SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Had surgery Thursday AM... still can’t sleep
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Had surgery Thursday AM... still can’t sleep Login/Join 
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted
So I’m having a trial for for something called a spinal cord stimulator, they partially implanted it Thursday at 7am. I was at the hospital at 5am. The device is for chronic back pain in my case from an old injury. Last night I got maybe 3hrs of sleep. Was awake damn nearly all night. Tonight’s not looking much better. Slept from 10’ish until 1am.. about 30 min ago. I read this can happen with the device, but it’s not like an official side affect. Anyway... just venting. I suspect I’m the only member here in this situation. Frown I’m so tired.. but can’t sleep.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will get by
Picture of Rustyblade
posted Hide Post
Good luck to you with the adjustment period.
I was ~induced to have that procedure for ongoing neuropathy of my feet,
which is traveling up my calves. Seven years ago I had to trade my stick shift for an auto; lost the feel of the clutch...
In 2018 I did a minimally invasive test. I was not deemed a 'good' candidate.

I wish you the best, recovery & relief. Please let us know.
Meanwhile, for you its back to counting Sigs. Good middle of the night. Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rustyblade,

Do not necessarily attribute someone's nasty or inappropriate actions as intended when it may be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

Posts: 1291 | Location: Delray Beach | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Prayers for Comfort Sent

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I appreciate the sentiments. I actually dozed off for a couple of hours! Awake again sadly. The device is helping with my chronic pain, which is a miracle... just don’t understand why I’m not crashing from tiredness. I guess it’ll catch up to me eventually.

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear the implant is helping with the pain.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1925 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Hope it helps you out!

I didn't sleep five minutes yesterday, and only 3-4 hours Thursday night. In my case stress and pain. So tired right now.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope you can find the right position to sleep in, sleep deprivation is awful. I had shoulder surgery on Tuesday and I'm sleeping in a recliner to minimize movement. I was up every few hours due to discomfort/pain. It sucks but hopefully it's temporary for both of us.

Posts: 2014 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Well I ended up passing out off and on throughout the night. Better than the first night so I guess I’ll take it. I’ll take insomnia over the chronic pain any day! Thanks

posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^
Document all the details with your physician. Jot down all your thoughts. Not being able to fall asleep is a COMPLEX problem, which is not easily solved. In particular write down everything that comes to mind that is keeping you awake.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Keep us posted on your progress. My wife is considering the same procedure but is a little apprehensive about it. Sending well wishes your way dry-fly.

Posts: 7523 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the advice, I appreciate it.
Bytes.. I’ve had trials for SCS in the past, years ago. Even had one implanted. They never worked well. I had my arm twisted assuring me the technology had improved and that I should give it another try. This one has been on the money so far! It’s made by Boston Scientific. I could actually tell the day of the surgery that my “chronic” pain was better. It’s been two days and still going well. I. Keeping my fingers crossed!

quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
Keep us posted on your progress. My wife is considering the same procedure but is a little apprehensive about it. Sending well wishes your way dry-fly.