SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Several Chicago police officers misused placards, IG report says
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Several Chicago police officers misused placards, IG report says Login/Join 
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
Alright, you got me. I'm an idiot for wanting the police, let alone the politicians, held to the same standards they would hold me to. Go ahead and kill me now.

My first thought is that unless they’re blocking a hydrant, who cares where they park. Consider it a perk of the job and tell the IG to worry about more important things in the city.

I think that myself, and others on here were a little bit pissed, and dismissed your post when we read “I say, until the lowly citizen can park wherever they want without the fear of being towed, then fuck these cops.“

Had that little shot at the police been left off, your argument would have been viewed in quite a different light.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
Not all cops. "These" cops misusing their privileges.

Posts: 3382 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
It’s a bad practice unless the officers are legitimately on call for some kind of actual duty related activity such as SWAT or other specialized skill. Anything else puts officers in a bad light and rightly so. Personally, I have no interest in being identifiable in any way when I’m off duty.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15573 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
These guys are amateurs. The NYPD towed away cars that were legally parked so that off duty police could park their personal cars near the facility for their flag football game Roll Eyes

LINK

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
If I as a private citizen are subject to a ticket or citation, it's laughable and abhorrent to think an officer, off duty, is immune from the same ticket. Officers deserved the criticism and those supporting them are cindining special treatment not given to the rest of us.

Same with cellphone and seatbelt laws.

Posts: 4076 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
/sarc on
Yeah, in Chicago, there's no bigger fish to fry than to investigate parking abuse.
/sarc off

Maybe in Mayberry, if Andy and Barney were misusing parking, that might get to the top of the list. For Chi-town? Not hardly.

How many homicides are we up to there? This week? Roll Eyes

Posts: 15027 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Do you think that Alderman, politicians, politically connected get the same benefit, because they do. Of course here is the rest of the story from Second City Cop Blog:

"Courtesy Parking

So if courtesy parking is a thing of the past, does that mean:
aldercreatures parking in police lots is going to be reported by Ferguson and fines/sanctions will be filed against politicians?
District level "courtesy" for certain events is done now?
churches, especially on the south and west sides, can expect strict parking enforcement by officers - and the "revrunds" and aldercreatures who call to complain will be told to stuff it?
Sunday is coming, and we're asking for a friend."

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
My old man went to drill weekend at the East 9th street naval reserve station in Cleveland once a month. I always used his credentials to park there during Browns / Indians games and the Labor Day airshow. It was awesome. I have zero issues with people taking advantage of a perk afforded them, or their family.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
So you're saying as long as there is so much crime in Chicago, it's okay for these officers to take advantage of there positions and break the law. Maybe that's why crime is so bad there.

If your house is on fire and your front door needs painted, one takes priority.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
The way to apply the law is from the top down, not the bottom up. The top of the pyramid is where the example is made and legitimacy is established. The ability to break the law, no matter how trivial, is not a"perk".

What about my example above where police towed away legally parked cars so they could park their own cars in that area to play football? How do you think they got that brazen? It's incremental.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So if a policeman takes a small bribe, that would be OK, just moving the deck chairs on the Titanic. As long as the higher ups get much larger bribes (those would be crimes) it would just be a perk. Got it.

Posts: 1802 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stlhead:
So if a policeman takes a small bribe, that would be OK, just moving the deck chairs on the Titanic. As long as the higher ups get much larger bribes (those would be crimes) it would just be a perk. Got it.

More like the big shots getting out of parking tickets for bigger cars. Trying to equate it with major felonies is silly. It’s like saying leaving work five minutes early is no different than cheating old ladies out their life’s savings.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chicago has limited PD resources. Should they spend the time chasing down cops that park illegally or should they spend time chasing down gang bangers? Seems like a no brainer to me.

Posts: 7549 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure they have personnel assigned to different squads. I would think they have one that deals with traffic and parking pretty much exclusively. It's kinda their job.

Nah. I'm probably wrong. I don't know what they do.

Posts: 3382 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
Discipline starts with small things.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4618 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tinyman
posted Hide Post
Guess the police need to learn the lesson, "lead by example".

Stupid people are like glo-sticks.
I want to shake the shit out of them
till the light comes on

Posts: 315 | Location: Leeds, Alabama | Registered: August 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
This is chicken shit.

This isn't:
Diplomats owe $17 mll in New York parking fines

http://nymag.com/intelligencer...parking-tickets.html

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8353 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
I am not a fan of two sets of rules, and cops playing fast and loose with the placards doesn’t promote respect. However, if we are going to punish these cops for this misbehavior, we should punish the politicians in an equally appropriate manner for their corruption. I’d guess given the scale of the cops’ transgressions with the placards and the IL politicians corruption, if the cops get a verbal reprimand, to be appropriate the pols probably need a 45-60 minute beating by six guys with axe handles. If the cops get a written reprimand, then balanced punishment would suggest there should be some pols decorating lamp posts.

No, police corruption, even a little thing like this isn’t cool. However, when you are up to your waist wading in raw sewage, how upset are you going to be about someone farting?

Very well said.

Do I think it's OK for some cops to use their positions to get some free parking? Of course not.

But I think it's insane for the IG to ignore the tidal wave of corruption throughout many levels of government in this State, but decide they need to spend time and resources to go after a couple of cops for a minor transgression.

Moreover, I may be naive, but I think that if people start seeing high level officials start heading to jail for corruption, folks down on the street will have second thoughts about stepping over the line themselves.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:

How many homicides are we up to there? This week? Roll Eyes

Great site for those keeping tabs is HeyJackass!.

So far this week: 26 shootings and 2 homicides; for October, 54 shootings and 9 homicides; for 2019, 2,182 shootings and 408 homicides.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
I am not a fan of two sets of rules, and cops playing fast and loose with the placards doesn’t promote respect. However, if we are going to punish these cops for this misbehavior, we should punish the politicians in an equally appropriate manner for their corruption. I’d guess given the scale of the cops’ transgressions with the placards and the IL politicians corruption, if the cops get a verbal reprimand, to be appropriate the pols probably need a 45-60 minute beating by six guys with axe handles. If the cops get a written reprimand, then balanced punishment would suggest there should be some pols decorating lamp posts.

No, police corruption, even a little thing like this isn’t cool. However, when you are up to your waist wading in raw sewage, how upset are you going to be about someone farting?

Very well said.

Do I think it's OK for some cops to use their positions to get some free parking? Of course not.

But I think it's insane for the IG to ignore the tidal wave of corruption throughout many levels of government in this State, but decide they need to spend time and resources to go after a couple of cops for a minor transgression.

Moreover, I may be naive, but I think that if people start seeing high level officials start heading to jail for corruption, folks down on the street will have second thoughts about stepping over the line themselves.

It's the Inspector General for the City, not the State. They don't have jurisdiction over State officials. And it's the Office of Inspector General, so they can investigate more than one thing at a time. Just because there are bigger fish out there doesn't mean they have to, or should, ignore the small fries. Just like traffic cops don't let you off the hook if someone else is speeding faster than you were. You still get your ticket.