SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If you had $10,000.00 to invest, what would you do?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you had $10,000.00 to invest, what would you do? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Gold coins, American Eagles, 1/10 ounce. Or any other recognized gold bullion coins like Canadian or Krugerrand. Both of these are more pure than the Eagle and just as recognizable...

Posts: 913 | Location: SE-PA | Registered: August 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
SunTrust Bank is paying 2.5% on Money Market, for accounts with at least $10,000.00.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Ahem.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
I just bought more munis at over 5%. Not the best investment but tax-free and insured. Helps me sleep well at night.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:

Ahem.
Confused

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:

Ahem.
Confused

I’d be the wife, and I have a few ideas... Wink

Wasn’t trying to impinge on your post at all.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Sig228, please get it right if you are going to make the recommendation such as that.

"Hookers and blow" for crissakes.

Or one of my client's reaction to the internal question of what the hell his bookkeeper would have spent $180,000 of stolen funds on; "COKE AND WHORES BABY, COKE AND WHORES!!"

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For that amount and period of time, I would get with these folks:

https://www.viobank.com/high-yield-savings

Posts: 2096 | Location: Bowling Green, KY | Registered: January 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Monster box of American Silver Eagles and 1 American Gold Eagle.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
One of those P226s made and customized in Germany.

I think that is probably a good investment. Should be able to purchase two or three shares of X5 for 10k easily. Call your GunBroker today!

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Hookers and blow.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG228:
Hookers, cocaine.

I'm intrigued...What kind of return can I expect on this?

Posts: 2927 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Hookers and blow.

See above... Big Grin

Posts: 2927 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
With no guarantee it will appreciate. Gold is very high and could go down.

The OP needs to decide if it's one year or 4-5 years, because each of those terms has a different type of investment. 1 year or less is a money market, as several posters have posted. 4-5 yeas suggests stocks. That's enough time for stocks to got through a cycle or two, and still be up at the end. The safest assumption would be an S&P 500 fund. Vanguard is the standard bearer in this.

quote:
Originally posted by Cassandra:
Gold coins, American Eagles, 1/10 ounce. Or any other recognized gold bullion coins like Canadian or Krugerrand. Both of these are more pure than the Eagle and just as recognizable...

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
It kind of depends on your idea of "safely" parking the money. High interest savings accounts are about as safe as you can get and are currently getting about 2.5% most places. That's as good or better than the CDs I've looked at. That's the zero risk option, with a correspondingly low return.

If you can handle a little more risk, open an account with Vanguard and put it in one of their low expense index funds. The VFIAX previously mentioned as a favorite of Warren Buffett has also done very well for my wife and me in our IRAs. This option is better if you'll be able to let the money sit for a while until the time is right to pull it out.

Higher on the risk scale, open an account with a brokerage like E-Trade or TD Ameritrade and diversify it over some large cap stocks for companies with a track record for stability. You could also diversify into bonds and funds if you desire with this approach.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5281 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post

or even better

Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Pay off my last credit card.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
check all of the fine print prior to signing, very carefully

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Only wading into the pool here to advise on purchasing metals, namely quantities.
Once you get to 1 ounce (and up) on single items the premiums are usually much less than smaller weights.

If you want a bolder recommendation, then take a look at platinum right now. Might not increase soon, but it is trading at about its 20 year low, and has a history of being more expensive than gold.

But, you do you.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
Crypto. My son has made thousands merely by buying low and selling high - and in very short periods of time.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10696 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post