SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is titanium bullet proof? Let's find out.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is titanium bullet proof? Let's find out. Login/Join 
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted
Video from Demolition Ranch.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
10mm would left nothing to examine...

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
at least he didn't hold it up to his chest and have his GF fire a gun at it (*and him*)

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I've researched the subject personally and professionally in engineering journals. He was on the right track with the last two calibers.

The other thing that is important is your test stand mimicking real life. A log that rolls away is dissipating energy, and if he had put the titanium plate in a purpose built stand the .50 BMG AP likely would've passed through.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
So, this is suggesting that a 5mm+ plate is bulletproof proof up to M855?

Vs standard plate, lighter but much much more expensive? Are Ti plates even made?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
I've researched the subject personally and professionally in engineering journals. He was on the right track with the last two calibers.

The other thing that is important is your test stand mimicking real life. A log that rolls away is dissipating energy, and if he had put the titanium plate in a purpose built stand the .50 BMG AP likely would've passed through.
Good point.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
How much does titanium cost per pound? How heavy is it? SG greater than 1 because it sunk.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
So, this is suggesting that a 5mm+ plate is bulletproof proof up to M855?

Vs standard plate, lighter but much much more expensive? Are Ti plates even made?

Looks like they do make them. Surprise to me. Googled titanium armor.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
anyone else expecting a ricochet to kill him from that distance?

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
anyone else expecting a ricochet to kill him from that distance?

Kill?

Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
And tie is brittle. Notice we don't use it as a major component of tank armor.

I have seen lots of tie shot up at APG. On a personal scale maybe. On a vehicle protective scale it's a small piece of the pie. Much better things out there.

I'd still choose a good Sapi over tie.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Doesn't the Warthog use a titanium bathtub to protect the pilot?

"The A-10's cockpit and portions of its flight control system are protected by 1,200 pounds of titanium aircraft armor, called the "bathtub." The bathtub can withstand direct hits from armor-piercing projectiles up 23 mm"
A-10

It seems to work, if it's thick enough.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
The 'hog, armor is 1/2 to 1 and a half inches thick, and was tested to deal with 57mm HEI.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
The 'hog, armor is 1/2 to 1 and a half inches thick, and was tested to deal with 57mm HEI.
I bet y'all measured it to. Somebody sent the guy in the video a piece of titanium armor and he can't even be bothered to measure it, but has plenty of time to pontificate on video how thick it might be

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I bet y'all measured it to. Somebody sent the guy in the video a piece of titanium armor and he can't even be bothered to measure it, but has plenty of time to pontificate on video how thick it might be
He probably doesn't carry a 10ft rule as I do (right back pocket of my Wranglers®).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Plus we don't know if the titanium was heat treated or not and to what specs.

I used to buy titanium a long time ago. Ti-6Al-4V. To function as leaf springs.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post