SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bowe Bergdahl expected to plead guilty
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bowe Bergdahl expected to plead guilty Login/Join 
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
His corpse should not be buried in US soil.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34108 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Lest we forget (the media won't be showing this, it's been flushed down the memory hole):

https://www.washingtonpost.com...m_term=.34005ebd839e

The following is the text of a statement by President Obama on the release of Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl:

Today the American people are pleased that we will be able to welcome home Sergeant Bowe Bergdahl, held captive for nearly five years. On behalf of the American people, I was honored to call his parents to express our joy that they can expect his safe return, mindful of their courage and sacrifice throughout this ordeal. Today we also remember the many troops held captive and whom remain missing or unaccounted for in America’s past wars. Sergeant Bergdahl’s recovery is a reminder of America’s unwavering commitment to leave no man or woman in uniform behind on the battlefield. And as we find relief in Bowe’s recovery, our thoughts and prayers are with those other Americans whose release we continue to pursue.

For his assistance in helping to secure our soldier’s return, I extend my deepest appreciation to the Amir of Qatar. The Amir’s personal commitment to this effort is a testament to the partnership between our two countries. The United States is also grateful for the support of the Government of Afghanistan throughout our efforts to secure Sergeant Bergdahl’s release.

This week the United States renewed its commitment to the Afghan people and made clear that we will continue to support them as their chart their own future. The United States also remains committed to supporting an Afghan-led reconciliation process as the surest way to achieve a stable, secure, sovereign, and unified Afghanistan. While we are mindful of the challenges, it is our hope Sergeant Bergdahl’s recovery could potentially open the door for broader discussions among Afghans about the future of their country by building confidence that it is possible for all sides to find common ground.

Susan Rice says Bergdahl served with 'Honor and Distinction'

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Bergdahl is a traitor.

He left his post during combat.

He should be stood in front of a wall and shot.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:
Luke 6:36 Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.

Yes, he deserves punishment. Be merciful in your punishment.

Respectfully, I call foul. You're taking that verse out of context and making the same conflation that folks use to claim that Jesus is a Communist.

In terms of Christian mandate, there's a significant difference between the actions of an individual and the actions of a State. Luke 6:26-36 is Christ speaking to his disciples as to their individual behavior centered on forgiveness. It's the passage that starts with the bit about turning the other cheek.

I would counter that the applicable verse(s) are found in Romans 13:1-5,

Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended. For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also as a matter of conscience.

-Rob

Well said Rob (and Paul). An individual, with free will, showing mercy towards another? Commendable. State officials allowing lawbreakers free without consequence or restitution to victims? Negligent at best.

Posts: 2399 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Bet you this guy is no fan!
https://ixquick-proxy.com/do/s...ac7784a576bba4b6cd28

Wife of Soldier Paralyzed While Looking For Bowe Bergdahl Asks

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8343 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arabiancowboy:
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
quote:

Respectfully, I call foul. You're taking that verse out of context and making the same conflation that folks use to claim that Jesus is a Communist.

In terms of Christian mandate, there's a significant difference between the actions of an individual and the actions of a State. Luke 6:26-36 is Christ speaking to his disciples as to their individual behavior centered on forgiveness. It's the passage that starts with the bit about turning the other cheek.

I would counter that the applicable verse(s) are found in Romans 13:1-5,

Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended. For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also as a matter of conscience.

-Rob

Well said Rob (and Paul). An individual, with free will, showing mercy towards another? Commendable. State officials allowing lawbreakers free without consequence or restitution to victims? Negligent at best.

Likewise, Rob has highlighted verse I cannot counter. My reference from Luke is not void of punishment for Bergdahl, simply to temper the sheer anger written. As Romans also stated (in Rob's quote: also as a matter of conscience.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
Rip those Bogus stripes off this scumbag and make him repay the "Back Pay" he received at sergeant grade!

I've often wondered how he legitimately was made E-5. I understand the time in service and time in grade thing, but there is more to making E-5 in the Army than just those. Available slots, passing PLDC, etc....

We promote our POWs while in captivity, it is the right thing to do. He'll lose his rank after his due process which sounds like is about to happen. He may have to pay it back, I'm not sure about those details.

At any rate, Obama had nothing to do with his promotion while in captivity and it would not have been appropriate for the Army to treat him differently than any other POW without the due process to confirm he was a deserter.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
One advantage of a guilty plea is that it’s harder for his supporters to continue to claim he did nothing wrong—not impossible, of course, but harder. It also reduces the likelihood of interminable appeals.

False. They will just say he was being railroaded and took the plea to avoid a worse sentence.

Several honorable Soldiers lost their lives trying to "rescue" him.

Bergdahl should be tried for desertion in time of war, publicly stripped of rank and honors then shot.

quote:
We promote our POWs while in captivity

This. POWs are promoted based on TIS and TIG without other considerations, as are MIAs.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanksoldier:
Bergdahl should be tried for desertion in time of war, publicly stripped of rank and honors then shot.
Yes, taking all of it into account- his desertion, the men who died or were wounded looking for him, what you've suggested would be as close to justice as we may come.

It makes me very angry when I think of all that sacrifice for this un-American fool and how Obama stood in front of cameras with the guy's parents, and Susan Rice saying that the guy served with honor and distinction - my God, it's all just so wrong, and it makes me very angry to think of it.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107505 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Yes he should be executed, and the UCMJ does allow it for misbehavior in front of the enemy.

U.S. Code › Title 10 › Subtitle A › Part II › Chapter 47 › Subchapter X › § 899
10 U.S. Code § 899 - Art. 99. Misbehavior before the enemy
US Code
Notes
Authorities (CFR)
prev | next
Any member of the armed forces who before or in the presence of the enemy—
(1)runs away;
(2)shamefully abandons, surrenders, or delivers up any command, unit, place, or military property which it is his duty to defend;
(3)through disobedience, neglect, or intentional misconduct endangers the safety of any such command, unit, place, or military property;
(4)casts away his arms or ammunition;
(5)is guilty of cowardly conduct;
(6)quits his place of duty to plunder or pillage;
(7)causes false alarms in any command, unit, or place under control of the armed forces;
(8)willfully fails to do his utmost to encounter, engage, capture, or destroy any enemy troops, combatants, vessels, aircraft, or any other thing, which it is his duty so to encounter, engage, capture, or destroy; or
(9)does not afford all practicable relief and assistance to any troops, combatants, vessels, or aircraft of the armed forces belonging to the United States or their allies when engaged in battle;
shall be punished by death or such other punishment as a court-martial may direct.
(Aug. 10, 1956, ch. 1041, 70A Stat. 69.)

Posts: 13678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
Maybe this failed last ditch effort was the reason for changing his plea. They tried to say, because of Trump, he couldn't get a fair trial.

FORT BRAGG, N.C. — A military judge ruled Wednesday that prosecutors trying Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl don’t have to turn over more information about conversations one of them had with the Trump administration about the case.

Prosecutors have acknowledged that one of them spoke to a lawyer for the National Security Council earlier this year about defense efforts to derail the case over President Donald Trump’s harsh criticism of Bergdahl on the campaign trail. But they said the White House has given them no directions on how to prosecute Bergdahl.

Defense lawyers have argued that Trump’s criticism prevented Bergdahl from getting a fair trial on charges that he endangered other service members by walking off his post in Afghanistan in 2009. But in February, the judge ruled that Trump’s comments didn’t constitute unlawful command influence.

The judge, Army Col. Jeffery R. Nance, said Wednesday that further information about conversations between lawyers well after Trump’s comments wouldn’t change the court’s conclusion that the criticism won’t sway the case.

“The point is: Why does it matter what he said to whoever it was at the National Security Council?” Nance said.

Capt. Nina Banks, a defense attorney, said the defense needs more information. Defense attorneys had sought to formally interview Maj. Justin Oshana, a prosecutor, about the conversations and get copies of emails without certain details blacked out.

“Trial counsel here himself was discussing (a pending legal motion) with these White House people,” she said. Later she added: “The issue here is: We don’t know what he said.”

Prosecutors have said discussions with the White House lawyer were about what could be done if the defense had succeeded in proving that Trump’s comments swayed the case. They said the White House never gave them instructions on how to conduct the case.

They argued that further details about the discussions were irrelevant because Nance already rejected the defense’s motion related to Trump’s comments at campaign events, which included repeatedly calling Bergdahl a “traitor.”

White House press staff didn’t immediately respond to an email message seeking comment about what the lawyers discussed earlier this year.

Among the other motions argued Wednesday was the defense’s assertion that prosecutors are unfairly trying Bergdahl on multiple charges for the same underlying action.

“There is exactly one action at stake: Sgt. Bergdahl walked off the base without authorization,” said Lt. Col. Frankin Rosenblatt, a defense lawyer.

But prosecutors countered that it’s not uncommon in military justice for a single action to trigger multiple offenses.

Nance said he was inclined to wait to hear more evidence before deciding whether the charges were unfairly duplicative, but could still rule before the trial.

http://www.armytimes.com/news/...-house-meeting-info/

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
And yes, he should be a corpse rotting in the ground right now.

Just what do you have against the ground? This is Mother Earth you're talking about. To quote The Duke "Buzzards got to eat too". I would suggest he just be left where the firing squad shot his sorry ass. To rot.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Well, got to at least give one to BHO, not pardoning this scum.

Had Bobo put on heels and a dress, BHO would have, almost guaranteed.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I have to wonder, would he be forgoing this trial had Hillary won? My gut says "no". Trump's generals today are focused on things other than political correctness. Clinton would still have them chasing their tails, and I cannot imagine General Mattis would be SecDef.

Under Clinton, Bergdahl would have eventually walked.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
And yes, he should be a corpse rotting in the ground right now.

Just what do you have against the ground? This is Mother Earth you're talking about. To quote The Duke "Buzzards got to eat too". I would suggest he just be left where the firing squad shot his sorry ass. To rot.

Pssst...Josie Wales said it.
The hell with them fellas. Buzzards gotta eat…same as worms."

I don't agree with him being shot dead already before trial is concluded.
I'll settle for 2 minutes after...

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
quote:

Horseshit.

Mercy to the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.

The "merciful" part is that he's being shot and isn't being fed into a fire and inch at a time.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bergdahl deserted his Afghanistan post in 2009 and was held captive by the Taliban for about five years. He was released in 2014 for five Taliban detainees by the Obama administration.

Held by the Obama administration or IN the Obama administration?

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:

Pssst...Josie Wales said it.

I'm sorry. You and Josie have my sincere apology for my misquote. But he still should have been left to rot. Or should be.

We should make an approach to North Korea for a unique way to off the bastard.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
No punishment is too cruel or too unusual for this little motherfucker...after a fair trial, of course.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
quote:

No but hell no.
The sorry ass cock sucker got good men killed looking for this piece of shit. Mad

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post