SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    First Light Through the Scope Last Evening
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First Light Through the Scope Last Evening Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted
Finally got the electronics set up, and was able to grab some great views of Jupiter (easy) and M3. Seeing was moderately unsteady.

Need to refine the polar alignment just a small bit as the image was not quite boresighted in the eyepiece for alignment

probably need to adjust the clock as well by about a minute - will do that tonight and double check the alignment

very dusty atmosphere last night - we've had 4 straight days of red flag conditions

so far so good

have contacted a contractor to now fabricate the pier for the scope so I can eliminate the tripod and isolate the scope from the building floor

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53176 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
What altitude is your observatory?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31435 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Jealous! LOL

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
My wife and I watched a segment this morning on CBS News Sunday Morning about astrophysicist, Neil DeGrasse Tyson. He spoke about his early interest in astronomy and his rooftop stargazing. Because we've lived in a number of places in the rural West with spectacular night skies, we've talked about an astral telescope several times. This morning's show rekindled that interest.

We lived on a ranch north of Wickenburg, and up around Williams, Arizona. Hope your night sky is similarly dark

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Awesome I am so jealous!

Maybe try a glock to deal with that high bore axis?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20819 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
My wife and I watched a segment this morning on CBS News Sunday Morning about astrophysicist, Neil DeGrasse Tyson.

I saw this as well. It was a great piece until CBS interjected their liberal agenda.

Back to the question: Will you be posting photos on the forum? I hope!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Jealous! I have a bunch of trees on the property, so often with the planets I don't bother aligning the scope. I'd love to have a fixed position observatory, but I'd need to build a 50' tall one or knock down about 15 tall trees. Neither very desirable.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post