SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    SpaceX Is Making it Look Easy
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SpaceX Is Making it Look Easy Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted
some awesome photography on this landing event...

https://www.theverge.com/2017/...lcon-9-fall-to-earth

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amazing.

Posts: 7017 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
That was incredible!

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7070 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I just started watching it. I kinda feel for John. I really like watching whenever he's on camera but he's usually talking about technical aspects of the rocket through conversations with his cohosts. It's obvious he's not used to carrying the entire narrative alone.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Nothing but concrete. Well done.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31430 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
they would also spend a lot more time talking about the payload and having another 8 or so minutes of spacecraft video but since this was an NRO payload they halted the video at stage 1 separation - didn't even show the fairing release which they usually do

a hell of a day Big Grin

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Bullseye!

I'm speechless.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Very cool camera angles. Watching the stage separation from a ground station was pretty badass.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I was all meh... until the damn thing nailed the landing. Eek

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8847 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
I was all meh... until the damn thing nailed the landing. Eek

Same here, I expected a chute or something, not the damn thing landing on a pad without cratering.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7070 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
Absolutely AMAZING!!!!

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4929 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Landed on the ten ring.

Posts: 785 | Location: Eastern Ma. | Registered: November 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Thank you for posting that - I missed getting out on the roof today to watch but with clouds probably would not have been able to see.

Very cool perspective - that is more like a dart with the velocity it carries even after the initial descent burn, then uses air density to slow down prior to landing burn. Love the direct shot as it came in to Kennedy.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
It was like the old Flash Gorden ships landing.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3475 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I wonder what the rocket surgeons of other countries feel when they watch this?

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
We were down here for the launch. It was scrubbed on the first launch due to a no go status on countdown. I'm looking at the Kennedy Space Center now from our cruise ship. It was an awesome opportunity to watch the launch.

Posts: 6009 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
That has to hurt little kim's feelings something bad. He can't even get his up!

What an accomplishment.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PR64:
It was like the old Flash Gorden ships landing.

Or Tom Corbett — Space Cadet. Saturday morning TV show, long ago.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8935 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
My brother is a large part of this. I can't tell you how very proud I am of him!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13951 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I don't know man I
just got here myself
Picture of mrw
posted Hide Post
Awesome, just awesome. I did a little work with SpaceX on a project. They use some of the company I work for equipment to put coatings in the Merlin engines. Quite a facility with stuff all packed in everywhere. Boosters being built over there, merlins assebled across the isle, dragons built in the next bay over. Really surreal! They sure do manage to pull it off. Can wait for the Falcon heavy to go up later this year.

mrw

Hand Made Custom Knives
www.sandownforge.com

Posts: 1737 | Location: Gulf Coast Florida | Registered: June 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post