SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    West Nile - it’s in my yard
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

West Nile - it’s in my yard Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
I could lease you 1/2 of my eastern brown furry bat colony. Big Grin

I put up 5 bat houses at the correct heights and directions - and they still insist in roosting in my soffits and behind shutters !

But - I have virtually no Mosquitos in the early and late evening hours.

I must be doing something wrong. As soon as dusk hits I see the bats swooping in a eating things, but no reduction in mosquito problem. How do you train yours to eat mosquitos?

Reminds me. I need to check my attic. I have no clue where the bats live during the day.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
I could lease you 1/2 of my eastern brown furry bat colony. Big Grin

I put up 5 bat houses at the correct heights and directions - and they still insist in roosting in my soffits and behind shutters !

But - I have virtually no Mosquitos in the early and late evening hours.

I must be doing something wrong. As soon as dusk hits I see the bats swooping in a eating things, but no reduction in mosquito problem. How do you train yours to eat mosquitos?

Reminds me. I need to check my attic. I have no clue where the bats live during the day.

They love to hang out under toilet seats...especially under the BEMUS brand toilet seats...bats are picky Eek

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
I use bird feeders. Not as effective as the bats but there’s a noticeable difference.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
I use bird feeders. Not as effective as the bats but there’s a noticeable difference.

Since one feeds in the day and the other at night, why not use bird feeders and bat houses?

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aquabird:
I got bit last summer and got something very similar to West Nile.
I could not believe how tired I was all the time.

Did you cure it ? Or can it ?

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8682 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post