SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dyson vacuums - what are your thoughts
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dyson vacuums - what are your thoughts Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
For years, Consumer Reports has been testing vacuum cleaners head to head. Every update is the same story, for the same effectiveness there is significantly less expensive options and for the same price there is more effective vacuums.

I doubt any of us are dumping a measured amount of talc, sand, and pet hair into carpet before vacuuming and measuring how much is in the cannister or bag after vacuuming. It's not just lifting it out of the carpeting, the filtration system needs to trap it in the cannister/bag rather than putting out a "fog" of talc, sand, and pet dander.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
We have had both a Dyson Animal and a Shark Rotator Truepet. Both cleaned the floors equally as well in my opinion. The Shark cost less, has more features, and is a bit more flexible for a variety of uses due to its design.

There are probably others that will do an equally well or better job. As with all things, somebody creates a new technology and then everybody else jumps on board and runs with it.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15714 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a refurb Dyson Ball Animal for $279 three years ago and it's been working great. I've got three cats.

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

We've always had 3 dogs, and my wife won't use anything but a Dyson. She will not have a bagger or filter, just dump the canister in the trash. Agreed repairability is not great. The local vacuum repair guy (who just retired and who serviced many brands) would not touch a Dyson, but they were also heavy pushers of HEPA filtered machines for the lines they sold.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
I got the Dyson pet stand up vacuum a couple years ago and it has been great. Last year I got the Dyson cordless smaller pet vacuum and love it. I make a joke that if my mother (who passed away a few years ago) had been around and used it, she would put put it in her Will.

Posts: 3932 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Looks like I should take a look at a Shark. Plus, wait until Black Friday.

Thanks for all the responses.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
RTG Parts
posted Hide Post
Dyson has made a couple duds in the past but there current line is durable and powerful. Handy vac that they make is top notch.

NRA LIFE MEMBER - NSSF MEMBER

www.RobertRTG.com for the best prices on HK, AK, MG42, Uzi parts and more.

Posts: 459 | Location: Sheridan, Wyoming | Registered: March 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Got the cheapest Dyson on stick vacuum a couple Black Fridays ago. Very happy.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sig77,

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JasonATI
posted Hide Post
I thought this video was pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK-7X3oSVoA

Posts: 429 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: October 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
We are on our second Dyson, this one being the Animal. Our first Dyson had a larger canister, which may not sound like a big deal, but I now must empty the canister when I am half finished with our house. We have a small house and I vacuum every Wednesday.

We bought the Animal because I loved the job our first Dyson did.

While on vacation (with our Dog), I used the Shark that was in our rental's closet. I do not remember the model, but I was very impressed.

My next vacuum will be a Shark.

It appears the prices on the nicer vacuums has come down in the past 18 months.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jezsuiz
posted Hide Post
I have an older dyson animal. Still works like a charm. I hear the newer models at hit and miss.

Posts: 556 | Location: NE not new england | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
legendary_lawman
Picture of prairieviper
posted Hide Post
We have two, a Dyson Ball and an older Dyson upright. Both have been great! If you have a problem and need to call Dyson, their service and help is fantastic. Well worth the extra money, in my opinion.

"In God We Trust"

Posts: 1992 | Location: Central USA - Cornfields & Cows | Registered: May 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
We had mixed results with dyson and have been through a couple. We thought they worked well until we bought a Miele.

We vacuumed first with our Dyson Animal, then vacuumed again with the Miele and filled up the bag.

We switched.

Posts: 12920 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
I doubt any of us are dumping a measured amount of talc, sand, and pet hair into carpet before vacuuming and measuring how much is in the cannister or bag after vacuuming. It's not just lifting it out of the carpeting, the filtration system needs to trap it in the cannister/bag rather than putting out a "fog" of talc, sand, and pet dander.

This needs to be restated with emphasis. The vast majority of vacuums leak around every crack and crevice of the cannister and blow substantial dust out of the exhaust. Bagless are the worst, and most aren't even constructed to make an airtight seal around the removable bin. A good beater bar and suction means little if it's just trapping the big stuff and pumping particulate out the other end. A sealed system with bags made of filter media, not simple paper, is the solution. If the inside of the canister is dust free, you're onto something. Miele for us.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I have a Dyson and a Shark. They're both good.

I bought a slightly used Miele canister floor dragger whatchamacallit model to I could have that versatility. It's fine, I like it.

Check out a Miele C model in next Friday's Black Friday sale, and buy it. You won't be unhappy.

Posts: 11839 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post