SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    West Nile - it’s in my yard
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

West Nile - it’s in my yard Login/Join 
Stuck on
himself
posted
So I got a county public health advisory email at work today warning that West Nile was found in a neighborhood in the area of an intersection I can literally see from my kitchen window. Swell. I get swarmed every time I go tend to my veggie garden, which is going gangbuster this year by the way.

Tactical nukes are probably not feasible so I was looking at some electronic traps on Amazon. Do those things actually work? I’m going to stop by Lowe’s later today and pick up some stuff, gonna spray the hell out of my yard this weekend.

Posts: 4177 | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
This stuff works for short periods. I use it if I'm going to be sitting on patio for a while or have company. It only works for an hour or so, but it works extremely good for that hour. Maybe spray around perimeter of garden prior to picking, just don't get it on your veggies.

Also around here they have half a dozen companies that spray your yard weekly or prior to cookouts/parties. Mosquito squad is one of them.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
I got some https://spartanmosquito.com
To try out.
I do have fewer mosquitos buzzing me than last year. However, Did the traps do it ? Idk.
Google has a bunch of diy traps.
Thermacells are great when the breeze doesn't carry the stuff away.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
We got the skeeters bad this year in NoVA too, must be all the wet weather. They laugh at the 25% DEET stuff. I am also looking at "bug zappers" for the patio. The "good ones" appear to be outrageously expensive, I will probably try out a few cheapies before throwing them away and buying a real one (which won't work well either). But, spending the money is practically guaranteed to start an extended dry spell!

Posts: 6398 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Torch the neighborhood and move on.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
I had a Mosquito Magnet and that seemed to work, but not as effective as I was hoping for - it would burn through 20 pounds of propane in about 3 to 4 weeks. It seemed a little better when my neighbor ran his too. We have a drainage pond just outside our back yard that has standing water in it all year.

quote:
Originally posted by Haveme1or2:
To try out.
I do have fewer mosquitos buzzing me than last year. However, Did the traps do it ? Idk.

I tried those Spartan mosquito traps this year as well. I'm really on the fence about them - leaning towards that they're not very effective. Earlier in the season I saw very few mosquitos, but I don't think anywhere in town had a bad early season this year. Now the little buggers are out in full force at dusk.

Posts: 1799 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
This stuff works for short periods. I use it if I'm going to be sitting on patio for a while or have company. It only works for an hour or so, but it works extremely good for that hour. Maybe spray around perimeter of garden prior to picking, just don't get it on your veggies.

Also around here they have half a dozen companies that spray your yard weekly or prior to cookouts/parties. Mosquito squad is one of them.

We have terrible Asian tiger mosquitoes and Cutter has given us back selected areas of our yard. It will last a week or more and at about $7 at Walmart, a bargain.

The applicator is deficient, it won't dispense the whole bottle. The Ortho Dial N Spray works great, much better pickup design --

https://www.amazon.com/Ortho-S...ho+sprayer+weed+dial

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by asonie:
So I got a county public health advisory email at work today warning that West Nile was found in a neighborhood in the area of an intersection I can literally see from my kitchen window. Swell. I get swarmed every time I go tend to my veggie garden, which is going gangbuster this year by the way.

Tactical nukes are probably not feasible so I was looking at some electronic traps on Amazon. Do those things actually work? I’m going to stop by Lowe’s later today and pick up some stuff, gonna spray the hell out of my yard this weekend.

I saw an advisory too. Are you in Cache Valley?

Posts: 12434 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I could lease you 1/2 of my eastern brown furry bat colony. Big Grin

I put up 5 bat houses at the correct heights and directions - and they still insist in roosting in my soffits and behind shutters !

But - I have virtually no Mosquitos in the early and late evening hours.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
I could lease you 1/2 of my eastern brown furry bat colony. Big Grin

I put up 5 bat houses at the correct heights and directions - and they still insist in roosting in my soffits and behind shutters !

But - I have virtually no Mosquito's in the early and late evening hours.

I have no bat houses (should put some up), but we have a bunch of bats flying around in the evenings and we have not had a mosquito issue. A friend down the road a couple of miles, have no bats around and they get torn up by mosquito's. There might be something to having bats around.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6474 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Haveme1or2:
To try out.

I put 4 of these on my property and they didn't do a thing

Granted I live in a swamp, surrounded by water, so the vampire population is significantly higher than most

what I have found to actually work is the mega-catch with CO2. I bit the bullet and purchased one in May, I mentally prepared myself if it was just a VERY expensive experiment. To my pleasure I am able to sit outside with a minimal swarm attacking me. Prior to its purchase I was bathing in DEET daily

it also works with midges, no-see-ums, deer flies, sand flies, just about anything flying (except bees) that will attack you in the night

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6218 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Eliminate all standing water, stay inside at dusk use DEET. Traps are generally worthless.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Probably got some damn ebola in there, too.

Maybe some Hanta virus and SARS for good measure.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
There is no legitimate reason for mosquitoes to exist, other than bat food.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
Like stated, bats and swallows are your friends. Between the two they decimate the skeeters. One day shift and one night shift.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:

Which city and state do you live in?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kg5388
posted Hide Post
Up at the campground where my camper is the owners spray malathion. We have very few mosquitos. He said the trick is to spray first and second day to kill what’s alive and what hatches the next day and then 3 days later to kill the next hatch.
We are not far from a creek and the river and surrounded by woods.

Posts: 1846 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got bit last summer and got something very similar to West Nile.
I could not believe how tired I was all the time.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stuck on
himself
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:

Dayton, OH. We’re not exactly neighbors...

Posts: 4177 | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:

Dayton, OH. We’re not exactly neighbors...

Nope. Not even the same state. Interesting there are confirmed outbreaks that far apart.

Posts: 12434 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post