SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How many ex-Califorians are on the S.F ?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many ex-Califorians are on the S.F ? Login/Join 
Just an ACARS message
with feelings
Picture of qxsoup
posted Hide Post
Born in Chico, raised in Sacramento.
Moved away for college, came back for a while, moved away again, came back again and left again in March... This time for good. CA as it exists now is NOT the state that I grew up in. I doubt I will ever go back for more than a few days to visit family.

220/229/228/226/P6/225/XO/SP2022/239

Posts: 3062 | Location: The Queen City (the one in Ohio) | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
I'm from Walnut Creek (but we moved to ND when I was in high school), my wife is from Livermore. So.....yeah.

Not a CA thing, you are in Lehi, my grandparents moved to what is now Cedar Hills in 1968.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
I was born in South Central Los Angeles in 1956.

Will retire in 2 to 5 years then Exit this shithole.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Failing to prepare is
preparing to fail.
Picture of SigLaw
posted Hide Post
Born in Los Angeles and raised in Orange County. Undergrad and law school in California. Finally left after 51 years. It is not the state I was raised in. I took a hefty pay cut but coming to Arizona is one the smarter things I have done outside of marrying my lovely wife.

Posts: 1359 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: November 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not "from" California, but lived in California for one and a half years and worked in CA about nine years while commuting from Salt Lake. Lived in LaJolla and made a metric shit ton of money on a real estate transaction. Most of my business was north of San Francisco in Lake county and all also spent a bunch of time in the Imperial Valley at El Centro. LaJolla has got to be one of the nicest places in the world to live and I loved northern CA for it's food, wine and scenery. I even liked San Francisco for what it was...a freak show. You could always be entertained there watching the locals.

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9249 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:....Reminds me of a business trip I made to San Fran area many years ago.

We had a couple of days free time, and a resident company employee showed us around. Town houses, run in 3's. 3 stories, 3 bedrooms, 3 baths, vaulted ceilings, and $300K. That was not long after we bought our first house. 3 bedrooms, one bath, maybe 1/8th acre in Montgomery county MD. $24K

A 1600 sq ft, 50 yr old single story fixer upper in Silicon Valley is ~$1.5 Million these days.

4 bedroom, 2,500 sq ft house on 3.5 acres I grew up in Orinda was $30k when my dad bought it in 1967. Last I saw, it sold as a tear down for >$1 million. Sick

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
My dad was a Marine so we moved around.

Born in San Diego

At various times we moved back to San Diego, then to San Mateo, then to 29 Palms where I graduated High School.

After Air Force tech school was stationed at March AFB in Moreno Valley CA. Left in 88 to go overseas and have only been back to visit once in 90.

Posts: 3382 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grew up in Redlands. Moved to San Diego after High School. First job was located at the end
of the runway at NAS Miramar. Mostly lived in the beach communities.
Had a great run there and left for North Idaho in 2005.

Still think it's the greatest state and would consider going back if 25 million or so people would leave.

-------------

The sadder but wiser girl for me.

Posts: 1057 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not originally from there, but lived in south California for five years. Orange County

Much different than I thought it would be.
Would never go back.

Remember first moving to Austin, thinking I'm glad to be back in America again.
Can ride a motorcycle without a helmet, can carry a gun....

Was surprised a beach area could have such a pole shoved up its back side

But I guess if I was carrying the mortgages that they do, I'd be stressed to the max to

Posts: 53 | Registered: October 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
I'm from Walnut Creek (but we moved to ND when I was in high school), my wife is from Livermore. So.....yeah.

Not a CA thing, you are in Lehi, my grandparents moved to what is now Cedar Hills in 1968.

I love Cedar Hills, but then again, the older I get, the more value I place on peace and quiet.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
I was born in Santa Monica in the late '60s. My father was in pharmaceutical sales but made a switch to law enforcement, becoming a Los Angeles County Deputy Sheriff.

My parents, both Southerners, pursued their "California Dream" soon after getting married. They lived a relatively good life there but after a decade or so, elected to move back home to the South.

We were in CA long enough for me to attend kindergarten in the early '70s. I have very vivid memories of living in Alhambra. I doubt I'd recognize it today.

My maternal grandfather lived in various parts of Southern and Central California before his passing. I visited there a few times as a teen and adult, the most recent having been in 1990.

I still have some of my dad's vintage LASD duty gear.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Born and raised in San Diego. Moved to Utah (Syracuse) about 4 years ago. I love living in a free state.

Posts: 2753 | Registered: March 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
Born and raised there. Escaped 12 years ago.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2840 | Location: Marana, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lucky to be Irish
posted Hide Post
Lived in the San Diego area for about five years and I have also lived in Northern California.

Posts: 1770 | Location: Mason, OH | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Us, Laguna Niguel in Orange County 32 years. Now in Nashville for 12 years! I must say I'm torn, I REALLY miss the beach and weather. That's all.....

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just an ACARS message
with feelings
Picture of qxsoup
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OldMick:
Lived in the San Diego area for about five years and I have also lived in Northern California.

Howdy neighbor! I live just S of you.

220/229/228/226/P6/225/XO/SP2022/239

Posts: 3062 | Location: The Queen City (the one in Ohio) | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lived in Covina, worked in Pasadena in 70's. Loved it. Transferred to Atlanta area in 1977. Many trips back to CA, but definitely would not live there now. Place has gone to hell.

NRA Endowment Member
USAF 1958-1970
Master Instructor 1969-1970
Georgia Gun Owners Member

Posts: 237 | Location: Atlanta, GA, USA | Registered: February 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
reseda, thousand oaks, westlake village, santa Barbara and goleta

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
My family moved to Oregon in 1964. I was 9th grade. At that time OR was still a logging community. Quite a culture shock for me. Things have sure changed.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6314 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lucky to be Irish
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by qxsoup:
quote:
Originally posted by OldMick:

Howdy neighbor! I live just S of you.

Hey there, small world! Ever shoot at Point Blank in Blue Ash?

Posts: 1770 | Location: Mason, OH | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post