SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How Not to Steer Your Yacht
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How Not to Steer Your Yacht Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Where in the hell is Jimmy123 !

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
She started as a deck Hand but got promoted to first mate!

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HighZonie:
quote:
Did they run aground on No Bikini Atoll?

^^^^ that's a knee slapper right there Big Grin

===============================
so, I'm wondering...... was she the Captain's First Mate or were there previous night time collisions??

Thenkew, thenkew. I'll be here all week. Try the prime rib, and don't forget to tip your waitress!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HighZonie
posted Hide Post
The inebriated 46 year old captain may have had some trouble with fully hoisting his boom.

I'm guessing the deckhand may have needed to blow the klaxon once or twice to get it fully elevated before they could get underway.

Had the Captain not been so distracted while activating his stern thruster, this unfortunate accident could have been avoided.

* Diligentia Vis Celeritis *
"Thus those skilled in war subdue the enemy's army without battle .... They conquer by strategy."
- Sun Tsu - The Art of War

"Fast is Fine, but Accuracy is Everything" - Wyatt Earp

Posts: 2900 | Location: Arizona Highlands - Pine Tree Country | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by midwest guy:

Figured he’d be here by now. But, lotta boats headed south right now so maybe out of touch.

Posts: 1218 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Captaining boats with the wrong crew apparently...… that type of stuff never happens to me.....I would've at least dropped anchor first......before raising the flag!...…She's pretty damn sexy.

A deckhand- is the lowest exterior position. Basically someone who ties and unties the lines and fenders when docking, keeps the exterior clean......Unfortunately, I've never had a deckhand that looked like her!

Boat would have twin screws.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
She's a yachty alright. I believe they left the first "S" of the sleeve of her uniform. Captain had a real gaffe.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
I wonder if he knocked the little man out of the boat?

Posts: 1647 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RB211
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
quote:
Originally posted by SBrooks:
At least 2

Yes, Two screw.

Twin screw, with a bow thruster!

Looks like she took the term "Bow Rider" literally...

Posts: 2039 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
On a crew-recruiting trip to Australia?

Posts: 6455 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now on Bravo's Below Deck...

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
$130K in damage? A feather in the deck hand's cap. Who here can say somebody made a bad enough decision to be with you that it resulted in more damage than that?

Unless that's in Aussie bucks. Then that's like a couple of thou in US dollars.

Posts: 7451 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That was probably Ms. Handley's last best chance to be a coxswain on that particular yacht.

However, with her qualifications and talent she may be able to find similar work elsewhere.

Posts: 3475 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Beautiful Mind
Picture of DetonicsMk6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 18DAI:
She felt the earth move! But it was just the impact with the bouy....
.or running aground. Regards 18DAI

Deckhands may come and go, but the Captain always goes down on the ship!

Posts: 4809 | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
$130K in damage? A feather in the deck hand's cap. Who here can say somebody made a bad enough decision to be with you that it resulted in more damage than that?

Unless that's in Aussie bucks. Then that's like a couple of thou in US dollars.

LOLOLOLOL, that's nothing! This happened in my area last week. I actually manage the yacht with the blue bow, you see in the background after the catamaran gets catapulted from it's dock. Controls malfunctioned and in 2 minutes this yacht did at least $500k in damage to itself and other yachts in 2 minutes flat. Check this video out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0-6bhLrTVo

Picture of HighZonie
posted Hide Post
I'm afraid the court will find that they both just got "a little too nautical".

Another story indicated he was fined $4K, and she was fined $1K.

"Thus those skilled in war subdue the enemy's army without battle .... They conquer by strategy."

Posts: 2900 | Location: Arizona Highlands - Pine Tree Country | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
So, half the guys are going: "What a dumb ass!"

The rest: "How do I get a job on a boat?"

What good would a job on that boat do? She's not gonna be working on it anymore!

Posts: 3659 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
So, half the guys are going: "What a dumb ass!"

The rest: "How do I get a job on a boat?"

What good would a job on that boat do? She's not gonna be working on it anymore!

You'd be surprised how lax the industry is. I'm sure plenty of other people will be standing in line to hire her. A lot of things in the yachting industry are pretty unregulated until you get on larger classed vessels or commercial vessels.

Really, nothing is her fault in this situation. All fault and reliability lies on the Captain. He was drunk and not in command of the vessel. She is unlicensed, if she had a Captains license she would be a first mate.

Picture of HighZonie
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
"I'm sure plenty of other people will be standing in line to hire her. "
=================================
I'm sure you can take that straight to the bank. Wait!, then you'd run aground.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Oh come on.......

Prestige Worldwide.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post