SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So I'm buying a lathe and now I have some FFL questions...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So I'm buying a lathe and now I have some FFL questions... Login/Join 
Picture of policetruck
posted
Ok a quick little back story, I'm a full time machinist and have made a form 1 suppressor for my 300 blackout. It has been a long term goal of mine to start a small time business of custom gunsmith machine work and semi-custom suppressor packages.

I'm still a ways off from starting the business and lisence process and am looking for any advice anyone with an FFL may be willing to give me. I will be grateful for business advice too but it's mainly the .gov/atf side I need to learn about.

I've also seen lots of online classes or services to apply for an FFL, are any of these worth any thing? I also understand that there is an ATF interview in order to get an 07/02 FFL, anything I should know about that?

Anyway some pics for fun of my lathe and my can...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: policetruck,

www.landwarfare.net
Veteran owned 07 FFL/ 02 SOT
LandWarfareNow@gmail.com
Instagram @land.warfare

Posts: 1193 | Location: Va | Registered: July 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
No idea about where you are, but the only difficult part about getting an FFL in Texas (DFW anyway) was possible zoning restrictions. If the area where you are has issues with a business being there, you could have a hard time. The FFL123 website makes it so easy simply because the forms are all in a format that’s ready to fill and file. It’s a process and it’s not quick, 3-6 months to get up and running for me...but nothing that can’t be done.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
I have no advice to offer, just wanted to say good luck. The suppressor you made looks good.

Posts: 1516 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
I don't know any Virginia laws/statutes, but in Texas one needs to know city/county zoning and home owner's association restrictions. For a home FFL, again in Texas, you may not 'alter the flavor' of a neighborhood. You may not monopolize street parking slots. You may not have a separate exterior entrance to your business. You may not post or display any signs for your business. For a home gunsmith FFL, you must have an EPA approved garbage/waste removal service. Out city also requires the service of an approved alarm company.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2191 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
The two biggest barriers to getting an FFL are zoning and home owners associations. If you are clear there it helps to have a website and business cards plus an idea of how much you intend to make. The ATF wants to ensure you are there as a business and not a hobby.
Check out ITAR also, I cannot remember if it has changed but it’s over $2000 a year if you have to pay it. You didn’t mention if you were Home based but some home owners insurance companies will not cover Home based businesses. Home based guys have had their insurance dropped when their company found out they had a business. If you are manufacturing you need to have good insurance and I’d see an attorney experienced with the firearms industry to see how to protect yourself when you get sued. You also should see a CPA to get advice on the best business structure.
Get all the ATF Regs and study them, they are confusing but you will need to know them inside and out to prevent problems during the ATF audits. Also consider how you will deal with mistakes on a customers rifle. What happens when you mess up the barrel on a $4000 Rifle?
I’ve had an FFL for about 8 years now and I’d suggest sticking to doing work for yourself and not going into business. It’s not as great as it sounds and the chances of you being able to compete with large manufacturers of cans is remote. Not trying to discourage you just giving you some advice on real issues.

Posts: 4105 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MG34_Dan:
I don't know any Virginia laws/statutes, but in Texas one needs to know city/county zoning and home owner's association restrictions. For a home FFL, again in Texas, you may not 'alter the flavor' of a neighborhood. You may not monopolize street parking slots. You may not have a separate exterior entrance to your business. You may not post or display any signs for your business. For a home gunsmith FFL, you must have an EPA approved garbage/waste removal service. Out city also requires the service of an approved alarm company.

Parking and entry/exits must be an Austin issue, nobody cares about that here. If it’s a state requirement then I suppose Austin is more picky since they lean liberal and get prissy about guns.

Posts: 4105 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
currently a Va based 01/SOT
used to be a 07/SOT,

shop in a neighborhood, mostly internet based,

shoot me an email (in profile) with any questions , I'll be happy to answer what I can

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BDA220
posted Hide Post
Who left the chuck adapter on the ways?

"Strange days have found us, strange days have tracked us down." JM

Posts: 807 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
quote:
Originally posted by MG34_Dan:

Parking and entry/exits must be an Austin issue, nobody cares about that here. If it’s a state requirement then I suppose Austin is more picky since they lean liberal and get prissy about guns.

I believe it may have been a Travis County thing.

During one of my previous BATFE compliance inspections, my BATFE examiner wanted me to get a letter from the city, on city letterhead, stating that I was in full compliance with city, county, and state requirements. I got 'er done and my examiner was one happy dude.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2191 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of policetruck
posted Hide Post
Mrmax, I most definitely will not be competing with the big boys. My goal is to fill a perceived gap in a large hunting/target shooting community for people who may not want to drop a grand on a mass produced can or might want something custom suited to a particular weapon. I could easily build either type. Pretty much all I do in my free time is draw up new cans and systems on CAD.

Lyman, thanks I will take you up on that offer.

www.landwarfare.net
LandWarfareNow@gmail.com
Instagram @land.warfare

Posts: 1193 | Location: Va | Registered: July 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
As a manufacturer, I would think you’ll need a business entity more like a partnership or LLC, or at least that seems to be the norm. You may want to spend a bit of money with legal council. Thatkks not to say that entity isn’t FFL.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of policetruck
posted Hide Post
Yeah a friend at work has a lucrative auto repair business and he was telling me about LLC's

www.landwarfare.net
LandWarfareNow@gmail.com
Instagram @land.warfare

Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
Im a home based FFL. When I went through the process 6 years ago they focused on zoning and possible HOA.

It wont be possible to get an 07 in a residential area. Not sure why you need an 02 license. Thats for pawn brokers.

I did the ffl123 thing when I got mine. Made it simple and I didnt have to worry about doing something wrong.

Posts: 7395 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
policetruck:

You have email from me.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31435 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Very cool.

Good luck with that.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can speak to homeowner's insurance as I am a claims adjuster and the policies are almost all the same. (which isn't to say you shouldn't read yours and call an agent with any Q's to be sure).

As far as your actual home goes, a property claim won't be denied because you are running a business out of it. The policy will have very low sub-limits on "business property" typically, $500, but could go up to $5k.

If the business is in a separate structure like a detached garage or shop, the policy will probably deny any coverage for the structure (the building and anything inside), even if the damage was to your personal stuff and not business related. There is typically a business use exclusion for separate structures in your homeowner's policy.

Of course, there is no liability coverage at all for any business related issues.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by policetruck:
Mrmax, I most definitely will not be competing with the big boys. My goal is to fill a perceived gap in a large hunting/target shooting community for people who may not want to drop a grand on a mass produced can or might want something custom suited to a particular weapon. I could easily build either type. Pretty much all I do in my free time is draw up new cans and systems on CAD.

Lyman, thanks I will take you up on that offer.

I may tied up a bit, but will reply when I get the chance

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post