SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dyson vacuums - what are your thoughts
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dyson vacuums - what are your thoughts Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
the dyson dealer /certified repair center here , says

they make up 20% of his vacuum sales, and 25% of his repair income, so durable they ain't.

people will balk all day long when he shows them the much better Simplicity Vac's,

they would rather spend the extra $ on repairing the Dyson's three times Roll Eyes

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54633 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
I have had 3 Dysons and 3 sharks,
For a kitchen broom vac, Dyson is best
for whole house shark is better by far.

Also look at the shark steamer for cleaning tile floors, that thing is amazing.

But to buy one vac, buy the shark hands down better.

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5132 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
the dyson dealer /certified repair center here , says

they make up 20% of his vacuum sales, and 25% of his repair income, so durable they ain't.

people will balk all day long when he shows them the much better Simplicity Vac's,

they would rather spend the extra $ on repairing the Dyson's three times Roll Eyes

Simplicity is a sub brand of Riccar

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Our Yellow dyson is probably over 10 years old and going strong, I've replaced the filters of course, but those are normal replacement parts.

It's a bit large to get under anything, so the roomba does that, amazing what those little suckers pick up... Dog hair notwithstanding.

I also picked up a dyson stick off Woot, this is the best vacuum for all around touch up and cleaning, detachable wands, plenty of power, great profile, for me its a great alternative to a roomba.

The large vacuums with canisters are overkill for us with tile and wood floors. Wife likes it, but I'd opt for Roomba and the dyson stick type vacs.

Posts: 23432 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Their newer products are cheaply made compared to older models and the engineering is quite poor like not being able to empty the canister without a wire hanger and not being able to disassemble the roller for cleaning (I shit you not).
Pass on anything new with the Dyson name.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I have both a Dyson stick and a Shark. The Shark stays in the closet.

To be fair, most of my flooring is hardwood. I use the stick to vacuum the area rugs. In my opinion, it's the best vacuum for that purpose I've ever had.

I have a Dirt Devil handheld for cleaning my cars, and a Bissell that also gets no use these days.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Replaced Dyson with Shark. Much happier. Cost, performance, durability better.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5053 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
We have a Dyson V8. Totally worth the loot. It's the real deal.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Miele Vacuums in our household

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11145 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JasonATI
posted Hide Post
Have a 10 year old Dyson Animal that has been fine but just purchased a Meile and like it alot more, can't believe how quiet it is.

Posts: 429 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: October 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Bought my certified refurb Dyson at ABC appliance online IIRC.
Saved money, got a great vacuum, and am quite happy.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a shark pro navigator. It has many different attachments, very versatile and works very well and honestly can't beat it for the money. My only gripe is it falls over easily if you're using the hose with an attachment as the base isn't as wide as a dyson.

I've used Dysons and they work well, but don't come with any attachments persay. I had a simplicity and it was a POS.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
I wish they still made the Dyson upright that doesn’t pivot on the ball. I hate that thing. Thankfully our non ball dyson still sucks big time.

If we ever need a new vacuum, it’ll be something different though.

I hate that ball design.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9154 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
We have two. They both suck. I would buy another. No issues at all.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Nothing but Dyson since 2003.

First was a Dyson upright (DC07), then canister (DC39) and about a year ago, cordless stick vac (v8 animal).
Never used anything else and may never need to.

Have hard wood floors. The attachment specifically for hard wood floors may or may not come with the vac of your choice. The hard wood floor attachment is thinner than the standard (carpet) attachment and reaches under everything.

The cords are plenty long. I live in a very small 2 bdr, 1 bath cottage of only about 750 square feet. I can plug in the Dyson in the living room and vacuum the entire house.

Of the three, I prefer the Dyson canister but each has a purpose. Now that I have choices, the upright is mostly relegated to hair cutting duty. I hook it up to my hair cutting attachment to vacuum hair as I cut. The canister is for whole house deep cleaning about every 3-4 weeks. The cordless stick is a quick grab and go between deep cleanings.

EDIT to add: The upright is just too heavy and doesn't reach under things in normal operating mode. It can be configured with attachment options but it's fiddly. The canister is the best Dyson option. It's lightweight to pull around, doesn't easily tip over, retractable cord with the push of a button and optional attachments are easily incorporated. Only hit would be unlike the upright, the canister doesn't have an onboard feature for housing attachments when not in use. The stick vac, well, it's a stick vac, rechargeable and great for quick or spot cleanups.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Until my last move, I had (and still used) a space-age Hoover “Constellation” my parents got as a wedding gift in 1956. They don’t make ‘em like they used to.
I think I have the still-functional Sunbeam “Toastmaster” toaster they got in ‘56 around here somewhere, as well.
When people brag on the durability of modern small appliances that lasted ten years, I smile.

Posts: 26901 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Do any offer a powered brush attachment? I'd rather use just an extension myself, not a whole mini-vacuum, but the brush needs to be powered by electricity not just moving air.

Posts: 17884 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a new Dyson on sale for 159, regular price was 400 so for the price I paid it is a awesome vacuum cleaner. I'm very happy with it and its much better than any previous vacuum cleaner I've owned. I've heard good things about the shark but in my opinion you can't go wrong with either.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Do any offer a powered brush attachment? I'd rather use just an extension myself, not a whole mini-vacuum, but the brush needs to be powered by electricity not just moving air.

I think the "mini turbo" brush from Miele is motorized. I was unable to confirm on the website

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
I have four Dyson stick vacuums. (Two for house, upstairs and downstairs; two for business)

They are great and totally worth the money. The two I keep at work are used every single day and have never had an issue. The battery life is excellent and I know that we don't treat them gently.

They come with several attachments including powered beater brushes, wands, and crevice tools.

The only thing I wonder about is I keep mine clean by washing the filters then using my air compressor to blow out the "innards" of the vacuum. I notice I get quite a bit of dust out this way and wonder if the "dust residue" would affect suction if left uncleaned.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post