SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Chromebit, Chromebox and Intel Compute Stick....opinions?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chromebit, Chromebox and Intel Compute Stick....opinions? Login/Join 
Picture of rangeme101
posted
I'm still looking for a couple of computers for elementary age kids for school work only. They have tablets for video and games. Also a shared TV for Netflix and dvd movies.

Need is a simple computer to log onto their school system for class/homework - paper and test grades. Web browsing for research. These will be strictly for school work no play time, that's what the tablets and TV are for. They will be out in the open so mom and dad can monitor them while they work. Looking for a small footprint. I like the compactness of the Chromebit. No bulky desktop to sit on top of desk taking up space or on the floor getting kicked, feet rested on or dusty and no jungle of wires. No need for DVD drive. Could do a wireless printer if that becomes necessary.

Is the Chromestick enough "computer" for a couple of years. Once the oldest gets to middle school or high school and the "need" for a more powerful tablet or desktop then I can readdress then, but for now I just wanting simplicity.

I have been looking at refurbished HP, Dell and IBM desktops. Also some Chromebooks. The desktops seem to be several years old and worried about them being "out of date" before even getting started. And the Chromebooks all seem to be around 11-12" screens. I want them to have a 20-24" monitor while doing school work. And a laptop or chromebook will want to become portable and these are not going to be portable, that's what the tablets are for.

My research shows the Chromebit doing what I feel they need. Is there better for the money as listed below? For those with experience what do you say? Thanks.

Chromestick - $85
Keyboard with built in mouse pad -$25
Monitor - $75-125

Total = $235.00 per kid

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1299 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
or you could get a couple of chromebooks

like this

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/a...5524.p?skuId=5715524

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
I said those are not my favorite since they can be mobile. Would like to know if the “stick” performs like a book or box or desktop?

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1299 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rangeme101:
I said those are not my favorite since they can be mobile. Would like to know if the “stick” performs like a book or box or desktop?

If they have to use any school-provided websites, I'd make sure they work with Chrome before buying a chrome-anything. If it's like anything else, 1 thing will only work with IE, another only firefox, etc.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post