SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gigabit FiOS On Scene
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gigabit FiOS On Scene Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted
Just had gigabit FiOS provisioned at the castle. Had them run only ethernet into the home. Works very well so far. Will be installing Google mesh trio of WiFi access points next.

No phone, no TV, no motorcar, just a single luxury of gigabit browsing speed. $80 per month.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's similar to my setup at home as well. Gigabit and super stable - never gone down (mine is from AT&T though - $83.xx a month incl tax).

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Dang. I pay $85/month for ~150mbps from my local cable provider.

That's 7x the speed for the same price.

(Or is that just the "promotional price", and after 3 months it'll be $200/month? Big Grin)

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
gigabit FiOS

Currently a limited area, East Coast to the Mid Atlantic only.

https://www.verizon.com/home/fiosavailability/

Posts: 23395 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

(Or is that just the "promotional price", and after 3 months it'll be $200/month? Big Grin)

It used to be $70 + tax when I first signed up about 1.5 years ago. They have since bumped it to $90 + tax regular rate but if I signed, which I did, a 12-month contract, then they knocked $10 off.

On my wired PC, I clock about 920 Mbps down and 940 Mbps up and 1-2 ms pings.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

You can feel better about things. I pay what you pay for 8 mbps wireless. I could get "up to" 10 mbps on cellular, but with a data cap. But that's what you have to pick from in the middle of nowhere. Well, there is satellite internet, but that's a worse option.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
It is fast. I like.

-------

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Is this full fiber into the house?

We have a company setting up shop here. Supposed to be in my area come the beginning of the year. They claim $60 a month for gigabit speed. I pay $50 for 100mbps at the moment.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Fiber to the optical network terminal at house. Then Ethernet into house direct to modem.

-------

posted Hide Post
Mine is also fiber (shielded tiny glass strand not much thicker than human hair) into the ONT inside my garage, then ethernet from ONT to AT&T modem, then ethernet from modem to Linksys router (I run my own router/wireless AP).

Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
Fiber to the optical network terminal at house. Then Ethernet into house direct to modem.

I think you mean direct to router. No modem needed if output of ONT is Ethernet.

Feel lucky. The distant promise of wireless everywhere has curtailed fiber investment to the home in many areas.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10905 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Modem" is needed - sucks I know but that is where you account is authenticated onto, in this case AT&T network.

Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
No Verizon equipment is needed. I am provisioned direct to Ethernet and will plug in a Google mesh system today.

-------

Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
We just got Google fiber a few months ago. So far i am not impressed. As much as I hate Comcast we will probably be switching back after the first of the year.

Posts: 7393 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Kudos on GB Internet but just know WIFI will not achieve the full throughput and an even more bigger hit with MESH.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BenderRodriguez:

Is gigabit speed really necessary?

I multitask using several computers throughout the day and never felt like I was missing out on anything with 25mbps UL/DL.
25 down is plenty for us. We are supposed to have 3 up, I actually see 3.5 to 3.75 when I run speed test, but I would like to have faster upload speeds, maybe 10 or more. Reason: Ring Video Doorbell. They state a 2 Mb upload requirement, we have almost double that, but all too frequently I receive forty seconds of black screen instead of an actual video.

I am convinced that this is actually a Ring problem, not a problem with my router or internet speed, but I would like to have faster upload speed in order to be able to refute Ring NO-support's assertion that the problem lies within my router or internet speed.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am convinced that this is actually a Ring problem , not a problem with my router or internet speed, but I would like to have faster upload speed in order to be able to refute Ring NO-support's assertion that the problem lies within my router or internet speed.

I would tend to agree with you.
Slower upload speeds do hurt but I think you zoomed in on the problem.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Just installed three Google WiFi devices, in a mesh network. Google reported WiFi speeds of 657 Mbps download, 767 Mbps upload.

-------

Winner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BenderRodriguez:
Is gigabit speed really necessary?

I multitask using several computers throughout the day and never felt like I was missing out on anything with 25mbps UL/DL. I'm constantly streaming media, downloading and uploading gigabytes of data.

Most of what I do is through a VPN which doesn't match my bandwidth on an average day and even if it did, the servers on the other side may not be able to upload at full bandwidth.

Honest question to those who have it... do you feel like it's worth it and what are you doing that makes such a difference having more speed?

I recently upgraded from 25Mbps/6Mbps AT&T Uverse DSL to AT&T Gigabit Fiber.

The primary motivator for me, was the ability to check in on my security cameras (from work) at full frame rate and resolution (~35Mbps).

A secondary motivation was my kid, who is off at college, often likes to access resources on our home network (over an IPsec VPN). It was fairly easy for him to saturate my outbound 6Mbps and cause everything at the house (going to the Internet) to come to a screeching halt. Traffic shaping could somewhat work around this, but the additional bandwidth was a more pleasant solution for everybody. He now hits 300Mbps peaks, and I don’t even notice, until I look at my usage graphs.

Gigabit is probably overkill, even for my atypical home network (from ~35 years in IT), but having additional bandwidth (especially outbound) is nice, and the incremental cost was only about $20/mo.

Necessary, no.
Nice, yes.
Worth it, (for me) yes.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jlb226,

Posts: 132 | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have uncapped fiber from AT&T and it's definitely overkill for what I use but the cost above a capped plan either fiber or slower isn't enough to worry about. It's about what I was paying for a landline and slow DSL and now I have fiber and no landline.

Posts: 4277 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post