SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Interior Painting Question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interior Painting Question Login/Join 
Picture of indigoss
posted
I painted my bathroom approximately two years ago. Every month or so, the paint will leach what looks like honey, leaving drip marks on the wall. So now I have decided to repaint the bathroom. Do I need to completely remove the old paint before adding new paint ? Can I buy some type of primer that will allow me to paint over the existing paint ?

Posts: 1278 | Location: West Palm Beach, FL | Registered: June 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I have the same issue in my bathroom. It was pretty bad on the ceiling. I washed what I could off and then used kilz over it. I can see where it's working it way through in places.

Posts: 11158 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
We had the same problem. Turned out to be cheap paint. That honey colored stuff is an emulsifier. It seems to never stop. We repainted with a 100% acrylic latex from Benjamin Moore. No more leaching....

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29683 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
Well, maybe Darthfuster is right. But I'm thinking that the problem probably isn't the paint.

Rather, it's probably the humidity. You're getting condensation on your bathroom wall/ceiling, and that's resulting in the honey-like drip marks.

If my guess is right, then what you need is better venting.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Make sure that you're not getting moisture coming through from behind the wall. ALSO, make sure you didn't use a flat paint.

Needless to say, I really like Benjamin Moore products, and would use one of their super-hide primers and then you are going to need to paint it with a paint with a Sheen, cannot use Flat in a bathroom. So an eggshell or semi gloss finish is what you want. The BEN brand of paint is a good one for a bathroom. The folks at Benjamin Moore stores are very knowledgable and helpful usually.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Wash it down with TSP or TSP substitute, then paint it with Kilz Premium. Topcoat should be a premium 100% acrylic. Unfortunately, you can usually tell the quality of paint by the price. Spending $60+ per gallon is worth it in the long run.

I'm getting ready to paint my pickup. $550 a gallon automotive paint makes $75 house paint seem cheap.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8215 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
Is this drywall or what?
And what did you paint with last time? Water based or solvent based? Was a primer used last time?
If the surface was wood, I'd think it was tannin bleed. A shellac based primer would take care of that.
If it's drywall, I'd be wondering about mold/mildew.
For areas like bathrooms, I like Zinsser Perma-White, which is mold/mildew proof

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I'm inclined to agree with C-Dubs ^^^ but maybe some pics might help define the issue better.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Surfactant leaching out is what causes those brown spots. No need to prime. Wash it and re-paint with good quality 100% acrylic.
Let it dry as long as you can and try to improve the air circulation.

-------------

The sadder but wiser girl for me.

Posts: 1056 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of indigoss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C-Dubs:
Is this drywall or what?
And what did you paint with last time? Water based or solvent based? Was a primer used last time?
If the surface was wood, I'd think it was tannin bleed. A shellac based primer would take care of that.
If it's drywall, I'd be wondering about mold/mildew.
For areas like bathrooms, I like Zinsser Perma-White, which is mold/mildew proof

The walls are drywall and were primed prior to painting the last time it was painted.

Posts: 1278 | Location: West Palm Beach, FL | Registered: June 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Also, even though you wipe it off before painting, you may see streaks during or after the first coat. Ignore them. Just make sure you get a good first coat. The top coat will cover all. The key is 100% acrylic. Will cost anywhere between 40.00 to 80.00 per gal depending.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29683 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of indigoss
posted Hide Post
I appreciate all the suggestions. I have had no mold issues so I will try the acrylic paint and see how that works.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by indigoss:
I appreciate all the suggestions. I have had no mold issues so I will try the acrylic paint and see how that works.

Also make sure it has some gloss to the finish. You need at least an "eggshell" finish paint for a bathroom. NOT a flat paint.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
Paint contractor for a number of years, I also did drywall finish work. Good suggestions here, two things stand out. Humidity(moisture) is the culprit followed by better paint selection to cure the issue. If using TSP, you must wipe down the area after application to remove any residue(newer formulas do not necessarily require this step). Most interior paints are acrylic/latex now days, so buy a name brand such as Benjamin Moore or others. Exhausting the moisture is key, leave a fan running and the bath door open for a longer time after shower use.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post