SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    John Deere/Yanmar/Shibaura FrankenTraktor
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

John Deere/Yanmar/Shibaura FrankenTraktor Login/Join 
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
PHPaul,
Here is the data on the John Deere 455 mid mount PTO speed. That would be with the Yanmar diesel running at the rated RPM of 3350.
https://www.tractordata.com/la...-john-deere-455.html

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1537 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
Any of the John Deere heavy duty garden tractors that use the Tuff Torque K 91 & K 92 transmission can have a cat 1 (sometimes a cat 0) three point hitch and live 540 rear PTO installed.
That's two separate upgrades. I would suggest some of the larger lawn and garden tractor junkyards in Pennsylvania for acquisition.
Both are easily installed at home in your shop.

If you decide to run a generator with the FrankenTraktor, using the rear PTO would likely be easier. (off the shelf generators and PTO driveshafts)
You could do it from the mid mount PTO, but it's going to need a long PTO driveshaft to get out in front of the tractor.
Perhaps you can find a half speed generator that's made to run at 1800 rpm.

But the big "IF" is whether the Shibaura 2 cylinder diesel will run at the rated RPM of the Yanmar (which is 3350 rpm) to get 540 rpm output speed for the rear PTO, or 2000 rpm on the mid mount PTO.
(important with generator usage for AC line frequency at 60hz.
Time to test Shibaura diesel rated RPM with a tachometer?

NRA Instructor

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Thank you, cee_Kamp.

It has the mid-to-front PTO shaft on it as it was set up for a power broom.

I would like to find a 3PH and rear PTO conversion for it. I'll have to sniff around.

I have the tach from the Shibaura to mount yet, but I seriously doubt it turns that fast. 2500 seems a much more likely number. I also have a hand-help optical tach that I can use as a second opinion and see what the front PTO speed is.

When I get more data, I'll get back to you.

Thanks again!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
That is really cool! I'm glad folks have the ability and knowledge to do things like this! I enjoy watching.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
@ cee_Kamp - As I suspected, the max RPM on the Shibaura is ~ 2500, within the tolerance of a mechanical tach.

That's roughly 75% of the Yanmar, which should yield a front PTO RPM of ~1500, which is too slow for a generator, even if I could find a 4 pole/1800 RPM generator head at a reasonable price.

It doesn't have the rear PTO, but we'd have the same problem anyway. If I tried to slow the front down enough to drive a 540, the engine would be way below the power band and loping all over the place.

IOW, the generator idea is a bust.

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great work resurrecting some worthwhile donors! I love to tinker, but haven't the time at this season of life. However, I sure enjoy watching summaries of others doing it. Kudos!

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
PHPaul,
Here is a 3-point style 10kw generator for sale for $450.
It has a cog (toothed) belt drive. Belt drive between Input shaft mounted in pillow block bearings, and the generator.
Some pulley tooth count changes would let you dial in your lack of PTO shaft rpm.
Several photos at the link.

https://www.greentractortalk.c...educed-again.191406/

Located in Scranton, Pennsylvania.
Just a day trip between down east Maine and Scranton. You can be home for dinner.
Or if you prefer, Scranton is only a couple hours away from my location.
I could go and get it for you, and I will store it here at my place until you come to upstate New York and retrieve it.
I am a Member at greentractortalk, let me know if you need to get in contact with the seller.

NRA Instructor

Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Well you’re handier than a saddle horn, aren’t ya Wink

Posts: 13258 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
One of the many problems this poor old tractor had is that both front tie rods were literally held together with baling wire because they were so worn the balls would fall out of the sockets.

I ordered new ends and they've been sitting on the bench for a month or more because I was busy with other things.

Had a minute to put them on this morning. I just left the jam nuts more-or-less where they were on the old ones, screwed the new ones on and went for a test drive. MUCH better, but still has a tendency to wander.

"Toe-in issues" sez I, and checked it. 2-1/2 inches of toe in!!! I knew that was WAY too much so I adjusted it out to about an inch. Haven't tested it yet, battery is on the charger and Mrs. PHPaul wants to go for her morning walk here in a bit.

Then I recalled that I had a PDF of the shop manual for it, so I had a look. Spec is 1/4 inch...Gee, ya suppose that's part of the problem then?

When we get back, I'll adjust it some more and go for a little spin.

posted Hide Post
Bet she'll purt near drive herself like one of those GPS combines!

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Pretty impressive, thanks for a look!

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
All my other projects are on hold for one reason or another and the remnants of Ida are passing through so rain and wind pretty much make outdoor stuff a pain.

Got a little bored (ALWAYS a dangerous and usually an expensive thing for me) so decided to investigate why the Shibaura engine was being such a miserable PITA to start.

First thought was dead glow plugs, so I pulled them out and hooked them to my bench power supply. After a few seconds they started glowing red hot just like they should.

Second thought was the glow plug timer that's built into the electronics on the JD chassis wasn't giving them enough current (my power supply indicated about 3 amps at 12vdc) so I thought "OK, I'll hook them direct to the battery via a momentary switch and an indicator light and run them manually".

Per my usual practice, I buffed up all the connections before reassembling and wired them back up to the onboard timer and thought "Those connections were pretty grungy, I should probably try it again to see if cleaning them helped."

Two glow cycles later, she cranked right up!

I'm going to wire an indicator into the circuit as right now I'm listening for the relay to drop out and being old and more than a little hard of hearing, that's not very efficient.

Good news is that it's an easy (and cheap) fix. Bad news is, now I'm out of things to do again...