Find
Notify
Tools

Sunglasses Login/Join 
Saluki
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zecpull:
As a professional driver. I wear Serengeti and I have tried Maui Jim.. and I have some Oakleys but always go back to Serengeti.
+1. 30 years in them I’ve tried others but they don’t do it for me. A fall day in drivers is a technicolor dream come true.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5149 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
none better than Maui Jim brand.

This, under the cry-once maxim.

This!

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
I find that many of the sun glasses marked (Polarized) aren't.

There’s an easy way to test that theory. The polarized insert is a sandwich between lenses that run horizontally. When you take two pairs of polarized sunglasses and turn them ninety degrees to each other, they should cancel each other out and you won’t be able to see through the lense.

It’s why nukeandpave has trouble under a motorcycle helmet.

For sport glasses, I like Kaenon and for fashion Suns, I like Maui.

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:Finding non-polarized lenses is difficult, and I can't understand why everyone likes them. Outside of fishing...I'm not sure I see the point. At least in flying, all of the screens become difficult to see (with rainbows across them), the same for the screens in my vehicles.

The HUD in my Yukon disappears when wearing polarized sunglasses.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
I wear, and recommend, Maui Jim. They are, however, expensive. Before I switched to Maui Jim I wore Native glasses, the "Sprint" model: about half the price of Maui Jim, and still very good.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I have been using Oakley Men's Flak Jacket XLJ's Polarized for the last 10 years or so. Very durable and the frame is bendable without breaking or deforming. I also dropped the lens on concrete and it did nothing more than scratch the bottom of the lens.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7070 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Any high end maker of polarized shades is fine; I wear Costa's at work, and Maui's at home, but have worn many over the years like Nikon, Vaurnet, Ray-Ban, to name a few. Whatever brand you settle on, check the warranty for terms. Maui's program is excellent.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15561 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Maui's program is excellent.

The nose pieces of the little rubber cover went missin last summer. I sent them an email and they responded they needed the model number. I returned it the same day and got two of the correct ones by FedEx the next day. Quick and painless.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig2392:
AO American Optical,

I have been wearing their pilot sunglasses for decades.

About $50,

I also have Maui Jims, and Oakley's

Seems I wear the AO most of the time

This also, we seem to have the same taste. I also wear my AO's more than others, they just seem to be easily dressed up or down and look very good. I chose the mat chrome frames and love that color.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I use Serengeti.
The auto darkening is very useful and works under almost all conditions.
I don't like wearing dark sunglasses indoors or if its not required.The adjustable feature solves that problem.

Posts: 4622 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out RCI Optics...I've been favoring them over my Maui Jim's and Costa's when out on the boat fishing.

Posts: 4 | Registered: April 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Knock off pair of Oakley and replace the lenses with Revant optical polarized. It's what I do... can be done for under $50 and you have a solid pair of shades. Each to their own though Smile

Posts: 106 | Registered: September 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerkyjer
posted Hide Post
Smith chromapops are my 1. I also have costas, oaks, zeal, revo. The smiths consistently get the most time on my face.
Polarized are great for driving and killing glare to see better, sometimes you can have issues seeing screens in the car, but it also seems like manufacturers have updated recently to allow.
Mauis are next. I’m in the biz and everyone raves about their CS. Pretty much best in the industry.

War Eagle!

Posts: 206 | Registered: April 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
The best lenses I ever wore were a pair of Vuarnets that I had for probably twenty years before putting them on one very cold morning and snapping them in half. Unfortunately they stopped making the model that I had and I didn't care for any of their then current models. The lenses though were phenomenal. A beautiful shade of amber that just lit everything up to crystal clear.

I've since gone to Serengeti and they are every bit as good...perhaps better.

Posts: 20088 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
Where do you guys buy your sunglasses? Are the best prices online, and if you get them online, how do you try them on to know if they look good on you?

Year V

Posts: 2630 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:
I've tried many different sunglasses, and although they run ~$200, there are none better than Maui Jim brand.

https://www.mauijim.com/US/en_...0Sunglasses%20-%20EX

I second this. Get polarized MJ's. I wear them morning/day/evenings and they are awesome. Bought two pair of Big Kahunas and had my perscription added to both. Crushed a pair (all bent to hell), sent them to MJ and for $10 they removed my lensess, put them in a brand new frame, and sent them back to me.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I am a huge Oakley fan, I find there gray to work well. I want to like the colored lenses, but they are to specialized for me and I don’t like the effect.

Then I got a set of Maui Jims in gray Polorized in my RX. They are awesome! I’m not 100% sold on polarization as it makes some things look weird, like other car windows and the display on my dash practically diasappears. They’ve been great to drive in otherwise. Their green or brown tint is the best I’ve found, though as I said, I’m not sold on colors yet.

Oakley’s are still my go to when I wear contacts and need a rated safety lens.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerkyjer
posted Hide Post
Check the vuarnet site and see if that style is avail. They started selling in the is again about 3yrs ago. Classic styles are avail, and they’re still glass lenses

War Eagle!

Posts: 206 | Registered: April 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
Some asshole stole a pair of Maui Jim's from my car about this same time last year. I ordered another identical pair the next day

Posts: 1811 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Maui Jim.

I have had a pair of their sunglasses (Volcano model, I believe) for over 20 years (yes, 20). At the time I bought them, they had the darkest tint of any others I tried. This was important to me as I have light sensitive eyes. I have used these sunglasses every day of the last 20 years. My only complaint is, as I get older, seems like my sunglasses have gotten bigger Eek.

I have had them repaired twice. About 15 years ago, I dropped them on some concrete, and it snapped an arm. $10, and ship them off, they fixed them like new. The second time, a few years ago, I was working on setting up targets on my range. I was drilling in a piece of wood, and holding the wood at the same time, when the drill slipped, and a 4x4 came back and smacked me right on my right eye. Smashed my Maui Jims to pieces. The plastic protective cover on the inside of the glass saved my eye. Once again, $10, and ship them off, and I got them back like new. They printed off a copy of why I was returning them and hung it in an employee break room to show how it saved my eye, or so I was told.

Can't say enough good about Maui Jim and their customer service. I will never own another brand of sunglasses.

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4929 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post