SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why Facebook makes everybody angry and depressed
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why Facebook makes everybody angry and depressed Login/Join 
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
My Facebook feed has been customized to be mostly motorcycles, guns and guitars. I mainly use it to keep up with new products, race teams and funny memes.

That's what I do. Very few "friends," just family. And a feed customized to show my interests.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I'm not a fan of most social media. Never had a Facebook account or any other social media. People act like it's the only way they can communicate with somebody. Hogwash.

Everybody who knows me knows if they post my picture or anything about me on social media there will be hell to pay. A friend of mine posted a picture of me drinking a beer on his Book page while I was cooking at a event and made some comment about hope the food gets done before too many beers or something like that.
Because you can post instantly from your phone now somebody showed it to me about 5 minutes later. I chewed his ass loudly in no uncertain terms about posting shit about me on any social media in front of about 50 people.
We didn't speak for a couple months.
All is fine now with us but the message has gone out on my attitude in regards to social media.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8505 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I never got in to those things,got too much happy things in life and I will not be dragged down.
I also hate the texting thing.
Brought home this Christmas with my two grand daughter sitting here with their phones stuck into their faces and not partaking of and conversation.
Probably in fifty years people will forget how even speak.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
My Facebook feed has been customized to be mostly motorcycles, guns and guitars. I mainly use it to keep up with new products, race teams and funny memes.

Same here. My account is also anonymous and has no connection to my real identity or life. If Facebook ceased to exist tomorrow I would hardly notice and not remotely care.

Posts: 2466 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I have a FB account because some of my relatives requested I do, and it does allow me to stay current with them; I also belong to a couple of specialty Groups there. I virtually never just "sign on" to FB--I only go when I get an e-mail notification that someone has tried to contact me there. As a result, I have little reason to become angry or depressed. Some of the posts I'm directed to aren't things I'm interested in, and a few I might even find against my beliefs, and I just ignore those.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
I use FB extensively. It has completely replaced many of the forums I used to visit for music gear.

It does allow you to mainline stuff that can wind you up. But if you hyperconsume toxic material, it's not the source that's at fault.

Just like MSNBC isn't at fault for pissing you off because all you watch is MSNBC. That's' on you. You have a button that changes the channel.

FB has all kinds of ways to get you the content you want, and filter the content you don't want.

I actually really like the accountability that comes with having to use your real name.

Posts: 3015 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post