SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    SpaceX Is Making it Look Easy
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SpaceX Is Making it Look Easy Login/Join 
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
^^^^
Agreed. There was plenty of cheering for the Cape Launch / Land a couple days before. Lots of SpaceXers went to watch in Vandenburg.

Did you see the Droneship pitching in the ocean on the west coast landing? That was legit, had to be 5+ foot seas.

I really enjoyed seeing the CRS-11 launch and landing back at the Cape last month. It was straight out of SciFi. And there were tons of people stopped by the road to watch. Big Grin

Just wait until a Crew Dragon lands on Draco Thruster power when returning from space. That'll be AWESOME (it's not the starting recovery plan, it'll start landing via parachutes initially).

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Yet another successful Launch and 1st stage landing as part of the latest Dragon Commercial Resupply Services 12 to the International Space Station.

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
It'd be interesting if they showed the Dragons returning home.

Love that shot right around 26:15 where the Falcon separates and fires the boostback engine in view of the second stage camera.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
The thing still climbing and moving 1500 MPH when the winglets deployed was the first really cool thing....

103 miles above Earth....

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12416 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SpaceX does it again - with a flight proven 1st stage (first launched on CRS-11 in June fo this year) and flight proven Dragon spacecraft (first launched on CRS-6 in April 2015).

I know all the naysayers will say that can't stick to schedule, etc.

However I recall the last two ULA launches getting kicked a couple of days each for random mechanical issues as well...

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I am thrilled to see the continued successes.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Awesome.

The footage is as interesting as the event itself.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I am thrilled to see the continued successes.
Yup, I stream every launch I can, with fingers crossed. Big Grin We went to CRS-11 this summer which was the first time they had reused a Dragon - it was quite a sight to see. Now we want to go back for a night launch sometime and of course a Falcon Heavy launch after they get some success under it.

quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:

The footage is as interesting as the event itself.

SpaceX definitely does it right when it comes to media relations and connecting people to the launches with real time, high quality video.

It sucks when you watch another company or countries launches, all you see is the rocket fly away then a cut to some computer animation... Frown

Picture of AzMikeCFD102
posted Hide Post
I wonder if the "little rocket man" in North Korea has seen this yet and if he is a bit jealous of the USA.....

Incredible achievement.

MAGA

NRA
Gun Owners of America

Posts: 388 | Location: Tucson, Az | Registered: August 17, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

Well, SpaceX has a ways to go, to impress Little Kim.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jandersd
posted Hide Post
That was incredible - the announcer was almost nonchalant about the whole thing.

---
Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

Posts: 1123 | Location: Cartersville, GA | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Way to go SpaceX, all 10s on that routine.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
How amazing is that?

Just shows what can be done if you get the goobermint out of the equation and give American business know-how it's head.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
It was beautiful, and the rumble went on for a while.

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I don't know man I
just got here myself
Picture of mrw
posted Hide Post
I am anxiously awaiting the Falcon Heavy going up this month? 5 million pound thrust three Falcon nine boosters strapped togheter, 27 Merlin engines running at once! Three of the Falcons coming down to land together. That will be a sight to see.

mrw

Hand Made Custom Knives
www.sandownforge.com

Posts: 1737 | Location: Gulf Coast Florida | Registered: June 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I gotta admit, that's pretty dang awesome.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrw:
I am anxiously awaiting the Falcon Heavy going up this month? 5 million pound thrust three Falcon nine boosters strapped togheter, 27 Merlin engines running at once! Three of the Falcons coming down to land together. That will be a sight to see.
Yesssir it will be. Can't wait. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Last SpaceX launch of the year from Vandenberg AFB and made it to EPO - in about 40 minutes, after conducting a second burn, it will start deploying 10 Iridium Satellites.

Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
My niece’s husband is an engineer for SpaceX her dad, my oldest brother, is a PhD physicist for NASA. Actual rocket scientists in my family.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
awesome launch

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post