SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How many ex-Califorians are on the S.F ?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many ex-Califorians are on the S.F ? Login/Join 
Old, Slow,
but Lucky!
Picture of dsmack
posted Hide Post
Born Fresno, 1941 and lived in many locations in N. California growing up. Lived in So Cal for a few years, then back to the Bay Area until 1979 when I finally had enough...

Awoke one morning in 1978 to the realization that our house was the last one on our street way up in the Oakland hills that did NOT have bars on the windows. Decided it was fundamentally wrong for the "Good Guys" to be the ones living behind bars, and moved to Eastern Washington within a year to go into business for myself.

Have never been sorry for our decision!
Don

Posts: 3418 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
lived In Sunnyvale one block from the El Camino for 7 years. Everything happens on the El Camino. Everything.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10909 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Lived in OC for 7 1/2 years cause the Marine Corps told me too. Got out of CA (and the Marines) in 1990 and have had no desire to return.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10930 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
El Monte as a kid for 3 years and 20 plus years as an adult. More than half my life was in CA. I really miss it, but the CA and the people I grow up with and know have all left. The state is not anything like it was nor are the people. Almost all of my friends have moved moved to NV, AZ or ID. I visit every year, my daughter lives in the bay area and my mother is buried in So Cal. While I occasionally think about moving back I will more than likely follow JALLEN to TX.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3692 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I was ordered to a command in Coronado when I was commissioned after college. I lived in San Diego and environs for 45 years.

When I drove into town, Ronald Reagan was governor, junior colleges were free and places of learning, the roads were very good, the weather was even more so, although LA smog was terrible. I dreamed of living in Coronado, and eventually we did.

When I was diagnosed with this lung disease, moving became a viable option. The lung transplant center was in San Antonio. 4 years ago, we made the move, and I am glad we did.

I don't consider myself an ex-Californian, because I never considered myself a Californian. No Native Texan would, or could.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Went to Navy bootcamp in Sandy Eggo, Oct. 1967, then to Memphis, back to S.D. off to wonderful Whidbey island, followed by a deployment to WestPac. My unit was decommissioned and I was sent to then NAS Mirimar in 1969. Got out of the Navy in 1976, moved to Norcal, Bay Area, got married and became rooted by family, my job, wife's job, kids in school etc. Got into the AirForce reserve in 1983, finally retired from all the anchors, hit the border at warp 9 July 29, 2010, only been back to bury a couple of old friends.

Where's the beer!

Posts: 475 | Location: Oro Valley, Arizona | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Raised in Orinda, graduated Miramonte HS there in 1980. Grandparents had a dairy farm, then vineyard near Calistoga (Franz Valley) that I worked on some summers.

Went back to San Diego for midshipman cruises, and back occasionally for conferences in my profession.

Have family in Santa Rosa, Berkeley, and Piedmont area of Oakland.

as they say, CA is like a big bowl of granola - if it is not a fruit or a nut, it is a flake. My family there is a bit nuts, some are a bit (or thoroughly) flaky.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I was in Camp Pendleton for 2 weeks in 1975. Got to TX as fast as I could. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:...as they say, CA is like a big bowl of granola - if it is not a fruit or a nut, it is a flake. My family can there is a bit nuts, some are a bit (or thoroughly) flaky.

Quite accurate description of Silicon Valley.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
Born in Seattle, went to HS in Orange County, North to Berkeley for college and back to OC for ~40 years before escaping to Montana. My physician daughter lives in Newport Beach, so still travel there to see her.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
medlem
posted Hide Post
I lived in the Modesto / Groveland areas for 4 years when I moved to CA for a job. I convinced them that I could do my job from home, and when they agreed, I moved to Wyoming. Four years after moving out, I'm happier than I've ever been in my life. I've lived in MN, ND, AZ, KS, CA, and now WY. I'm not moving again.

Posts: 2242 | Location: Minnesota  | Registered: September 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rinehart:
Not too many years but Ballast Point, San Diego, El Cajon, La Jolla. Lot of visits to Whittier & LA.

Biggest memory... a beautiful state. Second memory- 650k for a "bungalow" house.

Third memory... 35 year old surfer dudes saying "Wow, man, freak me out, what a whaler"...

Reminds me of a business trip I made to San Fran area many years ago.

We had a couple of days free time, and a resident company employee showed us around. Town houses, run in 3's. 3 stories, 3 bedrooms, 3 baths, vaulted ceilings, and $300K. That was not long after we bought our first house. 3 bedrooms, one bath, maybe 1/8th acre in Montgomery county MD. $24K

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Left in 78...

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29684 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
Born in Seaside, grew up in the San Rafael area, left in '79 to Texas. I hate the place but love the view. Currently never going back, until further notice!

Posts: 1983 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:....Reminds me of a business trip I made to San Fran area many years ago.

We had a couple of days free time, and a resident company employee showed us around. Town houses, run in 3's. 3 stories, 3 bedrooms, 3 baths, vaulted ceilings, and $300K. That was not long after we bought our first house. 3 bedrooms, one bath, maybe 1/8th acre in Montgomery county MD. $24K

A 1600 sq ft, 50 yr old single story fixer upper in Silicon Valley is ~$1.5 Million these days.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Left in 78...

We didn't get here until 83.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
I'm from Walnut Creek (but we moved to ND when I was in high school), my wife is from Livermore. So.....yeah.

I live in Livermore now. It's changed a lot just in the 10 years I've been here

Born and raised in San Jose. 5th generation Californian. It's not easy to escape. Maybe if I lost my job. But the golden handcuffs of a well paying job and immediate family thats here is a heavy drag.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lived in LA for eight years, been gone about 12. I usually get back there at least once a year and don't really miss it. It's gotten so much more fucked up since I left, especially the gun laws, you couldn't pay me enough to move back there.

Posts: 2480 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
quote:
I'm from Walnut Creek (but we moved to ND when I was in high school), my wife is from Livermore. So.....yeah.

Born and raised in San Jose. 5th generation Californian. It's not easy to escape. Maybe if I lost my job. But the golden handcuffs of a well paying job and immediate family thats here is a heavy drag.

We left Walnut Creek in 1982. I wish my dad had kept the house - we'd be millionaires now Smile

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4929 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
quote:

We left Walnut Creek in 1982. I wish my dad had kept the house - we'd be millionaires now Smile

A nice SFR in walnut creek is worth well over 1 million today.

We had a little condo in pleasanton we sold to buy the house in Livermore. I was making less than half what I'm making now and my wife was 9 months pregnant with our first child and I didn't want to argue the point. BOfA was not going to make us sell before buying. But I insisted as I didn't think it would cashflow as a rental. Well the market turned around and I was wrong. Oh well.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post