SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Robert Pirsig died yesterday
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Robert Pirsig died yesterday Login/Join 
posted
Author of "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance", which had nothing to do with Zen or art, and damned little to do with motorcycle maintenance.

I lost my copy years ago, passing it on to friends who lost track of where it went. I strongly recommend reading it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/0...aintenance.html?_r=0

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
Author of "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance", which had nothing to do with Zen or art, and damned little to do with motorcycle maintenance.

I lost my copy years ago, passing it on to friends who lost track of where it went. I strongly recommend reading it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/0...aintenance.html?_r=0

I had to read that book for a class in college. It was very...interesting. I think if I re-read it now, I would get more out of it.

RIP Mr. Persig.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
He had a follow up called Lila, which I never read.

Read Zen years ago. Interesting for sure.

RIP Mr.Pirsig

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
My senior year in HS I was in a team-taught humanities class with four teachers. The music teacher was obsessed with that book and had us read some of it.

Takes me back.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:

I had to read that book for a class in college. It was very...interesting...

And difficult to categorize, I'd say. His thoughts on "Quality" as definable influence my thinking to this day.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thunderson:
He had a follow up called Lila, which I never read...

IIRC, he began that book by telling about the death of his son, who also suffered from schizophrenia and was murdered outside a shelter he frequented. That struck me so hard that I don't remember if I read the rest of that book, and I know I didn't keep it.

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
I think Pirsig wrote a great book that is going to be around for a long time. Rest in Peace

Posts: 6394 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
My Dad and I read the book in the 80's which lead to a father/son motorcycle trip from Texas to California.

I agree about the author's thoughts on quality, I still reflect on and quote him to this day.

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1891 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Frown RIP Mr. Pirsig.

I just mentioned my avoidance of 'gumption traps' when talking with a good friend the other day.

Posts: 15031 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Must be to "high brow" for me.

I have tried reading that book so many times...I just gave up on it.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flow first,
power later.
posted Hide Post
The audio book is excellent

Posts: 672 | Location: Tampa | Registered: September 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post