SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cashing Western Union MO
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cashing Western Union MO Login/Join 
posted
I recently sold a firearm to a guy and requested he send payment via postal money order, instead he sent a western union money order. Is there anyway to verify if the money orders are legit and will western union cash their own money orders? The last time someone sent me a money order the bank it was drawn on wouldn't cash it. My credit union is located in DC and I live in PA so I can't deposit it in my account plus I'd be reluctant to do so without first being able to determine if the MO isn't fraudulant. I'm strongly considering sending the money orders back to the guy and canceling the sale. What say ye?

Posts: 1618 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
https://wucare.westernunion.co...order?language=en_US

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:
I'm strongly considering sending the money orders back to the guy and canceling the sale. What say ye?

If the terms were postal MO then this is your answer. If a seller requests a certain payment and I’d like to use a different method, ask up front and explain why. If they are firm and I still want the item a trip to the post office is made. Not worth the risk, it’s been a long time since I’ve heard of western union being used for anything but scams.

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn’t realize WU was still in business. I’d just find the nearest one and cash it at their office.

Posts: 4736 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If in doubt- Take it to a Check Cashing Store. They'll verify the funds and cash the MO if authentic. There will be a fee though.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
It really depends on how much effort you want to put into verifying/cashing the MO through Western Union.

If you have a WU close by, and they will cash it. Take it and get cash.

If that is a hassle, or they will not cash it, I would send it back to the guy and tell him that he failed the terms of the deal.

But, I would never deposit something like a WUMO and chance a it bouncing after you released your property.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
I would just deposit it in my bank account and wait till it clears before I ship the firearm. The buyer may not like the extra wait but that would be faster than anything else you could do at this point.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2057 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used western union fairly often to buy things while I was living overseas.

Usually, you just go to a western union place, give them your ID and they will cash it for you right there.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
"I'm strongly considering sending the money orders back to the guy and canceling the sale. What say ye?"

I've done that before in the same circumstances you describe. And I would do it again.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Western Union has desks at the Walmarts and Krogers down here, I believe.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Western Union has desks at the Walmarts and

This. Pretty sure any Wal-Mart will cash it for about $3.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post