SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dyson vacuums - what are your thoughts
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dyson vacuums - what are your thoughts Login/Join 
Picture of craigcpa
posted
Greetings all. In the market for a new "all house" vacuum cleaner. Have an iRobit that works great, but doesn't do the heavy, weekly lifting. Am looking at the Dyson's and want to know if the extra cost is worth it. I have tile, wood and carpet so I need an "all round" vacuum.

What says the Forum?

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
We have a Dyson Ball Animal (or Animal 2, can't remember) for several years and it's the best vacuum I've ever used. Had an Oreck for years prior to the Dyson and the Dyson just outperforms the Oreck. Quieter too.

If I have just one gripe about the Dyson is that the model I have isn't as versatile getting under things as the Oreck (which can lay almost flat). But for overall cleaning and results I'm sold on Dyson.

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6727 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
We have a Dyson ball (yellow one), it is at least 7 years old and still going strong. My wife mentioned some black friday deals coming up on soon, keep your eyes open.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3642 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a Dyson Animal and it does the job. We have hardwood throughout with multiple area rugs, tile in the bathrooms and only a very small amount of carpet. I was able to get it on sale through an appliance store in Minnesota I think (it’s been a few years). Ended up being about $150 cheaper than anywhere else.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Erick85,

Posts: 2157 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
They suck.

Very well...

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
We had a Dyson, then bought a shark because we weren't that impressed with the dyson for the cost.

Shark works as well and costs less. Also the shark is more versatile.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GA Gator,

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poacher
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:
We had a Dyson, then bought a shark because we weren't that impressed with the shark for the cost.

Shark works as well and costs less. Also the shark is more versatile.

What he said. Had a Dyson and was not impressed, especially for the cost. Love the Shark and will buy another when I have to.

NRA Life Member

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 2242 | Location: Newnan, GA USA | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I second the shark. Have a yellow Dyson that was given to me, and I use the shark. You just can’t. beat the shark for the money and also with the shark you can quickly and easily take it all apart to clear clogs etc. without any tools
We have the shark made for pet hair and it works better than the Dyson

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a dyson canister for over 10yrs. It worked very well

about 4 years ago the tube wiring started to go out powering the beater, just the other day a main bearing decided to fail

in all it was a good unit

I replaced it with a Miele C2 canister last night, which, after one use, and initial impressions, works better than the Dyson. very compact and much quieter, only vacuum my dogs don't attack ever

only differences between the C2 and C3 models is creature comfort bells and whistles and $400+

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Happy enough with our Dyson ball-type vacuum that we also bought a Dyson stick vacuum.

Posts: 13258 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Been using a Dyson since last Christmas and just bought SHark’s top end model. I like the Shark a lot more. The Dyson is heavy and seems clunky to me. Love the Shark though

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
If you want a good vacuum, it's all about the beater brush and some heft.

Way back when, rugs were taken outside and beaten clean. With the arrival of wall to wall carpet, that process became unfeasible. Then came the invention of vacuums. They miniaturized the process so that it works on wall to wall carpet.

Dyson touts extreme air speeds. That won't mean diddly if there isn't a good beater bar to stir up the dust/dirt.

Suction will work. Suction with the added benefit of a beater will work better.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a Dyson Animal, and recently purchased a Shark Duo Clean Lift Away. The Shark is a much better vacuum. Its quieter, has better rollers, is easier to use, has lights to illuminate the floor, and flat out does a better job cleaning the floors.

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1211 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I have Shark Navigator Pro that I've been very happy with. It works well and is easy to service. It does a great job picking up hair, but if you have ppl in your house w/ long hair, that hair will get tangled in the Shark's roller-brush and need to be cleared periodically.

My friends have a Dyson Ball Multi-floor that I've used several times at their place. It also works well, but I have no idea where the extra money for it goes. Its construction feels cheap. When I use it, all the plastic flexes, and I feel as if it could crack at any moment. My Shark feels solid. I can't believe the Dyson costs over twice what my Shark does when the Dyson's overall performance is at best equal to my Shark's.

My friends' Dyson is like a full-size pistol. My Shark is like a Compact. The head on my Shark is narrower than some competitors'. It's good for maneuverability, but in large, clear areas, it will require more passes. There are probably Shark models w/ wider heads if you want that.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
We've loved ours. It's needed a new part for the brush bar twice in 10 years and each time I called the 800 # and they shipped me a part free of charge.

Great suction. No bags to mess with. Just clean the filter and take the bar out to remove womens hair from roller... (about every 2 or 3 months)

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife likes hers, I might be interested in Dyson if they mad a shop vac

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10 November, 1775
Picture of MarinetoRN
posted Hide Post
I've had a Dyson Ball Animal 2 for a few years. Hands down the best vac I've ever owned. My only real gripe is that the extension tubing coils so it has a tendency to get in its own way at times. When I need a new vac, it'll be a Dyson unless something vastly superior comes along.

SiGArm'd

P220ST X2, 1911 Revolution, P245, P229 RTTEQ/ST .40 X2, P226ST, Mosquito
Other weaponry not SIG

Glocks are ugly.
I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders.

Posts: 2471 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: August 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have had a Dyson (the purple one) for about 15 years now. It’s been smacked into so many walls and and furniture legs that some parts are broken off but still sucks. We have hardwood and linoleum throughout 1/2 the house, the rooms are carpeted, 2x dogs and 2 kids never failed. We rinse out the filter about 1x a year. When and if it finally dies i suppose well buy another

Posts: 4765 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
We received one as a gift to replace a higher end Panasonic upright.

The Dyson seems to work well. However, the cord is a pain. And it fills quickly - need to empty after every room (wall to wall carpet). The biggest flaw is that hair wraps around the beater so that we're always having to cut away the hair with scissors.

The Panasonic we had was a little heavier and may not have cleaned as closely against the wall. But overall, it worked very well (HEPA) and didn't have the annoyances we have with the Dyson. And considerably less expensive.

Between the two, I think I would buy the Panasonic. Not sure what I'll buy when this Dyson fails. The Dyson works well with annoyances but it's way overpriced for me.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We bought a Dyson Animal ball thing for about $450 around 10 years ago. We had two hoses break and and it's currently broken again. The latch that holds the carpet roller in has broken but is semi-functional. I liked it when we bought it but it's falling apart and doesn't inspire much confidence in putting more $$ at the problem. Now ours is a utility vac until it dies. It was recently replaced with a Shark Navigator UV540 from Costco and I'm very impressed with the Shark so far. And it was only $120 on a special. Seems to be very comparable in performance, maybe even better, and the build quality feels solid. Also, I think the cord on the Shark is about 9 feet longer so I can reach further without having to plug it in several times.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post