SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fixed vs. Plunge Router
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fixed vs. Plunge Router Login/Join 
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
I gave away my plunge router. I just start a regular one and tip it in. It's been years.

I used routers regularly back before there were plunge routers. Arc is right, tipping it in is not hard (rest the back side of the base on the work piece and lower the bit into the work). I never saw the need for a plunge router. Neat idea, but not necessary.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
I gave away my plunge router. I just start a regular one and tip it in. It's been years.

I used routers regularly back before there were plunge routers. Arc is right, tipping it in is not hard (rest the back side of the base on the work piece and lower the bit into the work). I never saw the need for a plunge router. Neat idea, but not necessary.

"Tipping it in" works for some things, but isn't great when you're trying to cut a feature that is the same width as the bit.

You can always just use a smaller bit, but then the setup is more work and making the cut takes longer.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Is it a sign of the times that when I heard "router", my first thought was computer networking device?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Used my router yesterday on some MDF and I don't need a plunge router but I do need a router table.
Luckily the piece I was routing was small and I could just turn the router upside down and use the guide.
Not real safe or stable but it worked....carefully of course.
A table is on my list now.

Posts: 22906 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
A table is on my list now.
Too bad you're not closer to me. I have a really nice phenolic top and fence designed specifically for use in a table top router implementation. Unfortunately (for me), I opted for a different router table solution and only used this top twice across sawhorses as a portable solution at my folks house. I'd let you have it for a song just to free up the space it currently occupies in my shop.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
just to free up the space it currently occupies in my shop

That's why I am going get a fold-up table (hopefully it will be stable enough). Smile

Posts: 22906 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have both and do enjoy the ease of adjusting depth for successive cuts with a plunge router. But as noted you can accomplish the same without a plunge base.

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1527 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post