SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Several Chicago police officers misused placards, IG report says
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Several Chicago police officers misused placards, IG report says Login/Join 
posted
I thought this was a job perk. Does not bother me. If I attended those games I would never drive. I guess those guys may now be walking for awhile. BTW parking in front of fire hydrants is NOT OK EVER.

CHICAGO — Some Chicago officers misused their department-issued placards to park their own cars illegally in station parking lots, so that their friends could attend Cubs or Bears games, a new Inspector General report shows.

They also parked in a tow-away zone along a narrow street by City Hall, blocking fire lanes and emergency exits, according to the report.

Officers also illegally parked around the Cadillac Palace Theatre in the Loop.

The officers' cars were never ticketed or towed, despite numerous complaints.

In the report, Inspector General Joseph Ferguson chided police for not reminding officers during roll calls about a February 2018 directive prohibiting such preferential parking.

According to the Chicago Tribune, the 2018 directive came after a separate probe by Ferguson’s office found that police employees provided illegal, free parking to off-duty cops, their friends and family outside the United Center to attend Blackhawks games.

LINK: https://wgntv.com/2019/10/09/s...rds-ig-reports-says/

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow - imagine that. What a travesty. Like government officials don't do the same exact thing?

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, Chicago should have illegal parking at the top of the list.

Posts: 7011 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
Yep, Chicago should have illegal parking at the top of the list.

Seriously, I can't think of a more pressing issue for that city than a few cops illegally parking</sarc>

Posts: 7523 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
Pretty much my thought. Doesn't that place have waaaaaaay bigger fish to fry?? JSMH...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^
Yeah lets pick on the cops. The city of patronage and perhaps a slight gang problem. At least the jurors convicted the two gangbangers who killed the nine year old kid.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:

Seriously, I can't think of a more pressing issue for that city than a few cops illegally parking</sarc>

Preach it brother.

For example: The Feds are currently investigating Ed Burke (finally!), the longest-serving member of the City Council. Until very recently, Burke was a partner in a law firm which made millions of dollars doing City and County property tax appeals and representing a number of clients doing business with the City. Oh, and Burke's wife is Chief Justice of the IL Supreme Court.

Then there's Mike Madigan, Speaker of the IL House, and the longest-serving leader of any state or federal legislative body in the history of the United States, having held the position since 1983. He is the most powerful politician in the State, with the Governor being a distant second. Madigan is also the senior partner of his own law firm which also made millions of dollars doing property tax appeals. Oh, and until last year, Madigan's daughter was IL Attorney General.

But, yes, by all means, let's get serious about corruption and misuse of office -- and go after some cops who got some free parking.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
So you guys think they should just ignore the issue and let the cops continue to park illegally? There are corrupt officials higher up in the government, so as long they exist, it's okay for police to break the law.

I say, until the lowly citizen can park wherever they want without the fear of being towed, then fuck these cops.

Posts: 3369 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
So you guys think they should just ignore the issue and let the cops continue to park illegally? There are corrupt officials higher up in the government, so as long they exist, it's okay for police to break the law.

I say, until the lowly citizen can park wherever they want without the fear of being towed, then fuck these cops.

They are cops in one of the shittiest, crime ridden shitholes in America. While it may not be ethical for the misuse of parking placards, it is one of least important issues that city has.
I consider it a perk of their crap job that no one else wishes to do.

Fuck those cops? I don’t see you signing up to fill a position on their police force...

Maybe it’s not those cops that should go get fucked...

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
So you're saying as long as there is so much crime in Chicago, it's okay for these officers to take advantage of there positions and break the law. Maybe that's why crime is so bad there.

Posts: 3369 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RaiseHal
posted Hide Post
Maybe it's such a shit hole because the whole culture from the top down is everyone breaks the law, so what are you gonna do about it.

You know, like Mexico.

It's a shame that youth is wasted on the young --- Mark Twain

Anyone who is not a liberal by age 20 has no heart; anyone who is not a conservative by age 40 has no brain---Winston Churchill

Posts: 4650 | Location: The Free State of Georgia | Registered: August 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
quote:
So you're saying as long as there is so much crime in Chicago, it's okay for these officers to take advantage of there positions and break the law. Maybe that's why crime is so bad there.

If you think cops getting out of parking tickets has led to Chicago’s violent crime rate you either have issues with cops or psychiatric issues, my friend. Roll Eyes

Posts: 6955 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:

One of the stupidest things ever written on here.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
One of the stupidest things ever written on here.

He clinched that one with “I say, until the lowly citizen can park wherever they want without the fear of being towed, then fuck these cops.”

Posts: 6955 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
I am not a fan of two sets of rules, and cops playing fast and loose with the placards doesn’t promote respect. However, if we are going to punish these cops for this misbehavior, we should punish the politicians in an equally appropriate manner for their corruption. I’d guess given the scale of the cops’ transgressions with the placards and the IL politicians corruption, if the cops get a verbal reprimand, to be appropriate the pols probably need a 45-60 minute beating by six guys with axe handles. If the cops get a written reprimand, then balanced punishment would suggest there should be some pols decorating lamp posts.

No, police corruption, even a little thing like this isn’t cool. However, when you are up to your waist wading in raw sewage, how upset are you going to be about someone farting?

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
Alright, you got me. I'm an idiot for wanting the police, let alone the politicians, held to the same standards they would hold me to. Go ahead and kill me now.

posted Hide Post
Paten, I think what you're suggesting is like cleaning the windows while the house is on fire.

Posts: 7523 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I'm only suggesting that they not get away with breaking the law. Do the same thing thing to their cars that you would do to anyone else's. Ticket them or tow them. They already got their warning last year.

Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
My guess is this is a long standing practice so officers could park in the pd lot when going to work or court that grew over time and got out of hand. To say parking down there is a problem is an understatement. My first step would be to find the command officers who misused the placards and step on their necks then go on a ticket writing campaign. Its like taking free coffee or free meals-you can't be partly straight any more than being partly pregnant. You have to change the culture, which would be difficult in that politically corrupt cesspool. With that said this is not a newsworthy issue-command can fix it without fanfare. The fact that it has not been fixed tells me it has been tacitly approved by command in the past.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Alright, you got me. I'm an idiot for wanting the police, let alone the politicians, held to the same standards they would hold me to. Go ahead and kill me now.

My first thought is that u less they’re blocking a hydrant, who cares where they park. Consider it a perk of the job and tell the IG to worry about more important things in the city.

I think that myself, and others on here were a little bit pissed, and dismissed your post when we read “I say, until the lowly citizen can park wherever they want without the fear of being towed, then fuck these cops.“

Had that little shot at the police been left off, your argument would have been viewed in quite a different light.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post