SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    John Deere/Yanmar/Shibaura FrankenTraktor
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

John Deere/Yanmar/Shibaura FrankenTraktor Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Posted a while back about the Shibaura tractor I picked up cheap and found it had a shelled-out ring and pinion with no parts available. Decided to see if I could find a suitable candidate for an engine transplant.

Picked up this derelict John Deere 455 with a dead Yanmar engine in it. Shaft drive transaxle, live hydraulics and power steering. Excellent candidate and the frame design makes it relatively easy to adapt the motor mounts to the Shibaura engine.

Made some mounting rails for the Shibaura engine out of 1/4 x 3" plate, cut the ears off the Yanmar mounts and welded them to the plates. A little bit of work with a grinder for clearance for the oil filter and drain plug, a few love taps with a BFH to get the engine to set more-or-less level and it's in. Relatively simple task.

Driveshaft for the trans hooks to the nose of the crank to get the direction of rotation correct, so the engine goes in "backwards" with the flywheel at the front.

Just need to do a little creative plumbing to get the Shibaura water jacket hooked to the JD radiator and figure out the wiring. The JD has a Nanny Board with all sorts of safeties and interlocks. Thinking I'll make that go away and just wire switches for Fuel Pump, Ignition, Starter, Glow Plugs and PTO. Maybe get fancy and put an indicator bulb in the PTO and Glow Plug circuits.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Very cool, keep the pics coming

Posts: 5318 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Just a quick update for the 2 people that might still be interested:

It's running and I was able to keep the JD wiring original. Much to my surprise, the "nanny board" was still functional after sitting out in the weather for years.

Hope to take and post some video tomorrow, weather permitting.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Very nice PHP. That is a great project you are doing.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Love reading about your tinkering...wish I had half the ability.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6316 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Pretty cool. Need a video when you're done. Love to hear those little diesels.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
... always with the excellent stories.

Tractor on, dude.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I enjoy your adventures also!

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1365 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Short YouTube Video of FrankenTraktor

Assuming the TubeIt link is history.

posted Hide Post

Posts: 1365 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Assuming the TubeIt link is history.

Here is a link to the new one. https://imaginekitty.com/karma.php and thank you Mark 123 for making it.

Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I'd make a diesel generator with it.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Ah...Beauty! Thank you.

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
I'd make a diesel generator with it.

Hmmmmmmm. I wonder what the front PTO speed is?

Only a 14hp engine so generator size would be limited to 10KW or so. I know you can get 540RPM generator heads.

Might just have to look into that.

Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
Front PTO rpm for the mid mount mower with a K91 Tuff Torque
transmission should be ~ 2000 rpm.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1537 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Very cool...recycling at it's finest! Nice to see that old 455 come to life again.

Posts: 8568 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cee_Kamp:
Front PTO rpm for the mid mount mower with a K91 Tuff Torque
transmission should be ~ 2000 rpm.

That fast? Hmmmmmm. Might be a candidate for a generator head then.

It had a power broom on it, I assume it had a gear reduction in the driveline.

Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
It took me 2.5' to run a single [pair of] wire from my camper shell brake light to a harness above the brake pedal. You'd probably relagate me to 'logistics' on jobs like this. Looks great!

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
That is terrific! I really enjoy your tinkering videos Paul.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna need you to put a turbo on it and do burnouts and donuts

Very nice work Smile

Posts: 5318 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post