SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bowe Bergdahl expected to plead guilty
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bowe Bergdahl expected to plead guilty Login/Join 
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
HE WAS NOT A "CAPTIVE"! HE WAS/IS A FUCKING DESERTER!

And as such, should consider himself lucky he doesn’t get what he truly deserves. Which isn’t a cash award.

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Why don't we just let the Taliban have him back? They reaped a bunch of propaganda from us "recovering" him, and they still are causing us pain for as long as we squabble over slapping his wrist.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
Why don't we just let the Taliban have him back? They reaped a bunch of propaganda from us "recovering" him, and they still are causing us pain for as long as we squabble over slapping his wrist.

Air dropped from 10,000 feet or so, sans parachute, right into one of their camps?

Posts: 6914 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
According to Susan Rice, he served with "honor and distinction."

Susan Rice stands by 'honor and distinction' remark on Bergdahl

BY REBECCA SHABAD - 06/06/14 10:54 AM EDT

White House national security adviser Susan Rice on Friday defended her remark about how Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl had served in the military with "honor and distinction."

The comment has come under fire amid conflicting reports about whether Bergdahl deserted the Army in Afghanistan before being captured by the Taliban and held as a prisoner for five years.

Speaking to CNN’s Jim Acosta from the 70th anniversary event to mark D-Day in Normandy, France, Rice said her remark about Bergdahl was describing his decision to enter the military in war time.

“I realize there has been a lot of discussion and controversy around this,” Rice said to CNN about that remark. “What I was referring to is the fact that this was a young man who volunteered to serve his country in uniform at a time of war. That in itself is a very honorable thing.”

“But ‘honor and distinction?’ ” Acosta asked.

“Jim, really,” Rice said. “This is a young man whose circumstances we are still going to learn about.”

Rice said Bergdahl is being tried in “the court of public opinion” and said people should withhold judgment until the facts are known...

Complete article:

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog...rt-of-public-opinion

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:

Susan Rice stands by 'honor and distinction' remark on Bergdahl

BY REBECCA SHABAD - 06/06/14 10:54 AM EDT

White House national security adviser Susan Rice on Friday defended her remark about how Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl had served in the military with "honor and distinction."

The comment has come under fire amid conflicting reports about whether Bergdahl deserted the Army in Afghanistan before being captured by the Taliban and held as a prisoner for five years.

Speaking to CNN’s Jim Acosta from the 70th anniversary event to mark D-Day in Normandy, France, Rice said her remark about Bergdahl was describing his decision to enter the military in war time.

“I realize there has been a lot of discussion and controversy around this,” Rice said to CNN about that remark. “What I was referring to is the fact that this was a young man who volunteered to serve his country in uniform at a time of war. That in itself is a very honorable thing.”

“But ‘honor and distinction?’ ” Acosta asked.

“Jim, really,” Rice said. “This is a young man whose circumstances we are still going to learn about.”

Rice said Bergdahl is being tried in “the court of public opinion” and said people should withhold judgment until the facts are known...

Complete article:

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog...rt-of-public-opinion

I actually agree with her. I think everyone knows he was a total shitbird, but the principle of innocent until proven guilty is a very important part of our Justice system and one of the great things about the US that separates us from the rest of the world. It's imperative that the administration respect that principle. I'll wait to see what she says after the verdict is in before I judge her for it.

Even now the JAG core is getting ripped for undue command influence that probably destroyed the lives of many innocent people. The system isn't perfect as is, but it fails completely if administrators outside of the process wade into things with a damning opinion before the process is complete. Just 4 years ago the administration would have jailed this entire forum for our shared hobby if they were allowed to run unchecked and their (wrong in this case) opinion became the standard for judgement.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
“Honor and distinction” isn’t withholding judgment. On the contrary, it is a very strong judgmental statement.

The “honor” part might have been justified on the basis that the man enlisted in the Army which is a very unusual act these days, but “distinction”? Hardly, unless one can distinguish oneself by wandering off to get captured by the enemy—either deliberately or through gross violation of standing orders. In any event, once questions had been raised about the circumstances of his disappearance from his unit, then withholding judgment would have consisted of a statement to that effect: “We don’t know the circumstances of his being captured, and therefore we are withholding judgment about the matter until after a proper investigation.” Period, end of story.

I don’t actually blame Rice either, though. She was simply the mouthpiece for the Administration whose position on the matter she was merely parroting and was truly to blame for that travesty of opinion.

And FWIW, the verdict is in. He was found guilty and sentenced for his military crimes.
Plus, we are not “innocent” in the sense of “didn’t do it” until proved guilty, we are not guilty until proved guilty. “Not guilty” is a legal term that can be far different from innocent of the act charged.

Evidently the case is being reviewed and it’s still possible the verdict could be overturned on the basis that the President’s statements about the case constituted improper command influence. If that happens, it could make the deserter “not guilty,” but it would never make him “innocent.”

And finally, lest we forget, the “honor and distinction” statement and how the deserter’s parents were feted at the White House after his ransoming were every bit as much improper command influence over the case than anything our current President said.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Susan Rice wouldn't know Honor & Distinction if it slapped her in the face!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:

NO, he did not! While his enlistment during a period of conflict 'may' be been considered honorable, his 'service' was NOT!!! And YES, I'm making that distinction! Mad

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8865 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Susan Rice wouldn't know Honor & Distinction if it slapped her in the face!

Bingo

Posts: 1781 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
quote:

NO, he did not! While his enlistment during a period of conflict 'may' be been considered honorable, his 'service' was NOT!!!

Excellent point.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
- UPDATE -

Bowe Bergdahl's court-martial conviction voided by U.S. judge

It’s too early in the morning for me to be this pissed off; so I’m going to save my anger for November when he runs for (and wins) some type of office.

WASHINGTON, July 25 (Reuters) - A U.S. federal judge on Tuesday voided a 2017 court-martial conviction against Bowe Bergdahl, an Army sergeant who walked off his post in 2009 only to be captured by the Taliban and spend five years as their prisoner.

Bergdahl's conviction in 2017 left him with a dishonorable discharge, reduction in rank to the lowest enlisted pay grade and an effective fine of $10,000. Tuesday's ruling, which is subject to appeal, vacates that court-martial conviction.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
“Subject to appeal.”

I hope the military does appeal this including getting the judge’s right to even hear the case overturned. However, knowing the administration’s remarkable tendency to choose the wrong path on just about every issue before it, I wouldn’t be surprised to see them quash the appeal and let this bad decision (and bad precedent?) stand.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2102 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StarTraveler:
“Subject to appeal.”

I hope the military does appeal this including getting the judge’s right to even hear the case overturned. However, knowing the administration’s remarkable tendency to choose the wrong path on just about every issue before it, I wouldn’t be surprised to see them quash the appeal and let this bad decision (and bad precedent?) stand.

I saw that this morning. I expect you're right about the administration/military blowing this off. He gets to go free on a technicality, and the fact that he's actually guilty of desertion doesn't even enter into the decision.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of uvahawk
posted Hide Post
We should not forget that people were killed and wounded searching for Bergdahl. They are the ones who served with "honor and distinction." I do not recall that their sacrifice was recognized by the Administration at the time.

Posts: 161 | Location: Low Country, South Carolina | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of scot818
posted Hide Post
Well shit. I came here hoping to see Bergdahl had been in some sort of accident with a woodchipper. And now this. I will be surprised if this bunch in the White House does the right thing and appeal. He’s the kind of malfunctioning shithead they love.

Posts: 1442 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I can't say what I (and probably everyone else) is thinking...

Absolute piece of fecal matter. Mad

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
This is justice denied retroactively. I’ve noticed a trend that way for Leftists caught dead to rights. Later after we think justice is done, they’re let out through the back door

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29682 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If we would have hung that son-of-a-bitch from a tree, or blindfolded up against a wall in the beginning, we wouldn't be having this problem today.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8333 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scot818:
Well shit. I came here hoping to see Bergdahl had been in some sort of accident with a woodchipper. And now this. I will be surprised if this bunch in the White House does the right thing and appeal. He’s the kind of malfunctioning shithead they love.

This "bunch in the White House" is effectively the Obama third term, you know they people this all happened under. Mad

Posts: 33757 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
So what exactly was the reason for this?
I couldn't tell from the article.

Posts: 22894 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post