SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bowe Bergdahl expected to plead guilty
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bowe Bergdahl expected to plead guilty Login/Join 
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Here's Ben Shapiro's take on the Bergdahl travesty. If you (like me) had forgotten some of the details, it's worth the ~5 minutes it takes to watch (the last half isn't about Bergdahl). Take your hypertension meds first.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/uFfPbNaND6s

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
In the end I didn't expect any real jail time, but hoped for a lengthy (but suspended) sentence; however I don't recall if that's even possible under the UCMJ (been A LONG time since legal officer school).

But I'm glad he's out pay and veterans benefits. Plus he can't legally own or possess a firearm.

And he'll always be a cowardly bitch - that stink will never leave him.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
This awesome Mad

quote:
The U.S. Army is set to decide whether Pvt. Bowe Bergdahl is entitled to as much as $300,000 in back pay and other benefits he amassed during his captivity with the Taliban.

Bergdahl, 31, was captured by the Taliban in 2009 after he walked off base while in Afghanistan. He was given a dishonorable discharge and he was demoted from sergeant to private in a court decision earlier this month but spared prison. President Trump called the ruling a “complete and total disgrace.”

Captive soldiers normally receive special compensation worth around $150,000 in addition to hostile-fire pay and their basic pay they accumulated during the captivity. But determining whether Bergdahl should receive the back pay is not as clear-cut.

The State Department marked Bergdahl in as “Missing-Captured” several days after he was captured and the terror group released a video featuring him alive, Military.com reported in 2014.
FILE - In this Jan. 12, 2016, file photo, Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl arrives for a pretrial hearing at Fort Bragg, N.C. Prosecutors argue that serious injuries to two soldiers who searched for Bergdahl in 2009 show that he endangered his comrades by leaving his post in Afghanistan. Lawyers for Bergdahl are seeking to limit the severity of punishments he could face through new arguments attacking the structure of the case against him. (AP Photo/Ted Richardson, File)

But Bergdahl pleaded guilty to desertion in court, complicating whether the army will consider him as a prisoner of war and thus entitled to back pay and compensation.

“My understanding is there has to be an administrative determination of his duty status at each point, from the time he was captured until now,” an army official told the Army Times. “In order to figure out what he’s owed, you’re basically going to have to start from that point of captivity.”

The official told the Times that it is possible Bergdahl will be given only his accumulated basic pay during his five-year captivity.

Bergdahl, however, might not be eligible for the basic back pay and could even owe money to the military. The Army could determine that he should not be paid for the time in captivity or that he was overpaid since his return to the U.S, according to the official who spoke with the Times.

“Based upon the results of trial, the Army is reviewing Sgt. Bergdahl’s pay and allowances,” Lt. Col. Randy Taylor told the Times. “His final pay and allowances will be determined in accordance with DoD policy and Army regulation.”

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017...o-300g-back-pay.html

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.armytimes.com/news...ence-no-prison-time/

US Army commander approves Bowe Bergdahl sentence, no prison time

By: Lolita C. Baldor, The Associated Press   2 hours ago

WASHINGTON — A senior U.S. military commander is endorsing the decision to spare Army Pvt. Bowe Bergdahl prison time for abandoning his post in Afghanistan, endangering military comrades who participated in the lengthy search for him.

Army Gen. Robert Abrams, head of U.S. Army Forces Command, approved the court-martial sentencing handed down last November. Bergdahl was reduced in rank from sergeant to private and ordered to forfeit $1,000 a month in pay for 10 months. The judge also gave him a dishonorable discharge.

The fine and rank reduction were effective two weeks after the judge’s sentence was delivered. The case is now referred to the Army Court of Criminal Appeals at Fort Belvoir, Virginia, which automatically reviews any punitive discharges.

Bergdahl was captured by the Taliban and held for five years.

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
As long as they take his money / back pay and give him zero benefits due to the Duck Dinner (ie Dishonorable Discharge), it's still something.

He's a felon, can't own a firearm and will be 'that guy' for the rest of his life.

Sure I would have liked to seen prison time, but it wasn't in the cards apparently.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
https://www.armytimes.com/news...ence-no-prison-time/

US Army commander approves Bowe Bergdahl sentence, no prison time

By: Lolita C. Baldor, The Associated Press   2 hours ago

WASHINGTON — A senior U.S. military commander is endorsing the decision to spare Army Pvt. Bowe Bergdahl prison time for abandoning his post in Afghanistan, endangering military comrades who participated in the lengthy search for him.

Army Gen. Robert Abrams, head of U.S. Army Forces Command, approved the court-martial sentencing handed down last November. Bergdahl was reduced in rank from sergeant to private and ordered to forfeit $1,000 a month in pay for 10 months. The judge also gave him a dishonorable discharge.

The fine and rank reduction were effective two weeks after the judge’s sentence was delivered. The case is now referred to the Army Court of Criminal Appeals at Fort Belvoir, Virginia, which automatically reviews any punitive discharges.

Bergdahl was captured by the Taliban and held for five years.
This is an absolute travesty.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
From the Army Times.

The Bowe Bergdahl case was briefly back in court this summer, as attorneys for the former soldier argued that President Donald Trump’s comments about a conviction and prison time amounted to undue command influence and interfered with his right to a fair trial.

The Army Court of Criminal Appeals convened a three-judge panel to hear the case, and in a 2-1 ruling affirmed Bergdahl’s guilty plea and previous sentence — a reduction in rank to private, a $10,000 fine and a dishonorable discharge.

“Although there was some evidence of unlawful command influence adduced at trial and in the post-trial process, the government met its burden to demonstrate that an objective disinterested observer would not harbor a significant doubt as to the fairness of the proceedings,” the Army appeals court opinion reads.

In a dissenting opinion, Army Judge James Ewing wrote that undue command influence did play a part in sentencing, adding that he would have set aside the dishonorable discharge. That conclusion was largely based on the president’s past statements and a day-of-sentencing statement that labeled Bergdahl “a complete and total disgrace."

Ewing noted that there is “no perfect resolution” in Bergdahl’s case, as Trump’s influence cannot be circumnavigated by moving the case to a different convening authority, because the president is the highest in the chain of command.

The best guidance on resolution was from earlier phases in Bergdahl’s investigation and trial, Ewing wrote.

“Specifically, the Article 32 preliminary hearing officer’s recommendation that appellant’s case be referred to a ‘straight special’ court-martial not empowered to adjudge a discharge, and that jail time would be inappropriate, was rendered in October of 2015,” Ewing’s dissent reads. “The AR 15-6 investigating officer, [Maj. Gen. Kenneth Dahl], likewise recommended no jail time for appellant during the same time period.”

“Setting aside appellant’s dishonorable discharge would bring his current sentence into line with these two recommendations, and thus purge the taint of post-trial UCI that emanated from the President’s day-of-sentencing tweet," Ewing added.

The dissenting opinion will likely help Bergdahl’s legal team as they move the case further along the appeals process.
“We plan to take this to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces as soon as possible,” Eugene Fidell, a Yale Law School lecturer and former Coast Guard judge advocate who represented Bergdahl, told Army Times on Wednesday.

Bergdahl was out of U.S. control for five years and was believed to have been held by the Haqqani network. (Voice Of Jihad Website via AP)
Bergdahl, then a sergeant, pleaded guilty in 2017 to desertion and misbehavior before the enemy after leaving his post in 2009 while deployed to Afghanistan’s Paktika province, with 4th Brigade Combat Team, 25th Infantry Division.
He was quickly captured by insurgents and held hostage until 2014, when the Obama administration negotiated his return in exchange for five Guantanamo Bay detainees.

Over the course of Bergdahl’s repatriation and subsequent trial, the president periodically weighed-in on the situation.
“In the old days when we were strong and wise, we [would] shoot a guy like that,” Trump said in 2015, during his campaign for president.

After taking office, Trump’s commentary on Bergdahl’s case decreased. But during an October 2017 press conference in the White House Rose Garden, the president remained committed to his past assessment of the situation.
“I think people have heard my comments in the past," he said at the time.

During his trial, Bergdahl’s legal team argued that Trump’s comments tainted the process. The judge, Army Col. Jeffrey Nance, declared them mitigating evidence, which can reduce punishment in sentencing.

During his five years in captivity, the Taliban subjected Bergdahl to torture that included long periods in darkness, beatings with a copper cable, being chained, held in a cage and threatened with execution after trying to escape roughly a dozen times.

“In the beginning of my captivity, after my first two escape attempts, for about three months I was chained to a bed spread-eagle and blindfolded,” Bergdahl wrote in a note made public by his lawyer during the trial process.
“Around my ankles where the chains were, I developed open wounds. ... During these months some of the things they did was beat the bottoms of my feet and parts of my body with a copper cable.”

Bergdahl has kept a low profile since returning from captivity, only rarely offering explanations for his decision to leave his post.
In 2016, documents released by Bergdahl’s attorneys explained that he left his post to draw attention to what he saw as bad decisions by officers above him. Those documents also showed that he was diagnosed with a psychiatric disorder.

Bergdahl told the general who investigated his case — Maj. Gen. Kenneth Dahl — that he hoped to leave his base and make it to a larger base in order to impress a high-ranking officer.
“So, the idea was to — it was— literally, it was a sacrificial — it was a self-sacrifice thing,” Bergdahl said, according to the transcript of a 2014 interview during the investigation.

A 2015 document also shows that an Army Sanity Board evaluation determined that Bergdahl suffered from schizotypal personality disorder when he abandoned his post.

Link:
https://www.armytimes.com/news...ily%20News%20Roundup

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Too bad he wasn't sent before a firing squad.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Any influence Trump had was to undo all the influence Obummer and his cronies had.

To Hell this asshole. I will never think of him or speak his name again.

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
So Trump saying this traitor was, well, a traitor, is very very bad, but the US Gov railroading a decorated SEAL for murder is no biggie...

Looks like the "Just-Us" system extends to the UCMJ now too.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
“Former soldier who was wounded in 2009 search for Bowe Bergdahl in Afghanistan has died.”

LOGANVILLE, Ga. — A retired soldier who was shot in the head while searching for Army Pvt. Bowe Bergdahl has died.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports 46-year-old Master Sgt. Mark Allen of Loganville, Georgia, died Saturday. His obituary says he died from complications of an injury sustained while serving in Afghanistan.

Allen was shot during an insurgent ambush in 2009. He was left unable to speak and paralyzed over much of his body. His official cause of death hasn't been released.

Allen spent 21 years in the Army and the Army National Guard. He retired upon receiving a Purple Heart in 2013.

Bergdahl was captured by the Taliban and held for five years. He was spared prison time for abandoning his post and endangering military comrades who participated in the lengthy search for him.

Link.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
Rip those Bogus stripes off this scumbag and make him repay the "Back Pay" he received at sergeant grade!

I've often wondered how he legitimately was made E-5. I understand the time in service and time in grade thing, but there is more to making E-5 in the Army than just those. Available slots, passing PLDC, etc....

That fucking traitor did NOT legitimately make E5! It happened thru obummer and his silly shit. The asshole DESERTED his post! Should have been shot!

But then, as I recall, the last traitor/deserter to be shot was during WW2.

We had a couple go AWOL, then desert while I was stationed in Germany. Both ended up in Leavenworth for something like 20 years.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:
Luke 6:36 Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.

Yes, he deserves punishment. Be merciful in your punishment.

I will be merciful when the ones injured/killed? searching for the asshole are restored to full health!

I had 7 really good friends and fellow NCOs transferred to Viet Nam on 24 hour notice to depart. 5 of them did not come home. There were 8 of us in the unit and I was the only 1 not called. For our MOS it was practically a death sentence to go there.

I have no patience, whatsoever, for assholes like Bergdahl.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
I'd be willing to bet he ends up with a general discharge and full benefits.

Will he get a free lunch at some restaurants on Veterans Day?
Oh he might get something on Veteran's Day if I made the mistake to dine with real veterans, but I don't think I'd call it lunch.

What an absolute travesty of justice. Apparently military judges are every bit as corrupt and contemptable as civilian judges are.

How many of them were appointed by obummer?

Elk

-Thomas Jefferson

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Army Gen. Robert Abrams, head of U.S. Army Forces Command, approved the court-martial sentencing handed down last November.

Since General Abrams is still active duty, I think President Trump should order him to dig the grave of this dead soldier with a spoon.

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Another of Obamas sons. A lowlife bastard!

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tgtshuter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
“Former soldier who was wounded in 2009 search for Bowe Bergdahl in Afghanistan has died.”

LOGANVILLE, Ga. — A retired soldier who was shot in the head while searching for Army Pvt. Bowe Bergdahl has died.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports 46-year-old Master Sgt. Mark Allen of Loganville, Georgia, died Saturday. His obituary says he died from complications of an injury sustained while serving in Afghanistan.

Allen was shot during an insurgent ambush in 2009. He was left unable to speak and paralyzed over much of his body. His official cause of death hasn't been released.

Allen spent 21 years in the Army and the Army National Guard. He retired upon receiving a Purple Heart in 2013.

Bergdahl was captured by the Taliban and held for five years. He was spared prison time for abandoning his post and endangering military comrades who participated in the lengthy search for him.

Link.

That's just sad...

RIP MSG Allen

I hope somehow that Bergdahl fuck feels at least some -if not all- of the pain and suffering he's caused, hanging like a heavy weight on his soul.

Posts: 711 | Location: SC, USA | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tgtshuter:
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:

Link.

That's just sad...

RIP MSG Allen

I hope somehow that Bergdahl fuck feels at least some -if not all- of the pain and suffering he's caused, hanging like a heavy weight on his soul.

He betrayed his oath and this country, he has no soul and won't feel a thing, at least until he faces a higher power for judgement. He's a coward and a traitor, exactly what Obama revered.

RIP MSGT Allen

Posts: 2765 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:
This awesome Mad

quote:
The U.S. Army is set to decide whether Pvt. Bowe Bergdahl is entitled to as much as $300,000 in back pay and other benefits he amassed during his captivity with the Taliban.

Bergdahl, 31, was captured by the Taliban in 2009 after he walked off base while in Afghanistan. He was given a dishonorable discharge and he was demoted from sergeant to private in a court decision earlier this month but spared prison. President Trump called the ruling a “complete and total disgrace.”

Captive soldiers normally receive special compensation worth around $150,000 in addition to hostile-fire pay and their basic pay they accumulated during the captivity. But determining whether Bergdahl should receive the back pay is not as clear-cut.

The State Department marked Bergdahl in as “Missing-Captured” several days after he was captured and the terror group released a video featuring him alive, Military.com reported in 2014.
FILE - In this Jan. 12, 2016, file photo, Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl arrives for a pretrial hearing at Fort Bragg, N.C. Prosecutors argue that serious injuries to two soldiers who searched for Bergdahl in 2009 show that he endangered his comrades by leaving his post in Afghanistan. Lawyers for Bergdahl are seeking to limit the severity of punishments he could face through new arguments attacking the structure of the case against him. (AP Photo/Ted Richardson, File)

But Bergdahl pleaded guilty to desertion in court, complicating whether the army will consider him as a prisoner of war and thus entitled to back pay and compensation.

“My understanding is there has to be an administrative determination of his duty status at each point, from the time he was captured until now,” an army official told the Army Times. “In order to figure out what he’s owed, you’re basically going to have to start from that point of captivity.”

The official told the Times that it is possible Bergdahl will be given only his accumulated basic pay during his five-year captivity.

Bergdahl, however, might not be eligible for the basic back pay and could even owe money to the military. The Army could determine that he should not be paid for the time in captivity or that he was overpaid since his return to the U.S, according to the official who spoke with the Times.

“Based upon the results of trial, the Army is reviewing Sgt. Bergdahl’s pay and allowances,” Lt. Col. Randy Taylor told the Times. “His final pay and allowances will be determined in accordance with DoD policy and Army regulation.”

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017...o-300g-back-pay.html

HE WAS NOT A "CAPTIVE"! HE WAS/IS A FUCKING DESERTER!

Elk

-Thomas Jefferson

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter