SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Back When Bravery Was The Call Of The Day
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Back When Bravery Was The Call Of The Day Login/Join 
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted
2D Lt. Audie Murphy

The most decorated soldier in WWII and he had over 250 dead Germans. With a Winchester M1 Carbine.

Enlisted as a private, got a field commission as a 2nd LT and killed a shit ton of Germans. And he was shorter than me lol. I enlisted in the USMC but he has always been my hero.

I was at the 3rd ID Museum (Rock Of The Marne) last month in Ft. Stewart, GA. Lots of pics but Lt. Murphy always stuck out to me. A childhood hero. Awesome to see him recognized .

Semper Fi Lt. Murphey

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Indeed!

A great American, among many others.

Been watching a couple of his western movies recently. Enjoyable!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A Real Hero and Thank You.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you read his book, you'll find he used a lot more than just a carbine to kill his enemies.

Posts: 780 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mesabi:
If you read his book, you'll find he used a lot more than just a carbine to kill his enemies.

AIR, he spent some time standing on a burning tank retriever using the pintle mounted MG in stopping that German force. And is that not when he got the wound that prevented him from going to West Point?

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
The most decorated soldier in WWII and he had over 250 dead Germans. With a Winchester M1 Carbine.

And hand grenades. And artillery. And a M2 .50 cal HMG. Wink

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
General Orders No. 65

WAR DEPARTMENT

Washington 25, D.C., 9 August 1945

MEDAL OF HONOR - Award

I. MEDAL OF HONOR. - By direction of the President, under the provisions of the act of Congress approved 9 July 1918 (WD Bul. 43, 1918), a Medal of Honor for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of life above and beyond the call of duty was awarded by the War Department in the name of Congress to the following-named officer:

Second Lieutenant Audie L. Murphy, 01692509, 15th Infantry, Army of the United States, on 26 January 1945, near Holtzwihr, France, commanded Company B, which was attacked by six tanks and waves of infantry. Lieutenant Murphy ordered his men to withdraw to a prepared position in a woods while he remained forward at his command post and continued to give fire directions to the artillery by telephone. Behind him to his right one of our tank destroyers received a direct hit and began to burn. It's crew withdrew to the woods. Lieutenant Murphy continued to direct artillery fire which killed large numbers of the advancing enemy infantry. With the enemy tanks abreast of his position, Lieutenant Murphy climbed on the burning tank destroyer which was in danger of blowing up any instant and employed its .50 caliber machine gun against the enemy. He was alone and exposed to the German fire from three sides, but his deadly fire killed dozens of Germans and caused their infantry attack to waver. the enemy tanks, losing infantry support, began to fall back. For an hour the Germans tried every available weapon to eliminated Lieutenant Murphy, but he continued to hold his position and wiped out a squad which was trying to creep up unnoticed on his right flank. Germans reached as close as 10 yards only to be mowed down by his fire. He received a leg wound but ignored it and continued the single-handed fight until his ammunition was exhausted. He then made his way to his company, refused medical attention, and organized the company in a counterattack which forced the Germans to withdraw. His directing of artillery fire wiped out many of the enemy; he personally killed or wounded about 50. Lieutenant Murphy's indomitable courage and his refusal to give an inch of ground saved his company from possible encirclement and destruction and enabled it to hold the woods which had been the enemy's objective.

BY ORDER OF THE SECRETARY OF WAR:
OFFICIAL:

EDWARD F. WITSELL
Major General
Acting the Adjutant General

G.C. MARSHALL
Chief of Staff

The war took its toll on Murphy. He suffered from what we now refer to as post-traumatic stress disorder. Audie Murphy routinely scared the shit out of people around him during his movie career. People genuinely feared him.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mesabi:

I have read both books, and have a first edition of the first. "To Hell And Back", and "No Name On The Bullet". The second one was very sad. It was about his post war struggles with what he did, his fame, and how he tried to fit back into society. At a movie theater after the war he broke out crying when the news reels showed German children in bombed out Berlin. He turned to his future wife and said "I killed their fathers".

A hero, and a human being.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
... always liked his characters in the westerns.

Until I saw To Hell and Back, I didn't know of his WWII actions.

Had to know more.

Thanks for sharing, a timely reminder of days past and what lies before us.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RaiseHal
posted Hide Post
A true American hero

It's a shame that youth is wasted on the young --- Mark Twain

Anyone who is not a liberal by age 20 has no heart; anyone who is not a conservative by age 40 has no brain---Winston Churchill

Posts: 4650 | Location: The Free State of Georgia | Registered: August 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
When I was in the 3rd Infantry Division (Rock of the Marne), once a year we all marched to the theater on Harvey Barracks in Kitzingen West Germany and we all watched "To Hell and Back". We were co-located with the 1st Battalion 15th Infantry. I was in the 1st Battalion 64th Armor.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I can say that my late wife and I stood at his headstone in October 2001 and we both felt humbled.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
And did all that at the ripe old age of 19.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1856 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
The simple mention of that Hero's name always brings a lump in my throat and a deep swell of pride.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SAC trained killer
Picture of Ricardokid11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
I can say that my late wife and I stood at his headstone in October 2001 and we both felt humbled.

I did the same at Arlington last year. May he RIP. What a hero.

" May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am".

Posts: 2083 | Location: Glen Allen, VA. | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post