’t go higher, but there is plenty of potential downside.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Cash in the safe. Or, gold/silver.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
My Wealthfront high yield savings is paying 2.51% currently.

But a Vanguard index fund, like VFIAX would be good if you can risk it. The idea is that if the market tanks, you'd need to leave it in for a few years to recover.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First, as noted in an earlier post pay off your debt, maybe even make extra payments on your mortgage. Second, determine your goals and assess your risk tolerance. Your age is a factor as well. Given that information I will give you my two cents. Ten grand is not what it used to be.

Remember the old saying, that bears make money, bulls make money, but pigs never do.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Sig228, please get it right if you are going to make the recommendation such as that.

"Hookers and blow" for crissakes.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
For that amount of cash best find a good money market account which should pay 2.25 to 2.5 % while being FCIA insured and you can get the cash anytime you want/need. I use Marcus (Goldman Sachs) to park cash which currently pays 2.25%. This fluctuates monthly along with the fed. If you don't mind tying it up for a year or more, a CD can get you a bit more interest but of course you pay for this with less liquidity.

If you want to roll the dice, find a promising IPO. You can make quick profits but be prepared to possibly take a loss and realize if you cash out in less than a year it's considered a short term gain with higher tax implications.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
JAllen would have posted some gosh darn good advice. RIP Jim.

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
In some places a real estate purchase could double or triple in 5 years. Which could be a good return. Buy a lot for $10k and sell it in 3-5 years for $25k.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Citi is advertising a 2.62% money market. My bank, at that level, maybe 0.10% ...

The most well-meaning relative would only pay 5% tops (and you'd have to pay taxes on the $500) to borrow that sum; I'd park it as a liquid rainy-day emergency fund, and tell no one.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
In some places a real estate purchase could double or triple in 5 years. Which could be a good return. Buy a lot for $10k and sell it in 3-5 years for $25k.

Where are you buying land? 1/4 acre here would require $200,000+. $100,000+ if it didn't have utilities.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
My Investors Bank savings account is paying about 2.5% no fees, no minimum, no penalties.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buy a Ruger AC556.

Evaluating volume of fire vs. shot placement effectiveness.

Posts: 659 | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
One of those P226s made and customized in Germany.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post