SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Memorial Day Weekend - 2019
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Memorial Day Weekend - 2019 Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53176 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9156 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of adobesig
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1089 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HighZonie
posted Hide Post
Sen. Tom Cotton: 'Memorial Day is our most sacred holiday

THE HILL > https://thehill.com/hilltv/ris...-most-sacred-holiday

* Diligentia Vis Celeritis *
"Thus those skilled in war subdue the enemy's army without battle .... They conquer by strategy."
- Sun Tsu - The Art of War

"Fast is Fine, but Accuracy is Everything" - Wyatt Earp

Posts: 2900 | Location: Arizona Highlands - Pine Tree Country | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HighZonie
posted Hide Post
IN FLANDERS FIELDS

PHOTO >> http://www.flandersfieldsmusic...ip_image002_0005.jpg

FLANDERS FIELD MUSIC & POEM >>> http://www.flandersfieldsmusic.com/thepoem.html

* Diligentia Vis Celeritis *
"Thus those skilled in war subdue the enemy's army without battle .... They conquer by strategy."
- Sun Tsu - The Art of War

"Fast is Fine, but Accuracy is Everything" - Wyatt Earp

Posts: 2900 | Location: Arizona Highlands - Pine Tree Country | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
That photo of the young boy being given the flag brings a tear to my eye every single time I see it.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16513 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
We plan on going to the service at Mt. Soledad as we did last year, it was very moving.

Posts: 18057 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post

07-013--Luxembourg Am. Cem. and Mem.jpg
by David Casteel, on Flickr

197809-1-05 Verdun Memorial.jpg

197809-1-07 Verdun cemetery.jpg

And an old soldier seen at Arromanches, France on 5 Jun 2015. We owe so much to such men. (I'm not worried about posting this--he's probably dead by now and his eyes are covered.)

DSC_0440-2.jpg

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
That photo of the young boy being given the flag brings a tear to my eye every single time I see it.

Boy, me too!!

Posts: 6616 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
I recently learned that WWII Medal of Honor recipient Elmer Bigelow is buried in a small cemetery in a tiny town (Hebron, IL) about an hour from us.

The wife and I are going to take a drive out to make sure his grave is well tended, to pay our respects, and to pray for him and all our fallen service members.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6401 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Oh Boy! The last phot as soon as I realized what it was...I immediately breathed in and the tears welled! WOW.

ALL of these photos are so very moving. Thanks to all for posting.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
Oh Boy! The last phot as soon as I realized what it was...I immediately breathed in and the tears welled! WOW.

ALL of these photos are so very moving. Thanks to all for posting.

FN, here's her husband. He was a handsome man.

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53176 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
A soldier comes home.

https://www.washingtonpost.com...m_term=.f8beed39f1de

quote:
A World War II soldier from Montana who died on an island in the Pacific Ocean 75 years ago has been buried in his home state after his remains were identified last year.

A memorial and funeral with full military honors was held Saturday in Bozeman for Army Pvt. William A. Boegli, who was raised in Sedan, Montana.

He was killed while leading a group of litter bearers to evacuate wounded soldiers in the 1944 invasion of Angaur Island.

The Bozeman Chronicle reports Boegli was initially buried without identification on the island, and later moved to a cemetery at Fort McKinley in the Philippines. His remains were sent to Hawaii last year and identified using DNA comparisons with relatives.

During Saturday’s funeral, Boegli was awarded medals including a Purple Heart, Silver Star and WWII Victory Medal.

Posts: 11164 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Wow TMats, there is no way a normal person can look at those photos and not be moved.

A very good reminder.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Veterans Day 2012, northern Helmand Province.

Happy Memorial Day everyone.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post