SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    have you ever had your lunch held hostage by your cookware?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

have you ever had your lunch held hostage by your cookware? Login/Join 
posted
My sister made a hot pot of pork roast , sauerkraut and dumplings , but we had to take it to another location , so I sat the covered pot in the trunk and off we went,
it was about 30 degrees out.

25 minutes later we unpack and go in to the building.

set the table and attempt to un cover the pot full o goodness.

Not!

the pot has grabbed the lid, tighter than tight.

I asked my sister where she wanted me to drill the hole, Big Grin

I thought about the scientific method for removal , ( heat one thing , cool the other )

but could not figure out which to do with what .

so I risked my pocket knife tip as a pry bar.
ever so carefully and off it came.

I've never had that happen before

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54595 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Network Janitor
Picture of mkueffer
posted Hide Post
Science project 103: heat a vessel with (liquid) food, water vapor will excite and expand.

Place lid on vessel.

Cool contents, this will create the vacuum when the gas cools and condenses to form a vacuum seal.

Best way is to heat vessel again to expand the contents and free the lid.

I’ve successfully sealed my lunch in a newer style Tupperware with a silicone gasket by heating it in the microwave. Then walking to the table it cooled sufficiently to seal the contents inside.

A few Sigs and some others

Posts: 2219 | Location: Waukesha, WI | Registered: February 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Not to that extent.

I've put stuff on the table, covered w/ the lid to keep it warm while waiting for others. By the time we go to eat, a couple of them need a tug.

Posts: 7347 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
Canning works on this principal.

Posts: 6360 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, but I did have my hunting clothes held hostage in a similar fashion.

To "recharge" activated carbon hunting clothes you put them in a dryer. From the dryer I put them into a 5 gallon airtight bucket with a screw on lid.

All was good until I tried to unscrew the lid. I realized what had happened and to remedy it I had to straddle the bucket with my legs, squeezing it like a thighmaster while unscrewing the lid.

It was about at this time with me on the floor straddling the bucket, hunched over trying to unscrew it that my hunting partner walked in the cabin... He just turned around and walked back out.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post