SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If you had $10,000.00 to invest, what would you do?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you had $10,000.00 to invest, what would you do? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I would time-ladder insured non-callable CDs. You will sleep well.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Well, one thing for sure, there's a mixture of good advice and bad advice here.

Just have to sort out which is which.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10861 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
For that amount of cash best find a good money market account which should pay 2.25 to 2.5 % while being FCIA insured and you can get the cash anytime you want/need. I use Marcus (Goldman Sachs) to park cash which currently pays 2.25%. This fluctuates monthly along with the fed. If you don't mind tying it up for a year or more, a CD can get you a bit more interest but of course you pay for this with less liquidity.

Bingo. Money market fund is the way to go for short-term parking of cash with flexibility.

To me, parking money means you don't want to take risk with it. Stocks, bond funds and real estate all have risk.

T-bills with staggered maturities are too complicated for this amount.

Put it in a money market and call it a day.

Posts: 6061 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
Well, one thing for sure, there's a mixture of good advice and bad advice here.

Just have to sort out which is which.

Hookers and Blow?

Posts: 2927 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
Thank you for all the replies; it is time for me to digest this information. I appreciate the time all of you have taken to respond.

Posts: 2927 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will 2nd picking up some platinum, seems like a great value right now when looking at it historically.

Posts: 814 | Registered: February 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Creeping_Death:
Buy a Ruger AC556.

With Tax Stamps that will put you in the $12,000 range on the low end.

For $10,000 a good investment would be a MAC 10/45 or MAC 11/9.
With availability of Lage uppers and parts these are surely to go up in value.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Sallie Mae $10,000 1-year CD at 2.75% APY. There are others. If you want to go a little longer, you can find 3-year at 3%. I would not go longer than 3 years.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
For that amount of cash best find a good money market account which should pay 2.25 to 2.5 % while being FCIA insured and you can get the cash anytime you want/need. I use Marcus (Goldman Sachs) to park cash which currently pays 2.25%. This fluctuates monthly along with the fed. If you don't mind tying it up for a year or more, a CD can get you a bit more interest but of course you pay for this with less liquidity.

I am going with the CD, because the rate is locked in for the term you choose, where the money market may have declined to 1.0% by October.

These low rates REALLY piss me off.

My first mortgage was at 12.75%. Now that I have money to invest, they pay essentially nothing after inflation and taxes.

I blame this on George W. Bush, the dumber, for lowering the Fed Funds rate to 1% in 2003-2004, and even lower in 2008. Obama continued this trend, robbing a generation of savers of their retirement income for over a decade.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2180 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
As a retired banker, I remember paying 15% or more on CDs. The other side of the coin was commercial and agricultural borrowers paying over 20% for money. It didn’t work very well. As rates softened, investors were pissed and borrowers were happy. I paid 13% to borrow money to build a house. Ouch.

How do you want it?

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4216 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DEC505
posted Hide Post
Primers and powder

Hell has no fury like a liberal
confronted with reality

Posts: 814 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
As a retired banker, I remember paying 15% or more on CDs. The other side of the coin was commercial and agricultural borrowers paying over 20% for money. It didn’t work very well. As rates softened, investors were pissed and borrowers were happy. I paid 13% to borrow money to build a house. Ouch.

How do you want it?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Good point. I remember buying Treasury Zero Coupon Bonds in those days for retirement accounts. Twenty year maturity with 15 percent rate of return. Wish I had bought more.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have always wished that I should have invested $10K when bitcoin first came out and was under $100. I am actually thinking of investing some money next year on FaceBook cryptocurrency. God Bless Smile

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/1...y-barclays-says.html

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3054 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
at my age?
safe deposit box

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post