SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    HOWTO: add a horizontal line that isn't too long or too short, but is JUST right *works over profile signatures*
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HOWTO: add a horizontal line that isn't too long or too short, but is JUST right *works over profile signatures* Login/Join 
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted
We've all seen a post here or there where someone's signature line or line added to the post for separation is too long.

If you'd like to have a line that's just the right size, follow these directions:
1. You will need a pair of brackets [ ]
2. You add hr between the pair of brackets (for the curious, HR stands for horzontal rule)
3. Combine one and two without spaces between brackets and letters [ hr ]
4. This also works in signature lines, just start signature with above

When step one and two are combined, you should get this result (faint line sized right).

Smile

Thanks.

edited to modify subject per request

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ffips,

Posts: 3572 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Dayum!

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Can you add "over your profile signature" to the subject line? There are a few people that really need to do this. I've posted about it to them many times in threads but they ignore it...

there are few things that bring me to tears....(LOL)

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12407 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Not just the width of the separation line, but in many cases, no sep line at all. It makes it difficult to tell the signature from the actual post. This can be awkward in, for example, eulogy/memorial threads. It looks bad to have your signature say something like "You have no idea how little I care" right after offering condolences for the death of a human or animal loved one. It would be better to uncheck the signature box in the reply window and leave sigs out altogether in such threads.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
amazing, thanx!

Still waters run deep, so careful I don't drown you.

Posts: 146 | Location: Grantville, Ga | Registered: June 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agreed, there’s a few people who have

~~~~~~~~~~~~

———————————-

============

And it’s beyond annoying.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Jjones, please do this. Your signature makes it extremely hard to read on my phone.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
Can you add "over your profile signature" to the subject line?
...snip...

Done within the constraints of title length. Smile

quote:
Originally posted by PaPaP226:
Thanks for posting this.

You're most welcome. Smile

quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Jjones, please do this.
...snip...

Now we all have a thread to point to. Big Grin
Sadly, guidelines aren't always adhered to.

quote:
Originally posted by vinnybass:
Thank you for this.

You're most welcome. Smile

Posts: 3572 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Thank you for this.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Maybe the boss could make this thread a "sticky" for a week or so?? Give people a chance to learn something?

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You know you can hide signatures completely, right?

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snidera:

But this includes avatars also.
Avatars help readers .... Large sigs do not.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
BTW, put the “\[hr\]” immediately in front of your tag line. No need to have a carriage return between the “\[hr\]” and tag line. Save a bit of vertical space in your post.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
Thank you!

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3619 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Set that up years ago. Smile

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Perfection is impossible,
Trying is not…
posted Hide Post
Thanks for doing this...

"Isn't it weird that in AMERICA, our flag & our culture offend so many people - but our benefits do not"

Posts: 516 | Location: OKC | Registered: October 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snidera:

I intended this for more than just signatures. Sometimes copied articles include lines that do not follow this format.

My signature isn't shown in the posts above. Wink

Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Groovy

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Please those with giant sig lines put inHR code. There are a number of people who I read on to the sig line and think, wow what a non-sequitur then it dawns on me, but by that point I've half forgot what preceded it and need to reread it.

Chellim1, you are one of the ones I always read into the sig when you post.

I called you and jjones out specifically because I enjoy reading your posts, not in mean spirits.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MattW:
Agreed, there’s a few people who have

~~~~~~~~~~~~

———————————-

============

And it’s beyond annoying.
really frustrating on a smart phone since if they post the entire page is zoomed out for their strings of symbols.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post