SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bisleyblackhawk AWOL from the forum for over a month...here’s why
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bisleyblackhawk AWOL from the forum for over a month...here’s why Login/Join 
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted
October has been a hell of a ride Frown. It started October 6 right after I woke up and was exiting the bathroom when I tripped and took a big fall...striking the top of my head on the corner of a chest of drawers resulting in my gashing my head and bleeding profusely. After I kinda got my senses back I knew I was loosing a lot of blood fast and needed help. I could not find my phone and then remembered it was next to my recliner on charge. I couldn’t see very well, I had so much blood in my eyes...but I was able to call 911 and stay on the line and actually make it to the front door to unlock it so the EMTs could get to me. The last thing I remember was the EMT saying “oh my God...get some quick clot on this” as and being placed on a gurney. I found out later that I had lost so much blood that I went into cardiac arrest and had to be revived on my front porch...l did it again on the Lifeforce helicopter on the flight to Erlanger hospital in Chattanooga. I was given 4 units of blood in route and 2 units of platelets when I got to the the ER where I stabilized.
I then went into ICU where I spent two weeks and had to have a tracheostomy due to neck swelling and have a feeding tube installed (in my nose rather than directly into my stomach)...these were both frightening and uncomfortable (especially the tracheostomy).

After I was released from ICU I spent three weeks in Encompass rehab to make sure I could eat and swallow real food to have the feeding tube removed as well as the tracheostomy.

I am glad to say I have been released back into the wild and I am home...Thank God! I have home health coming to my house for PT and wellness checks during the week and they say I’m doing good with what I’ve been through...I’ve got good neighbors and a church family that are keeping me fed and my yard mowed Smile

I just wrote a check to ServePro for $5600 forthe cleanup...but I came home to a clean blood free home (they spent over 6 hours removing the biohazards including the bedroom carpet and did a great job)

After the stroke back in April, I guess I dodged another bullet. I thank God in Heaven that I’m
still here!

Maybe in the next couple of weeks I can finally head to the range to shoot the Ruger American Ranch .556 rifle I picked up two days before I did the dive into the furniture.

Please keep this (apparently) tough old bird in your thoughts and prayers to keep getting better Razz

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I'm really sorry to hear this, but I'm glad you are still here to tell the story!

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Good Lord, you have been through hell!
Thank God your on the up side, now!

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8318 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Damn. Sorry to hear all this but glad you're on the mend.

I assume you're an empty nester living alone. I try to keep my cellphone with me 24/7 in case I have emergency needs. My neighbor has a key to the house and knows if the mail she gets for me isn't taken inside to perform a welfare check.

I refused to consider selling my house and moving into some senior community. Instead I had a pair of stair lifts installed 5 years ago. I value the comfort and spaciousness of my old abode. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I am glad you are still here and I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers fro a full recovery.

We still expect a range report. Smile

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear this. Welcome back

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crashcrew
posted Hide Post
So glad to hear you’re on the mend.
You should check with your homeowners insurance
provider, as many will cover the costs incurred
with bio hazard type clean-up.

Posts: 295 | Location: Central Alabama | Registered: February 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Congrats on being on the right side of the grass! Sounds like you have had quite a tough spell.

Get well.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crashcrew:
So glad to hear you’re on the mend.
You should check with your homeowners insurance
provider, as many will cover the costs incurred
with bio hazard type clean-up.

I will do this first thing in the morning before I send the check to ServePro...thank you for the advice Smile

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
Wow. Sounds like your CUT fits you. Glad your doing good and on the way to a full recovery. Be careful out there.

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1299 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
Recup fasy and well wishes!

Posts: 5018 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Wow! Tough beans! Glad you survived all that.

I carry my flip phone in the back pocket of my Wranglers after I fell a couple of times (no injuries) and had trouble getting back up. I, too, live alone (with 6 cats, who are no help), but I do have a handyman who has a key and comes to the house several times a week to do things for me. His contact numbers are in my flip phone.

Stay in there and do what the docs tell you to. We old geezers are tough but fragile.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get well very soon! I've been in a similar situation and I couldn't find my phone. Pretty much sucked. I'm glad to hear this worked out for the better Bisley!

Posts: 7523 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Holy crap!! Hope you recover quickly.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dang that’s some scary stuff right there. It’s amazing how quickly something like that can go bad.

Great to have you back!!

Posts: 3874 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Wow! You really been through it!!

Sorry to of the accident and its results, but really glad you are back here with us!!!!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
Good to read all is well!
Life is never the same ... you're never alone for long.

CT scans, MRI's, neurologist ... all good too?

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Day-um, that was a bit >< close. Glad you survived it and are on the mend.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
Yikes! Glad you are on the mend.

So...how did the furniture make out? Did you break it or did it win completely?

I tripped over a baby fence and went head first into an interior door with our first about 17 years ago. Hurt my noggin pretty good but put a big dent in the door.

So glad you are okay. Sounds like a hell of a month.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Welcome Back!!!

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post