SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Early Toyota 3.0 V6 engine
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Early Toyota 3.0 V6 engine Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
Happy Easter all.

I am wondering about this engine. I know the 20R and 22R and 22RE 4 bangers where some great engines. While the 3.0 V6 had some problems. Guessing mostly head gaskets. But would like to hear from our mechanics what their experience is with the earlier 3.0 V6 engines from Toyota is.

I am looking at a late eighties 4x4 pickup with a lower mileage 3.0 in it.
Thanks

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19173 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been told by multiple people to avoid that motor. Stick with the years after the 3.4 was introduced or stick with the 4cyl

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
The 3.0 was anemic compared to the 3.4, and has only slightly more ponies than the 2.7 4 cyl. and almost no more torque than same. The head gasket issue was real enough that Toyota offered free warranty fix, or paid for repairs from the issue up to 100,000 miles.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15571 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The head gasket issue was caused by Toyota going from a asbestos based gasket to a non-asbestos base. I had a 90 truck with one, when new it we so quiet at idle that more than once I tried starting it while it was running. Had the first head gaskets replaced around 92000 miles, I paid for them, when the recall came Toyota reimbursed me what I paid, then around 126000 miles Toyota sent me a letter, they had improved them and wanted my truck to replace them again. It was about 15 years old by then. Friend of mine is a parts manager for a Toyota dealer, he kept new short blocks on hand as they often replaced them if the headgasket leakage damaged the block. I currently have a 1988 Truck with the V6. The power of a 4 the mileage of a V8, LOL.

Posts: 159 | Registered: December 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Don't just run away. Run away screaming. You'd be better off with the 2.7 3rze or the 3.4 5vze. The 3.0 is weak and thirsty.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29694 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If that is the same engine that was on the early 90's Camry, then I have some experience with it. It was rated at 190HP which was great for the time. I thought it was a great engine. I never had any problems with it and we finally got rid of it after having 250K miles on it. We never had any major problems with it. I hope this helps. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3069 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
If that is the same engine that was on the early 90's Camry ...

It isn't, the major difference being that it is a SOHC, two-valve-per-cylinder design.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Posts: 27944 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
I had the 3.0 in my '89 Toyota 4x4 truck, paired with a 5-speed transmission.

Toyota at some point replaced the head gaskets.

I had a valve spring break shortly after the factory warranty ran out, so the repair cost was on me.

The 3.0 has a narrow power band and not much power. Not much torque.

But mine ran very smooth and was quite reliable.
The truck had almost 280K miles on it when I traded it in. Still had the original engine and transmission. Still drove great.

My current Toyota truck has the 3.4 with automatic transmission.
The 3.4 engine is better than the 3.0 in every possible way.

I personally would not buy another Toyota truck with the 3.0.

Posts: 1781 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, some good info. In Gen 2 Toyota pickups and 4Runners I think there were just two choices. A 22 4 banger or the 3.0 V6.

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I'm currently rocking a 2000 Camry with the 3.0 V6. As everyone has said, it's a pretty unremarkable power plant. Not a lot of torque for a V6, while being just as thirsty. Very boring drive. It is quiet.

No problems with head gaskets yet, but then it's only got 70K miles on it (my mom used to own it).

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16337 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm currently rocking a 2000 Camry with the 3.0 V6.

Different engine, the 1MZ-FE, a DOHC, four-valve-per-cylinder design. The engine in the OP is the 3VZ-E.

quote:
No problems with head gaskets yet ...

The head gaskets are fine, but you do have to watch for oil sludging/gelling on this one.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Posts: 27944 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Good info as per usual.
It would serve my purpose's fine. I will give it some more thought. A 22 RE would be better I know. It is in nice shape though.