SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    anyone finding morel mushrooms yet?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

anyone finding morel mushrooms yet? Login/Join 
posted
anyone ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54611 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
Yep. My buddy Tom up near Dahlonega, Ga. is a big amateur mycologist. He even grows his own different kinds of mushrooms.
He found about two dozen morels last week .

He forgot to bring me any when we went fishing this week. Roll Eyes

Posts: 2545 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Found two today in my best place, the front yard. No mowing there anymore till I see how they do this year.
Had a pretty good crop last year, 3 meals worth! The biggest ones were near the rhubarb plants on the north side of the barn, but were scattered around throughout the front lawn, and near the spruce trees on the east side. Nice area, no ticks, no scrambling around through the brush, up and down, etc. Fairly easy to spot also! Important for an old guy, that has to watch where he goes! Near the stove and skillet too!

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Hope that you find some bendable. Morels are the most delicious mushrooms that I've ever had. Ironically, the common fairy ring mushroom is a close second. But it's a helluva lot of work to get their tough stems off without shredding their caps. And it takes a lot of those tiny caps to make a meal.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8936 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Coworker of mine found 200 in oklahoma, he went there purposely to hunt them.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
one of my cousins in Pike County Illinois claimed in a text to me last week thaqt he had "four WalMart bags full". It might be true, guy has a morel nose like a pig for truffles.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
We had an about 30,000 acre fire just down the road a piece last summer that will be thick with morels soon. I'm hoping to get out and wander around in the next few weeks.

Posts: 20087 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm in Northern Indiana

My boy and his girlfriend
Were out yesterday and picked a little over a pound

I looked but didn't find any today

RC

Posts: 1941 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Brother went yesterday and found a gallon or so. I'm heading up for Easter dinner today and will check to see what I can find.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I seem to have lost my morel compass.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34108 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, she SAYS they're morels.

Posts: 17140 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Just avoid these puppies:

Gyromitra sp. Eaten in Scandinavia and Eastern Europe and common in North America, they need to be boiled several times and the water discarded, then well cooked but still may have residual toxicity. Several varieties of false moirels, and depending on growth stage may be harder to identify. Be sure of your backstop.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doc H.,

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
when I was between 6 and 12 years old , we would go mushrooming two or three times a week,

and I never heard of any one finding a timber rattler.

last year two hunters found them , now the carry a sick or pole with them , to git'em gone

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54611 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
mowing the lower 40 today I ran across FOUR (4!!!) morels in my yard!!! Yea!!!

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I've got a friend in southern Kentucky that found about 40 of them over the weekend.

I haven't spotted a single one here in TN, but I haven't really been looking either.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post